Pearce assumes that in cases of mental illness the Moon and Mercury (mind) would be afflicted by planets with particularly destructive potential. This is in fact quite a logical assumption, since the Moon represents the personal subconscious and one's emotional base whereas Mercury signifies the mental functions.

In the case you recently presented in the forum's "general" section, I was also guided to the native's Moon and Mercury rather quickly.

In the text you are referring to, it's Mars, Saturn and Uranus which are influencing the Moon and Mercury negatively by conjunction, square or opposition.

A case I'm personally familiar with shows none of these, even though there is a quincunx from Saturn to the Moon, and a semisextile from Saturn to Mercury. What seems significant in this case, however, are Neptune square Moon and Pluto square Mercury.

A small collection of famous people with mental illnesses can be found here (it should be easy to get their natal charts):

http://www.mentalillnessdefinition.com/ ... l-illness/

However, "mental illness" is nothing more than an umbrella term for many kinds of disorders affecting the psyche, as you will learn here:

http://www.mentalillnessdefinition.com/ ... ders-list/

Various disorders could certainly be seen reflected in specific ways in an affected person's chart.

This being said, it should be well remembered that even precisely defined mental health problems are often still quite vague in practical application. While reoccurring patterns can be observed, there are as many different disturbances as there are sufferers, really.

This concept shouldn't be too hard to grasp for astrologers... It could arguably even be said that astrology's categorization of the psyche is more immediately descriptive than modern psychology's or psychiatry's. Which ultimately leads to Paracelsus' requirement that every medical doctor needs to be versed in astrology!

Personally, I had the wonderful opportunity to work with astrology and holistic therapies in close association with a psychiatrist during six years. I learnt a lot about astrology as well as about the human psyche in that time.

Michael

Michael Sternbach wrote:
Hi John

Before your thread goes into oblivion, would you mind giving a little more information about the case?

Thanks
Michael
Hello Michael,

Just to let you know Johnd is no longer a member here so you will not be receiving a reply to this post.

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly