waybread wrote: Intending no disrespect to those who love traditional astrology for its own sake I sometimes wonder why, if traditional astrology worked so well in the past, western society decided to dispense with it by the late 17th century. Surely by the Enlightenment, the weight of church prohibitions lost a lot of their force. During the 19th century, an emergent business class should have paid handsomely for traditional astrology's forecasting abilities, if they were as accurate as today's traditionalists claim.
Waybread

Let me reiterate what I wrote previously.

I think we're moving away from the point now with regards whether or not a degree is needed to identify a science.

I appreciate people are passionate about differences in approach between what we can loosely distinguish as 'traditional' and 'modern' but I really want to discourage getting into debates about the differences between them or suggestions of superiority for one or the other. Not only is that not the subject of this title, but it seldom produces much of value that isn't subtracted by conflicts which can also arise.

I appreciate nobody is deliberately taking the conversation that way of course.

Let's not accidentally turn this into a polemic against traditional astrology nor even a critique of it. That is not what this subject is about and astrology has suffered enough with "in house" fighting and bickering on this topic in my opinion.

I agree with you when you say:
the right techniques really aren't what produces a gifted horoscope interpretation
I think we've moved way off topic here though.

Paul, as moderator you might want to move the recent parts of this discussion over to the "Art or Science" thread, from which this one split off and where much of this discussion actually belongs.

i don't really care if it all stays here as it is obviously being followed by those interested and it is a big conversation! up to the moderators i suppose. i know mark likes to have the content reflected in the title which is hard to do sometimes!