quick question about general rulership

does anyone know which planet is the universal/general ruler for food? I thought it was the moon, but I can't find any traditional sources that say so, on the contrary I can only find sources talking about what kinds of food certain planets represent. I did read however lilly remarking that the moon rules the stomach though, but nothing directly about food/nourishment in a general sense.

Food in general is a REALLY broad topic.

Many times food associations are given for purposes of a determining foods to fortify one's health, or to help alleviate symptoms. Planetary associations for specific foods can be quite helpful for these purposes.

Of course, cooking and natural cooking ability is generally the Moon. If you are looking to food abundance or scarcity, that is a more complicated reading where one would look to many of the planets for different things. The Moon is of great importance in timing planting and harvesting. Saturn can indicate scarcity, and Mars can indicate drought. Jupiter and Venus can indicate abundance.

If one is looking to elect a chart for a diet, that is a bit more complex than just simple planetary associations. Difficulties with digestion would come under medical uses for astrology.

So, maybe if you let us know what you are looking at, we can help you better.

Well, what caused me to ask this question is that this month i discovered how much money I can save by using coupons for food, and in my lunar return chart for this month I have the moon conjuncting sun in the fourth house. (sun is the second house ruler) So that's what made me wonder if maybe the moon has a connection with food or something, because since finding out how much money I can save by using coupons for food I have certainly had a much thicker wallet!

The following attributions are given in Lee Lehman's The Book of Rulerships, page 96.

Food: 5th House (Al Biruni)
Food: 11th house Al Biruni
Foods: Sun (Al Biruni)
Food, Selling; Moon (Al Biruni)

The commerce part is probably not what you had in mind, but food grows and the Moon is the symbol of change, movement and fertility. But I think it would also include buying of food. We can't sell if there is no buyer.

The others are interesting. The 5th house is pleasure so this might be limited to fine dining not every day sustenance. The 11th is gifts from God, so this is closer to our need for food. And the Sun represents the power of generation. Food grows.

wow, thats some really interesting information, at least with regards to the 5th/11th/sun relations to food. I didn't expect that at all. Anyways, it sounds like in this situation, the moon may very well be the best descriptor for food; so I guess I will go along with that interpretation. Thanks tom ;)