Transmission of Tajika to India

After a two month delay, I have finally received D.P. Saxena's translation of Tajik Neelkanthi. The introductory pages are obviously a mix of Perso-Arabic and Indian concepts. For example:

"Aries: It is a male, cardinal and fiery sign. It is a quadruped having sturdy body. Its color is blood red and temper is hot. It makes loud noises and is cruel in nature...It is strong by day. As regards the humor the sign rules over bile."

So I am wondering about the approximate date that Tijika was transmitted to India, since the Tajika texts contain the only mention of elements associated with zodiac signs. Apparently this is also true of the mention of bodily humors in relation to signs. (Question for Martin)

Thank you,
Therese
http://www.snowcrest.net/sunrise/LostZodiac.htm

Re: Transmission of Tajika to India

We can't be sure exactly when Perso-Arabic astrology was first transmitted to India. The oldest preserved Sanskrit texts on Tajika appear to date from the 13th century, which gives us a terminus ante quem. One of the most important Arabic-language sources used by the Indians seems to be Sahl bin Bishr, who wrote in the former half of the 9th century, so that gives us a terminus post quem. In other words, we can say that the (main) transmission probably took place some time between the late 9th and late 13th century, but that's still a pretty large window.
https://astrology.martingansten.com/

Re: Transmission of Tajika to India

Martin Gansten wrote:We can't be sure exactly when Perso-Arabic astrology was first transmitted to India. The oldest preserved Sanskrit texts on Tajika appear to date from the 13th century, which gives us a terminus ante quem. One of the most important Arabic-language sources used by the Indians seems to be Sahl bin Bishr, who wrote in the former half of the 9th century, so that gives us a terminus post quem. In other words, we can say that the (main) transmission probably took place some time between the late 9th and late 13th century, but that's still a pretty large window.
Still, it's helpful to know that the earliest probable date is much later than the introduction to India of so many other astrological principles. This is why I was curious about the Tajika date. My main interest is that the element-sign link was introduced only in the Tajika system, but was not carried through into other classical writings. Likewise that link is not found in earlier writings.

Yes, this is one thing that suggests a relatively early introduction of Hellenistic astrology into India -- the element/sign system is missing.

Varaha Mihira (Brhajjataka, c. 550 CE) recognizes the triplicities but classifies them by caste: What we would call water signs are described as Brahmins, fire signs are Kshatriyas, air signs are Vaisyas and earth signs are Shudras. The concept of triplicity rulers as found in Dorotheus etc. seems never to have been transmitted to India, therefore they were never used for delineating epochs of life as in Dorotheus and Valens, et. al.

The BPHS does classify signs according to the four elements, but this is almost certainly a much later interpolation, as the published versions of the text bear only a marginal resemblance to Pingree's collation of chapters in the earliest mss. Such attributions would have been completely
anomalous in 800 CE, during which time Kalyana Varman's Saravali is still using the caste oriented correspondences.

I am not clear as to how quickly the sign = element equation traveled outside of the Tajika community. The Phaladipika of Mantresvara, c. 1500, still uses the traditional attribution to castes rather than elements. It may be significant that Mantresvara was writing from Tamil Nadu, deep in the south where Islamic influence had not yet deeply penetrated.

Thanks for this information, Ken. I find it very interesting that the element-sign correlation somehow slipped through India's astrology, at least until a later date.

Due to an ordering snafu, I happen to have an extra copy of D.P. Saxena's Tajik Neelkanthi if you or anyone else who lives in the United States would like to have the book. It would be a miracle if a book arrived from India without damage, and this book has partly bent corners. It's a new book, however. I also have an extra copy of Varaha Mihira's Daivajna-Vallabha (Horary Astrology) if anyone is interested in that book. (Anyone interested can PM me.) The latter book has been sold through astroamerica.com, but it was difficult to find a source for Saxena's book.