"God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference."

i was reminded of this reading your post.

everything hinges on the natal chart.. is it a man or a womens chart? important details like this matter too.

without knowing any of that, i think commenting is frivolous.

i don't see a mars/saturn conjunction as a terrible thing! it could be good for getting a lot of work done and has the potential to increase ones focus and concentration so that much good can be done.. i think the square and opposition between these 2 planets is more challenging and potentially conflictual..

Its a mans chart.

I would like to think that a saturn/mars conjunction would be fairly positive, but its certainly not something I'm counting on. Astrologically speaking, I lean towards the more traditional interpretations, so naturally I get a little bit concerned when both the lesser and greater malefics join together to come give me a visit :(

are they badly situated in the natal chart? what is there relationship in the natal chart?

i don't really care whether the astrology is traditional or modern.. i am interested in accurate relevant interpretations and that has nothing to do with either, but everything to do with the astrologer doing the astrology.

AstroNovice wrote:so naturally I get a little bit concerned when both the lesser and greater malefics join together to come give me a visit :(
We all do however, people go through misery when Saturn and Mars are not aspecting each other and win battles when they're conjunct.

The "malefics" are not visiting you - you have one Solar return chart with this conjunction, that's all. In order to even start thinking about its potential influence on your life, you need to:
a) compare it to your Natal chart
b) compare it to other predictive methods that you use (directions, profesctions, solar arcs, progressions...anything).

And, when I say to examine the "influence" influence of the conjunction, I don't mean "to check as to how bad it is going to be" but, to see as to what exactly this conjunction might affect in your life and to start from there. A strong influence onto your financial situation is surely not the same as a strong influence onto your love life.

Use the symbolism of the conjunction inside a specific house / sign.
Then see in which Natal house the SR house falls - that will give you an even better insight into the situation. The conjunction being placed inside a certain Natal house will have its own meaning whilst the overlapping of the SR and Natal houses indicates the segments of life that are most likely to be overlapping. (I don't generally examine this in a way to expect a 100% correct result but I do take it into consideration).
When you have nailed down the area of life that is most likely to be affected based on your SR chart - see as to how the house ruling that area of life looks like in your profectional chart, or if you don't use it, compare the "result" with other predictive charts (if it's finance, check your progressed or directed Venus etc.).
Finaly (although, that is probably one of the first things that we do) - see if the conjunction is aspecting your Natal conjunction and, at this point I have to say that I wouldn't treat platic and exact aspects equally.
james_m wrote: i think the square and opposition between these 2 planets is more challenging and potentially conflictual..
I agree! I have a Mars/Saturn square (1st/10th) in my Natal chart and I have noticed that disturbing periods are usually triggered by stressful SR aspects attacking my Natal square or, in better words, when either of the malefics forms a square with one of the malefics in my Natal chart and activates the natal square. Probably the most stressful year, in my case, was when SR Mars was conjunct my natal Saturn - then, it also squared its own natal placement. However, that wasn't the only promise of negative influences for that year - I also had some very stressful directions.
Has anyone experienced this before? If so, can you tell me what happened? Especially if the mars/saturn conjunction was configured to the natal ascendant or its ruler in any way. I have a solar return coming up in a few years that has this configuration and its already sending chills down my spine.

Surely, we've seen this conjunction in SR charts many times but, the conjunction alone can't tell us much. What influence does it have onto the Ascendant? In which house is it? Where are the planets in your Natal chart?

Mars and Saturn conjunction is a bit odd. Remember that conjunction is like mixing 2 planets together and forcing it to act as one, even if those planets don't actually get along.

Saturn's signs in Mars has the ability to impose discipline (Capricorn/lesser extent Aquarius) and thus Saturn can improve the quality of Mars, however Mars' signs in Saturn is out of order and causes Saturn to be in worse position (Aries/lesser extent Scorpio). The result is Mars/Saturn conjunction creates a starvation effect where NEITHER planet would compromise, which creates extremes.
0? Libra Jupiter conjunct 3? Libra Saturn
both conjunct 3? Libra AC

I couldn't help but to notice one thing. I had Mars/Saturn partile conjunct in my 2008/2009 SR chart. In addition, the SR Asc for that year fell exactly on my natal Asc and the conjunction was sitting on it. Since Mars and Saturn form a partile square in my Natal chart, by being only 5? away from my Natal Saturn, they actually activated the square.
So, let's make a list:
Saturn/Mars conjunct Natal Asc
Saturn/Mars conjunct SR Asc
Saturn/Mars conjunction conjunct Natal Saturn
Saturn/Mars conjunction squaring Natal Mars

I tried to determine the time when the Aspect was most active and I got the period around the beginning of September. I check the thread again and noticed that I joined Skyscript on 5th September 2008. :lol:

Yes, I remember one stressful event back at the same time however, I also remember that my reaction to the event was very exaggerated (nothing really bad happened only it seemed as if the world was collapsing for a few days and the event left a very bitter taste in my mouth for quite some time. But I'd say that the aspect activated my sensitivity rather than stressful outer influences).

Re: how bad is an angular mars/saturn conjunction in a SR ch

AstroNovice wrote:Has anyone experienced this before? If so, can you tell me what happened? Especially if the mars/saturn conjunction was configured to the natal ascendant or its ruler in any way. I have a solar return coming up in a few years that has this configuration and its already sending chills down my spine.
bad SR can not spoil a good natal neither good SR can not fix bad natal

you did not set the SR neither natal chart ... and natal chart is still the main 8)