Zoidsoft wrote:
Gary Kasparov (the chess player with a 190 IQ) has been a supporter of Fomenko.
As an amateur chess enthusiast I deeply admire Kasparov as one of the most gifted players in the history of chess. I also think his post chess career as a political activist against the electoral dictatorship of Putin is praise worthy. However, chess + politics aside he is no scholar. People with high IQs can have the craziest beliefs. That other chess genius Bobby Fischer comes to mind....

Mark
Last edited by Mark on Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

All of this is news to me particularly the part about our history being only 700 years old. Hand didn't mention that. His information was much more reasonable and plausible, that our dating is off a bit. That may or may not be true, but it certainly isn't impossible or off the deep end. A Biblical Scholar made the same claim a while back and said if we shifted out dates a little bit, Biblical stories would line up with known historical events a lot better.

I'm not advocating anything, I'm just bringing up something I think is interesting.

Those Jesuits were powerful enemies to have!
Just ask Galileo.

Mark wrote:Zoidsoft wrote:
Gary Kasparov (the chess player with a 190 IQ) has been a supporter of Fomenko.
As an amateur chess enthusiast I deeply admire Kasparov as one of the most gifted players in the history of chess. I also think his post chess career as a political activist against the electoral dictatorship of Putin is praise worthy. However, chess + politics aside he is no scholar. People with high IQs can have the craziest beliefs. That other chess genius Bobby Fischer comes to mind....

Mark
To be more precise, Kasparov didn't support the new chronology interpretation of Fomenko, but since you mention Fischer, it's the ones capable of entertaining crazy thoughts without losing their minds who make the breakthroughs. Those who play it safe in academia tend to have dull careers.
Curtis Manwaring
Zoidiasoft Technologies, LLC

Wait a minute, Fisher's crazy thoughts had nothing to do with chess. His chess thinking was lucid. It was all the other stuff that ruined him. I agree though, high IQ indicates potential only. It's what you do with it that matters.

Tom wrote:
Wait a minute, Fisher's crazy thoughts had nothing to do with chess. His chess thinking was lucid. It was all the other stuff that ruined him. I agree though, high IQ indicates potential only. It's what you do with it that matters.
Oh absolutely. I'm not suggesting chess players are more subject to mental disorder than the average population. Although in Fischer's case he seemed to have an autistic like obsession exclusively for the game that was evident in childhood. His Mother was concerned enough to take him to a child psychologist. However, she was assured chess was a harmless pursuit and he would grow out it .....

As nothing but an average club level patzer myself this is how I console myself for not being a stronger player. :lol:

The pre-war chess Master Rueben Fine (who later gave up professional chess for a career as a University professor in psychology and a psychoanalyst) wrote an interesting book entitled The Psychology of the Chess Player , The book discusses the mental idiosyncracies of many famous Masters and Grandmasters of the past. If you can put up with some of the cod Freudian mumbo jumbo its a fascinating read.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Psychology- ... 4871878155

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

Tom wrote:Wait a minute, Fisher's crazy thoughts had nothing to do with chess. His chess thinking was lucid. It was all the other stuff that ruined him. I agree though, high IQ indicates potential only. It's what you do with it that matters.
Yes, the original tin foil hat I believe. Did that because he thought the Russians were able to read his thoughts through his Mercury fillings or something like that...
Curtis Manwaring

Mark wrote:
As nothing but an average club level patzer myself this is how I console myself for not being a stronger player. :lol:

Mark
Back in the late 80's I used to go to a bar called "Hungry Charlie's" and there used to be about a dozen chess players there. I met Michael Niemczyk there and played about 400 games against him (he was rated at around 2300 for most of that period). I only won once and drew him about a dozen times. Though I was never rated, he said that for a novice I was quite good (toward the end because when I first started I was awful). I asked him what my best rating would have been and he said that he thought that I played at about 1900 level at the end (when that bar closed down in 1992). I have not played regularly since then.
Curtis Manwaring

Yes, the original tin foil hat I believe. Did that because he thought the Russians were able to read his thoughts through his Mercury fillings or something like that...
Check out the history of the Spassky match. He drove the Russians crazy. They said Fischer was emitting rays from his chair, which was specially made and flown in for the championship, that disrupted Spassky's thoughts. The looked in the light bulbs and every other place they could think of, for rays, drugs what have you. They could not deal with the fact that this high school dropout from Brooklyn was kicking their ass. Yes "their." Chess is an individual sport when the opponents are over the board. When they recess it becomes a team sport, except for Fischer who wouldn't allow anyone else to analyze his games