John Addey method - Horse Races

This chart is an event chart set for the 17:15 GMT house race at Wincanton, England, on 2nd April 2014. Here, I've used John Addey's method that was published in The Astrological Journal. The system is quite a simple one and he added ' I place my trust after trying it on well over a thousand races'.

?

The basics of the method is as follows:

Set the chart for the time and place of the race.
Use Campanus Houses.
Keep the planets still.
Move the 5th house cusp forward (anti-clockwise) until making the first aspect.

Also consider:

Name association.
House rulership.
other Accidental points.
Asscociation by the horses nature.

The first aspect that the 5th house cusp makes is to Jupiter at 11? 31' Cancer by opposition. the duel nature of the winner's name Jollyallen is shown by both Jupiter and the 12th house cusp (because a horse is bigger than a goat - they are ruled by the 12th house). The name Jolly is very obviously signified by Jupiter - the planet the cusp makes and almost?immediate aspect to. The name 'Allen' at first sight is not so obvious,?until one looks up the meaning of the name. I found this description of the name on?sheknows.com

??The name Allan is an?English baby name. In English the meaning of the name Allan is:Fair; handsome. Also both a (noble, bright) and an abbreviation of names beginning with Al-.

??'Noble and Bright' fit's in nicely with the Leo 12th house cusp.

Results

1st Jollyallen
2nd Abitofbob?
3rd Starlight Sonata?

[/img]

Normally i do, but sometimes looking there makes my brain hurt.

And i do like the 'association by the horses nature' bit.

One of my favourite horses, Billy Beetroot, was once described by his trainer i think it was as being 'An easy to get on with fellow, but sometimes he's a bit thick'. :D

lol, know exactly how you feel.

Currently doing all my work in excel.

Wish I could write some software like in Jigsaw, and just load in all the horse names together with the silk colours and betting odds. :lol:

Nathan,

I am too enamoured of this beautiful technique, but I have a doubt relating to the aspects to use, Frawley says use as many as you like, just like bodies in the sky, but people that seem to be more successful predicting seem to me as applying the more obscure aspects

I tried the comfort way of only adding to the usual ones quincux and semi-sextile, it is so comfortable, obviously, all you have to do is check the closest planet to the same degree in all the signs, but I didnt get good results

what Addey says in the original article? is it available online?

thnx a lot

Hariolus,

Personally, I don't pay too much attention to the type of aspect, although i have noticed that a dexter sextile seems to work quite well. When Mars was in Libra a few months ago, i noticed that a trine from the 5th to Mars in the 12th seemed to give me a horse that normally finished in the places.

Superior planets on angles also seem to have something to do with results as well. A few weeks ago, Saturn and Mars were conjunct on the Asc - a horse called 'Terror' won. I've also seen a few other examples with Saturn on the MC for instance.

I like to consider the 1st aspected planet, it's dispositer, term and associated houses.

This method is far from fool-proof, but i do seem to get better results in nursery, maiden and novice races than the group or listed contests.

The key is to let the symbolism speak to you, keep a copy of the Racing Post handy and always consider backing AP McCoy's next ride!

You might find the Addy Method in the Astrologer's Apprentice on Frawley's site, i think it's a free download - could be issue 5.
Verum e

I need to work on this, but I couldnt wait to thank you for your answer, Astrogooner :) Thank you!

However I was not implying that the type of aspect has any relevance. Frawley says use as many celestial bodies as you please, and as many aspects as you please, so several formulas are possible. Someone working with classic aspects only misses some 5th house first contacts obviously. I admit that, as so often happens in astrology, the same answer can come via a different symbolic scheme.

And I am aware that most misses are gonna happen at the name-association stage, I seriously mean to learn some Arabic vocabulary and Arthurian legend to help me out in that, if I find the time. But there is where the beauty of the technique lies, it is possitively artistic.

Your addition of considering angles makes sense to me: most others sport techniques turn around that: what has potentiality to "act.

What if 5th cusp is at late degree and makes no aspect with either of the planets?

Normally races dont start on exact time of the race (due to horse misbehaving etc.) what do we do then?

Jibreil wrote:What if 5th cusp is at late degree and makes no aspect with either of the planets?

Normally races dont start on exact time of the race (due to horse misbehaving etc.) what do we do then?
Move it until you find one.
Last edited by ModWasp on Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Verum e

Jibreil wrote:What if 5th cusp is at late degree and makes no aspect with either of the planets?

Move it until you find one.
Verum e

What if 5th cusp is at late degree and makes no aspect with either of the planets?

- Move it until you find one.
Verum e

Move the cusp on until you find a planet, as astrogooner says, across signs if necessary.
Don't forget to check antiscia. A planet at 2 degrees will have it's antiscion at 28 degrees so that might give you your "hit".
Jibreil wrote:Normally races dont start on exact time of the race (due to horse misbehaving etc.) what do we do then?
I use the official start time. I think Frawley has written recently that a major football match was given a different start time to usual.... something like 7pm instead of 2pm. The chart for the traditional time worked much better than the actual time.