martin,
this is a topic i am especially interested in and i haven't come across any reference in what i have read on this - i have read a lot of the hellenist books, but not all. i hope someone can give us an example as i would be especially curious to read about an older reference as well.

The only answer I can find is James Wilson in his dictionary. Saturn is stationary 5 days, Jupiter 5 days, Mars 2 or 3 days, Venus 2 days and Mercury 1. But this was published in 1819 and he gives no medieval source.

Matthew

Re: How long is a station?

Martin Gansten wrote:I'd be grateful for any references to ancient/medieval texts on how long a planet turning retrograde or direct is considered stationary (e.g., for one or more days, or as long as it is within the same degree, etc).
Not really medieval, but anyway -
William Lilly, in his Christian Astrology states:

p. 58 - Saturn
He is five dayes in his first station before Retrogradation,
and so many in his second station before Direction.

p. 62 - Jupiter
He is Retrograde about 120 dayes, is five dayes in his first
statio before retrogradation, and four dayes stationary before
Direction.

p. 65 - Mars
He is stationary before direction two dayes; after, but one day

p. 73 - Venus
she is two dayes stationary before retrogradation, and so many
before direction, and doth usually continue retrograde 42
dayes.

p. 76 - Mercury
he is Stationary one day,
and retrograde 24. dayes.

What do planets in stations mean? I've tried looking for information that gives detailed descriptions but find it lacking other than blanket statements saying that the planet holds a lot of power. But my question is, power to do what?

I have Libra Saturn in stationary direct. It went officially direct about 3 days after I was born. I've not ever gotten a "negative" interpretation of my Saturn, but it's been rather vague due to the stationary direction technicality. I'd like to know more...
0? Libra Jupiter conjunct 3? Libra Saturn
both conjunct 3? Libra AC

Great question. I have wondered how long a planet is stationary many times, and never found an answer, either from anybody else or my own experience.

For a medium speed planet in the region of Mars or Jupiter, to give it a whole degree either side of the station would mean two months of leeway.