do you all believe in auras?

I was thinking the other day that perhaps auras are like our spiritual bodies, while the natal chart is like the genes for our spiritual bodies. Just as some people have genes that allow them to have more robust and strong bodies, the natal chart in the same way determines the strength of our auras/spiritual bodies. (as well as obviously influencing the physical body as well) For example, in my chart I have mercury square saturn, which I have read can caused a tendency towards negative thinking. Negative thinking can in turn lead to an unhealthy aura. Hence the aura is affected (albeit indirectly) by our natal chart. Thus if one is aware of their natal chart and how it effects their general mindset, then one can take appropriate steps to mitigate the effects of negative aspects on ones aura and can subsequently achieve greater spiritual and even physical health. (relative to their natal chart) What do you all think about this?

I feel this is roughly analogous to somebody that has the genes for obesity, but if they exercise enough and eat right then they can mitigate the influence of their genes, likewise maybe we can mitigate the negative influences of our natal chart to a degree by practicing healthy spiritual habits.

Hi Astro-Novice

For talking about this fascinating subject, we first must define our terms a little, otherwise things will tend to get confusing.

Perhaps the auras could be defined as the outer appearances of our "spiritual bodies" or what is visible thereof to a psychic or certain kinds of technological equipment (Kirlian photography etc). - Frankly, I find the term quite unclear... I prefer to talk instead about the subtle bodies (the spiritual body being one of them). There are many different models for them; a simple one differentiates:

- etheric body (closest to and most directly controlling your physical body);
- emotonial body (where your emotions are happening);
- mental body (where your thought processes happen);
- spiritual body (transpersonal experiences, source of intuition an
guidance etc)

Again, there are many theories as to how the various subtle bodies are linked to different planets, especially by way of the chakras. The chakras themselves being seen in affinity with specific planets.

It's really hard to get clear about the matter, with so many different theories en vogue...

However, the view that the celestial bodies are sending etheric influences down to our planet in general and to us in particular is a very ancient one and was generally taken for granted in earlier cultures (including neo-Platonism). It forms the basis for astral magic and astromedicine (or iatro-chemistry) and is spoken about in their most influential texts such as the Asclepius, the Occulta philosophia, the Picatrix, and the writings of Paracelsus.

In absence of hardcore scientific evidence for any subtle astral influences, in modern times many astrologers resorted to a theory that the planetary positions are merely symbolical for what is happening on our planet, or paralleling it by way of synchronicity. Arguably, this change of perspective was often motivated by a (may I say, quite useless) endeavour to approach the modern scientific outlook.

However, modern research into gravitational and electromagnetic interactions in the Solar system, and their effects on the human glandular system, etc suggest that the last word has not been spoken on the matter yet.

Personally, I think both views are valid, one representing a temporal aspect (the planets in the zodiac and houses as a giant "cosmic watch", indicating the quality of any given time), the other a spatial aspect (ether fields/rays).

AstroNovice wrote:
Thus if one is aware of their natal chart and how it effects their general mindset, then one can take appropriate steps to mitigate the effects of negative aspects on ones aura and can subsequently achieve greater spiritual and even physical health.
I totally agree with you! Most of all, I strongly advise anybody to focus on the potential of their chart rather than its difficult expressions. As this guides their energies in the right direction.

For example, Mercury square Saturn can manifest as negative thinking but also, expressed on its positive side, as the capability of introspection, helping you to critically examine your own thinking.

Moreover, never let your natal chart limit you. Use it as just another tool to understand yourself and your world.
I feel this is roughly analogous to somebody that has the genes for obesity, but if they exercise enough and eat right then they can mitigate the influence of their genes, likewise maybe we can mitigate the negative influences of our natal chart to a degree by practicing healthy spiritual habits.
Agreed again! In fact, Bruce Lipton nicely summarizes some recent research done on how the (de)activation of any particular genes by way of the mitochondrias depends on a number of different influences, including psychospiritual ones.

I like the way you consider the natal chart to be "genes" of the spiritual (or subtle) bodies. The natal chart can indeed be seen as generic for yourself / your Self.

Best wishes
Michael

great! I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who has thought of this before. Lately I've been experimenting with cleansing my aura and seeing what effect it has on my life, so far the results are inconclusive, but im going to continue to experiment with this and see what I can discover. Do you have any person anecdotes regarding the aura?

A practical way to work with subtle energies in conjunction with astrology would be using the so-called Starlight Elixirs (Pegasus Products, Colorado). For manufacturing them, the light of a star or planet is captured by a telescope and projected into water that then gets programmed with the energy. I made some really interesting experiences with them. Additionally, I find the accompanying descriptions of the traits of the fixed stars and other objects quite helpful in my astrology.

BTW, the following funny website is surprisingly informative concerning the various ways that astrological energies and the subtle bodies could be linked.

http://www.thegalaxyexpress.com/13th-gate