Calling those with an original 1653 copy of Ramesey

I have recently obtained an original 1653 copy of Ramesey's Astrologia Restaurata, but it is missing its title pages and frontis portrait of Ramesey himself. I am going to have the book rebound and I would like to replace the missing pages. It is possible to reprint the missing text on old paper in the original typeface, and it is possible to make an engraved plate using the technique of "photoengraving" to reproduce the frontis. In this way I can return the book into an 'original' state.

However, to accomplish this, I need a good quality (600 dpi) scan of an original image from an original 1653 book. If anybody has such a book and is prepared to do the scan, or have the scan done, or allow me to do the scan - I would be grateful is they would make contact with me.

Thanks very much,

Geoffrey

Hello Geoffrey,

I'm afraid I cannot help personally. Two people that might be able to assist you are Kim Farnell and Steven Birchfield as they have both researched the text in depth. Its always worth asking Philip Graves too as he is an authority on the antiquarian astrological book market.

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

Geoffrey,

My original copy is of the 1654 printing. It has the title page; but if you are sure that yours is that of 1653, it would therefore be a mismatch.

There was a third, much rarer printing in 1655.

The portrait is rare on all editions and does not seem to have been issued to more than a handful of copies in practice. Virtually all copies I've seen for sale (including mine) lack it. I don't think it's actually necessary for a complete copy because most of them were issued without it in the first place.