a few questions about solar returns

1.I know that separating aspects in the solar return chart indicate past events, but do they also indicate lingering influence for the upcoming year? Or should I pretty much ignore all separating aspects in the solar return?

2.Should future aspects that the moon makes be considered in the solar return chart? I mean like similar to how lunar aspects are considered in horary astrology, where you have to consider future moon aspects made while the moon will be progressing through the current sign. IE, in my upcoming solar return chart I have moon at 15 degrees taurus and mars at 29 degrees cancer, ive already checked the ephemeris and the moon will make a sextile to mars before mars leaves cancer, but obviously the moon is out of orb with mars in the solar return chart, but since the aspect will perfect (eventually), should I consider it in my delineation of the solar return chart? Does it symbolize a future event that will happen?

3.Do you all utilize POF and the north node in solar return chart delineations? Does it provide any useful information or insight?

4. Somewhat similar to my first question, what to do regarding aspects to angles and their orbs? IE. if in the SR chart I have ASC at 4 virgo conjunct mars at 2 virgo, would I consider this a separating aspect (ergo a past event) or does that type of reasoning only apply to aspects involving planet to planet contact?

Hello AstroNovice,

You're likely to get many (varied) opinions on these questions!

My opinion, borne of my experience and reasoning is as follows:

Re: "1.I know that separating aspects in the solar return chart indicate past events, but do they also indicate lingering influence for the upcoming year? Or should I pretty much ignore all separating aspects in the solar return?"

As time moves in both directions, even if (say) the Solar Return shows the Moon at 12? Scorpio and Saturn at 6? Scorpio; the Moon will still regress by Secondary Progression to conjoin Saturn in about 6 months time.

Re: "2.Should future aspects that the moon makes be considered in the solar return chart? I mean like similar to how lunar aspects are considered in horary astrology, where you have to consider future moon aspects made while the moon will be progressing through the current sign. IE, in my upcoming solar return chart I have moon at 15 degrees taurus and mars at 29 degrees cancer, ive already checked the ephemeris and the moon will make a sextile to mars before mars leaves cancer, but obviously the moon is out of orb with mars in the solar return chart, but since the aspect will perfect (eventually), should I consider it in my delineation of the solar return chart? Does it symbolize a future event that will happen?

I wouldn't consider Transiting aspects that the Moon could make, except in terms of Secondary Progression. ie. if the Moon (or other planets) can Transit in a day to perfect an aspect (ie. the year's PROGRESSION), then those themes should be reflected in an event at approximately that time.

Re: "3.Do you all utilize POF and the north node in solar return chart delineations? Does it provide any useful information or insight?"

The POF I haven't really used in Solar Returns (other than as aspects in Progressed Sidereal Solar Returns). The Node most certainly is useful in Solar Returns and tends to reflect meetings and associations and especially issues with family members and relationships of a nurturing quality.

Re: "4. Somewhat similar to my first question, what to do regarding aspects to angles and their orbs? IE. if in the SR chart I have ASC at 4 virgo conjunct mars at 2 virgo, would I consider this a separating aspect (ergo a past event) or does that type of reasoning only apply to aspects involving planet to planet contact?"

As per your example, the Asc will still meet up with Mars after 2? of reverse quotidian motion.

You appear to be talking about non-precessed Solar Returns. Don't forget that the precessed versions put the major players (planet-wise) at the Angles. Look at very tight aspect from those planets to judge events...

Take care

James

fwiw - there are a lot of things about these comments that i don't agree with, especially point 3. some of this commentary is a 'modern' take emphasizing a plentiful number of aspects over angularity for example.

i recommend you skip trying to find short cuts to learning about solar returns thru free data on the net.. pick up a few good books instead and spend as much time as possible researching your own or other charts where their is a lot of available info on the person.. jb morin has a good book on solar returns - book 23.. the one i am reading right now - persian nativities 3 - on solar revolutions is also quite good and puts a solar return in the broader context of reading the chart by having a framework that includes the natal and profection chart.. it might not be your cup of tea, but the fact is it is a much more thorough approach to reading a chart then ignoring the natal which is just one of the many problems i have with the data on this link you provided..

bottom of page 1 from your link.

"INTERPRETATION

1. The rising sign and the house cusp it represents in the natal chart are the prime focus for the year. If the sign is intercepted in the natal chart, it will be a very frustrating and difficult year. Any planets in the first house also strongly influencethe emotional tenor, but the signs on all four angles are always important. The SolarReturn Ascendant and its ruler show the general approach to life, and the attitude,health and fortunes for the year ahead.

2. The house that the Sun is in points at a major issue for the year, and shows wherea great deal of energy is being applied. It shows the basic life pattern for the year,and if there are many aspects to the Sun, it will be a very active year. Fewer aspects indicate less activity and a more tranquil year. The house in which the Sun falls inthe SR chart is the birthday month's forecast and influence, and each house after isthe following month, since the Sun transits at the rate of one sign or house permonth. Each house is treated as events in that month, and the sign and planet rulingthe cusp influences the outlook for that month. The chart is used like a clock, with12 months on its face instead of 12 hours. As the Sun conjoins or aspects otherplanets in the SR, it will generate events.

3. The Solar Return is a horary chart, and can be interpreted without reference tothe natal chart. Special attention must be paid to the aspects of the transiting Moon,since its last aspect before it changes signs determines the final outcome of all issues.a. If the Moon is void of course not much will change unless there are overwhelmingindications for change by house and aspect."

Hello james_m,

You mentioned Morin and then in a reference about Solar Returns, said that the Solar Return can be read without reference to the Natal.

If I remember correctly, Morin BLASTED Cardan (in print) for doing exactly that.

The Natal chart allows us to predict.

The dynamic charts allow us to forecast.

James

james_m wrote:fwiw - there are a lot of things about these comments that i don't agree with, especially point 3. some of this commentary is a 'modern' take emphasizing a plentiful number of aspects over angularity for example.

i recommend you skip trying to find short cuts to learning about solar returns thru free data on the net.. pick up a few good books instead and spend as much time as possible researching your own or other charts where their is a lot of available info on the person.. jb morin has a good book on solar returns - book 23.. the one i am reading right now - persian nativities 3 - on solar revolutions is also quite good and puts a solar return in the broader context of reading the chart by having a framework that includes the natal and profection chart.. it might not be your cup of tea, but the fact is it is a much more thorough approach to reading a chart then ignoring the natal which is just one of the many problems i have with the data on this link you provided..

bottom of page 1 from your link.

"INTERPRETATION

1. The rising sign and the house cusp it represents in the natal chart are the prime focus for the year. If the sign is intercepted in the natal chart, it will be a very frustrating and difficult year. Any planets in the first house also strongly influencethe emotional tenor, but the signs on all four angles are always important. The SolarReturn Ascendant and its ruler show the general approach to life, and the attitude,health and fortunes for the year ahead.

2. The house that the Sun is in points at a major issue for the year, and shows wherea great deal of energy is being applied. It shows the basic life pattern for the year,and if there are many aspects to the Sun, it will be a very active year. Fewer aspects indicate less activity and a more tranquil year. The house in which the Sun falls inthe SR chart is the birthday month's forecast and influence, and each house after isthe following month, since the Sun transits at the rate of one sign or house permonth. Each house is treated as events in that month, and the sign and planet rulingthe cusp influences the outlook for that month. The chart is used like a clock, with12 months on its face instead of 12 hours. As the Sun conjoins or aspects otherplanets in the SR, it will generate events.

3. The Solar Return is a horary chart, and can be interpreted without reference tothe natal chart. Special attention must be paid to the aspects of the transiting Moon,since its last aspect before it changes signs determines the final outcome of all issues.a. If the Moon is void of course not much will change unless there are overwhelmingindications for change by house and aspect."
perhaps you may be right and I should go ahead and invest in a quality book about solar returns. One question though, are they hard to read? I have an extremely difficult time trying to decipher the meaning of texts written in old english. (as I imagine most people would)

hi astronovice,

jb morins books were translated by james holden who just passed away recently.. they are very easy to read, unlike say the 2004 edition from david roell of william lillys christian astrology which i would classify the way you put your concerns here.. ben dykes translation of persian nativities book 3 is a pleasure to read as well and very modern thanks to his ability to translate for a modern audience.. there are plentiful footnotes to go with it all too..

the hard part of all of this is knowing how to read the actual solar revolution or return chart!!

1.I know that separating aspects in the solar return chart indicate past events, but do they also indicate lingering influence for the upcoming year? Or should I pretty much ignore all separating aspects in the solar return?
can anyone shed some light on this? I've looked everywhere and cant seem to find any decent information on solar returns and separating aspects. I feel like surely separating aspects must have some sort of influence over the coming year, but the only source I found that even mentioned solar returns and separating aspects said to ignore separating aspects in the solar return chart and horary. According to people's here personal experiences, do you all consider separating aspects in the solar return chart as having any validity/influence?

Hello,

Secondary regression has proven to be as valid as progression, so even if the (transiting) planets are separating in the Solar Return, it still leaves the potential of the one planet regressing to the other, signifying an appropriate event, circumstance, or internal issue.

Take care

James

Admittedly, I'm not very familiar with secondary progression or regression of solar return charts. I am seeking more of an orthodox answer, the concept of progressing a solar return chart is a little bit too modern for my tastes haha.