For Practitioners: Time and Place?

I have recently been working on adapting a classical Sanskrit horary text for a contemporary Western audience. The assumption in the text, not surprisingly, is that clients come to the home of the astrologer; therefore, the horary chart is erected for the time that the client poses the question to the astrologer, using the latitude and longitude of the astrologer's place of residence. Of course this mode of working would be equally applicable to traditional Western astrologers like Lilly and Bonatti.

In order to make this particular style of horary astrology available to a Western readership, I must adapt it to contemporary Western practice -- to an age in which most astrologers never meet the client face to face, but receive the query through e-mail and answer over skype, etc.

My understanding is that the majority of contemporary horary practitioners use the time that they open the client's e-mail as the time of the query, and the city where the astrologer has her/his office is commonly used for the location.

Is my assumption correct, or are there variations in practice that I ought to mention in order to provide my readership with truly accurate information?

I once had a discussion with a famous horary practitioner who was well versed in Sidereal (Indian) as well as Tropical (Tajik- Persian Arabic) horary. People wrote letters to him asking questions. He always asked them to write the time (& date) when they wrote the question, however, he set the chart according to the time,date & place when he understood the question.

Actually the point of discussion should be 'Is Horary Astrologer Centered or Client Centered?, Tradition points to the former.

I dont see any traditional astrologer coming with an exception in my experience, however, Derek Appleby and Lee Lehman (the modern ones) have different ideas too.
Regards

Morpheus

https://horusastropalmist.wordpress.com/

Bonatti thought astrologers should not answer their own horary questions, but Lee Lehman - and the vast majority other astrologers too I suspect - admits that it is legitimate for an astrologer to set a chart to answer his/her own horary question.

Lee's point is that experienced astrologers know when to recognise the horary moment when it comes upon them, and not to waste time setting charts for trivial matters or out of idle curiosity. However, such an astrologer may need help in clearing a path to a delineation and Lee is happy to accept the querent's time and place in those circumstances. Otherwise, she generally follows convention and uses the time and place where she understood the question.

The understanding, though, is that the person who sets the chart is ultimately responsible for the delineation, which is a position which I think most astrologers here would accept.

Geoffrey stated:
Bonatti thought astrologers should not answer their own horary questions, but Lee Lehman - and the vast majority other astrologers too I suspect - admits that it is legitimate for an astrologer to set a chart to answer his/her own horary question.
William Lilly, CA, beginning p. 166:

"Of the time of receiving any Q U E S T I O N.

It hath been disputed largely amongst the Arabians, who
were excellent in the resolution of Horary Questions, what
time the Astrologer should take for the ground of his Question,
whether that time when the Querent first comes into ones
House or Closet, or first salutes the Artist, whether that is to be
admitted for the most proper time or erecting a Figure, and
giving Judgement thereupon. Though some have consented to
this opinion, yet I could never be satisfied herein either with
reason or experience: for let us admit one comes to demands a
Resolution of me, and we converse together a good while; but
in the end, some occasion intervenes, and we depart: I hope
no sound Judgment will allow of this time to be the Radix of a
Question (whenas none is really demanded) viz. at what time
he first saw me, or entered my house and speake with me.
...This way and manner have I practised, and found successe
answerable: And whereas Bonatus and some others doe give
warning that the Astrologian judge not his owne Question, and
say he cannot tell how to accept of a question from himselfe;
this I conceive was his reason, Because he thought the Artist
would be partiall to himselfe in his judgment: Verily I am of a
contrary opinion and have found by many experiments, that at what .... "

It's notable to remember Bonatus warned of this and in Lilly's 4th house matters it becomes very evident in the horary in CA on Master B's house that Lilly felt somewhat regretful buying the houses thereafter which again explains Bonatti's insistence upon this principle as Lilly had many troubles with those houses that he bought from Master B!

Clinton Garrett Soule

Wise men truly know how little they know