There is always a connection between opposite houses and I think Lilly. hanged his ideas later

I suggest a trip to the local mosque is third whilst the Haj to Mecca is 9th. Looking at Deb's book the is exotic locations
Matthew Goulding

The quotation you cite (correctly) from a website is corrupting Lilly's original text (without them giving the least hint to do so) because in fact Lilly gives distances as you can read here - William Lilly, CA, p. 195:

"Of a short Journey, if good to goe, yea or no; which
way intended.

By a short Journey I intend twenty, thirty or forty miles,
or so farre from ones home, as he may goe and come in a day,
or at lest on the next; now if you would know whether it will
be best for you to goe, yea or not: herein consider the Lord of
the Ascendant at the time of propounding the Question, and [...]
"
Last edited by johannes susato on Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

johnd wrote:
I`ve always thought that by short trips(3rd house),they meant short distances,but from what I see in the link, Lily actually means short term trip,like going today and come back in two days.
In modern context where do we draw the line?
I could fly to Australia and come back in two weeks,but in 1600 it would take ages
Hi John

I guess, whether a trip is a 3rd house or a 9th house issue doesn't depend so much on the physical distance covered but on what it means to the individuals concerned. A rather short trip inside the country can be a big adventure for a child, an elderly or handicapped person, whereas there are people for whom it's just business as usual to travel around half the planet one day and come back the next.

This could explain why the short / long trip assignations to the 3rd / 9th house can still hold true even though these words had far different meanings to earlier astrologers.

Conceivably, for an ant to travel from one corner of my garden to another may be a 9th house issue. :lol:
Last edited by Michael Sternbach on Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Morin also sees opposite houses as inseparable.I have an empty third and a full 9th. I avoid making friends in the neighbourod and seek them miles away to enable me to avoid friends when i dont want to see them

That is right about Morin,John I am sure. Can't check right now but I think he thought illness was twelfth. Earlier today I searched for something by Lilly on this too. It was after CA

Will look again when home

Regards to you

Matthew
Matthew Goulding

Johannes wrote:"Scholarship" should treat "sacred texts" better!

Problems like this make Sue Ward (for example) give the advice always to stick to the facsimile texts if possible.
Hi Johannes, just wanted to point out that the sacred texts website actually does a very good job of reproducing the text they show. But this is not reproducing Lilly's work directly, but Zadkiel's edition of it, which is better thought of as being like a paraphrased edition.

Deb wrote:
Johannes wrote:"Scholarship" should treat "sacred texts" better!

Problems like this make Sue Ward (for example) give the advice always to stick to the facsimile texts if possible.
Hi Johannes, just wanted to point out that the sacred texts website actually does a very good job of reproducing the text they show. But this is not reproducing Lilly's work directly, but Zadkiel's edition of it, which is better thought of as being like a paraphrased edition.
Thanks for the hint, Deb!

To be precise, Zadkiel edited the original
"WITH NUMEROUS EMENDATIONS, ADAPTED TO THE IMPROVED STATE OF THE SCIENCE"
BY ZADKIEL
- one of which has been the addition of the planet Uranus (Neptune not beeing discovered yet) besides the omissions by Zadkiel without evidence we have an example of above).

Thanks again.

Yes, no one ought to be using this in the assumption that it's Lilly's text. On the other hand, at one time it was the only accessible edition of Lilly's work so it helped to keep an active interest in horary at a time when other texts were scarce.