Choosing Significators in Sport

There is an interesting discussion in the February Football thread about significators. I thought it would be helpful to have a thread devoted to the issue, and offer my thoughts to start off the discussion.

Thinking about football - the usual allocation is the home team is shown by L1 and the away team by L7. Alternatively, the favourite is shown by L1 and the underdog by L7. Some people suggest that if the significator assigned in this way is the Moon, then its dispositor should be used instead.

My experience is that the above methods are not very reliable. This is shown particularly when there are a number of matches at the same time and have the same sign rising but different results.

An alternative that has been suggested on this forum is to use colours. These could be assigned on the basis of the colour usually associated with a team, such as Red for Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd., etc. Blue for Chelsea, Everton, etc. Or they could be the colours worn by a team on the day - so Liverpool in their away kit would not be red.

Although some colour associations with planets are clear, such as Mars and Red, Moon and white, Sun and yellow/orange, others are not so obvious and not universally agreed.

We can also assign significators based on the traditional ruler of a town, or the nickname of a club - so Everton are known as the Toffees, which might suggest Venus.

Different people tend to use different methods to allocate significators, and it would be good if we could try to find evidence to help us decide which method(s) are best. Perhaps we need to spend more time analysing unexpected results :)

Finally, these questions about colours and names are, of course, also relevant to horse racing.

Hi Graham,

glad you opened this thread! :)

My contribution so far: As you said in another post, the base statistics for the House Team winning are around 44% and the visitors around 30% (these are the numbers from my dataset, although yours are near these). Also, the favorite wins about 52% of the games, and the underdog something around 19%..

That made me think that another hypothesis could be to test the assignment of significators according to some properties, as for instance, the most angular planet would be the favorite, the next to the underdog, and compare their accidental dignities, etc. The rationale for this is that an angular planet is more "visible" and maybe perceived as the favorite, but the "score" would be given to their intrinsic dignity scores..

This is just to add more possibilities besides those you listed! Which ones work, I still don't have a clue..

Jo?o Ventura

Great thread, GB - I'd like to contribute by looking towards tomorrow's racing at Wetherby - hope it's not rained off.

I am using the Addey method, minor aspects, and excluding the outer planets.

13:45 - Saturn (Scorpio) - Decile 0.98
- Shan Valley (To Place)

Valley for Saturn and black & orange for ruler Mars. Lean Burn also runs and that seems to resonate with Saturn and Mars also.

14:15 - Mars (Libra) - Conjunction 0.77
- Fair Bramble (To Win)

Bramble for Mars and Fair for Libra. Silk colours are obvious.

14:50 - Moon (Libra) Square Jupiter (Cancer) - Semi-Sextile 3.62
- Heavenstown (To Place)

Name is obvious but not sure on the silk colours. Maybe green for Moon & Jupiter.

15.25 - Venus (Capricorn) - Sextile 1.68
- Wood Yer (To Win)

Only connection I could see here is wood for Capricorn.

15:55 - Moon (Libra) Square Jupiter (Cancer) - Semi-Square 0.30
- Fine Rightly (To Win)

Fine and Rightly for Libra & Jupiter but I cannot make a connection with the silk colours.

16:30 - Mars (Libra) - Nonile 1.57
- Massena (To Win)

Massena was a French military commander and the silks match.

17:00 - Venus (Capricorn) - Decile 0.22
- Lady Buttons (To Win)

Name is obvious but not sure if Venus vibrates to purple.

I notice that some of your aspects have very tight orbs, and races often start slightly late. We should look at the results in relation to the actual start time of the race. It will be interesting to look at the results tomorrow.

There are two suggestions that are sometimes made about racing that we should also be considering. First, that it is the scheduled start time that matters, not the actual start time. Second that the result is determined at the end of the race, and so we should look at the chart for the end of the race. With very tight aspects, start and end times can make a difference.

We need to observe the results and learn :)

Yes, I wouldn't consider an aspect less than 0.15 - I always look to the next aspect.

I will try and record the actual start times for all 7 races.

The timing for the end of the race is always something I have wrestled with - I decided to stick with the 'birth of the event' and always use the start time for horse racing.

It will be interesting to perform a detailed analysis tomorrow evening. :)

Thanks for opening this thread GB

My present thoughts are not to look for significators, rather to consider the Moon as a general significator for whether the outcome will be as expected, or not. This is also in connection with looking at the LHR and Lord of the Ascendant.

With respect to horse racing, does the 'quality of the moment' indicate if the race will proceed as expected, that is the favourite will win, or not.

john wrote:Thanks for opening this thread GB

My present thoughts are not to look for significators, rather to consider the Moon as a general significator for whether the outcome will be as expected, or not. This is also in connection with looking at the LHR and Lord of the Ascendant.

With respect to horse racing, does the 'quality of the moment' indicate if the race will proceed as expected, that is the favourite will win, or not.
Hi John,

care to show an example?

I have already experimented something with the Moon, the house and sign where it is located, and the next application, etc., and I could find a very small correlation with the winner and number of goals, but I can't interpret it (too much datamining software experimenting)..

Jo?o Ventura

RESULTS

13:45 - Saturn (Scorpio) - Decile 0.98
- Shan Valley (To Place) 2nd

Valley for Saturn and black & orange for ruler Mars. Lean Burn also runs and that seems to resonate with Saturn and Mars also.

14:15 - Mars (Libra) - Conjunction 0.77
- Fair Bramble (To Win) 3rd

Bramble for Mars and Fair for Libra. Silk colours are obvious.

14:50 - Moon (Libra) Square Jupiter (Cancer) - Semi-Sextile 3.62
- Heavenstown (To Place) 2nd

Name is obvious but not sure on the silk colours. Maybe green for Moon & Jupiter.

15.25 - Venus (Capricorn) - Sextile 1.68
- Wood Yer (To Win) Unplaced

Only connection I could see here is wood for Capricorn.

15:55 - Moon (Libra) Square Jupiter (Cancer) - Semi-Square 0.30
- Fine Rightly (To Win) Won

Fine and Rightly for Libra & Jupiter but I cannot make a connection with the silk colours.

16:30 - Mars (Libra) - Nonile 1.57
- Massena (To Win) Won

Massena was a French military commander and the silks match.

17:00 - Venus (Capricorn) - Decile 0.22
- Lady Buttons (To Win) Won

Name is obvious but not sure if Venus vibrates to purple.

So we got a 72% strikerate in our judgement using names but not sure how to analyse colours, GB.

Hi Joao

Thanks for asking.

As it is topical, I hope it is ok with me keeping to horse racing today at Wetherby. I hope Neptunehead is also ok with me running with this theme.

Joao, you provided some interesting statistics on the February thread regarding planetary combinations. My interest is not so much to do with straight planetary combinations/accidental dignities, rather I'm looking at essential dignities/qualities.

As Andrew Bevan has said, and I am in agreement with, this Forum is experimental.

Back to todays races. Some of the races only had 3/4/5 horses running.

Race 1 - radical: LHR and ASC ruler same sign - favourite won
Race 2 - LHR 29 degrees and Ascendant 29 degrees. I would have gone not radical. Favourite Lost
Race 3 - LHR and Ascendant ruler not radical. Favourite lost
Race 4 - Not radical. Favourite won
Race 5 - Radical, LHR Asc ruler in same sign. Favourite won
Race 6 -Radical by triplicity. Favourite won
Race 7 - Radical by humoral quality. Favourite won

I appreciate it is just one example, but I trust it illustrates how I am looking at this area. So if the chart is radical I would generally expect the favourite to win. It becomes a little more complicated with football.

Hi, John

What a thought provoking post, thank you so much for sharing.

I am a complete novice when it comes to using Lord Of The Hour, and I hope you don't mind me asking you some questions.

Race 2

Do you judge this as being not radical because both LHR & Asc ruler are at 29 degrees and carry the essence of the next sign?

Races 3 & 4

Is a chart judged as not radical even though LHR & Asc ruler share the same ruler?

Races 6 & 7

I understand race 6 as being radical because of triplicity ruler saturn but is race 7 also radical because Libra & Aquarius are air (same humoral quality)?

I hope I have framed these questions correctly, and thank you in advance.