What kind of chart do you prefer to read for horary?

Hello to you all and thank you for keeping this forum active.

I would like to post a horary question, but I've seen all kinds of different possibilities for charts, tropical, sidereal and heliocentric - and therefore I ask you who are active in here reading into horary charts;

What kind of charts do you prefer posted for a horary question?

Most people use tropical and then Regimontanus house system for horary.
I myself am not sure which one is the most accurate, tropical, sidereal or heliocentric.

lifestudent

I'm not sure it matters, for you, whether other prefer Regiomontanus and whether to use tropical or sidereal. Personally I would ignore Heliocentric though.

I think horary is one of the places where we cannot separate the astrologer from the astrology and if you have a symbolic connection with, say, sidereal, then you should probably cast your charts with the sidereal zodiac. I can say that there was at least one example of that on the sidereal forum and my memory of it was it seemed to make sense (as in it seemed to have a symbolic story being told in it). That said, I am a tropical astrologer so it wouldn't be appropriate, necessarily, for me to cast in the sidereal zodiac. I do not think it boils down to one being objectively better than the other, I think it is much more about catering for the idiosyncrasy of the astrologer because the astrologer is an important part of the equation.

Most people use Regiomontanus for no better reason than that one particularly noteworthy and popular horary astrologer, William Lilly, used Regiomontanus, and he probably used it more from convenience of having access to those tables. His sources are likely to have used other house systems, like Alcabitius.

In conclusion then, when you post on skyscript with a horary you are taking on a certain responsibility to act as The Astrologer of the matter. You call the shots, you're in charge, it's your chart. It corresponds and connects most specifically with your own idioscyncrasies and what you bring to the table in terms of your own symbolic understanding of the chart and the your astrology.

Others may well take a different view to me on this, but I do not believe in an objective set of criteria which is more efficient/accurate than another, when it comes to things like which house system to use, which zodiac to use etc.

On another forum I was quite happy to, for example, interpret a horary in whole sign houses in the sidereal zodiac because I think the same 'rules' and approaches apply and I think it's more important to keep the authenticity of the chart as resting with the astrologer who is responsible for it and what is symbolically meaningful to them as individuals.

Thank you for your answer Paul, it is indeed helpful.

I had thought of this maybe being the case, that I am the one who decides what kind of chart and preferences for my chart.

Do you read into horary charts?
I have a very important question, concerning not only myself, but thousands of other people as well.

lifestudent wrote:Do you read into horary charts?
I have a very important question, concerning not only myself, but thousands of other people as well.
As you can see this forum consists of horary questions.

Why don't you try to give us your question and its chart, lifestundent?

lifestudent wrote:Thank you for your answer Paul, it is indeed helpful.

I had thought of this maybe being the case, that I am the one who decides what kind of chart and preferences for my chart.

Do you read into horary charts?
Yes, you should dictate your own preferences. That said, the most popular tends to be using tropical and regiomontanus, placidus or alcabitius houses for people online, from what I can make out. Probably in that order.

Obviously I do read horary charts, everyone who posts here regularly are committed students of horary astrology and this forum helps serve as a medium for other horary astrologers to chime in and offer help and suggestions and guidance to other astrologers who are reading their own charts. The idea being that you are also a committed student of horary, you have a chart, you have your own judgement which you post here, and then others, myself included, may also offer suggestions and opinions.

Ultimately though you are the astrologer and the final judgement to your client, or yourself if it is for you, rests with you.