Duodecamorion

Well I am reading Mathesis at the moment, and apparently in Firmicus' view, 'duodecamorions' of planets are significant in judging the influence of the planet. Ive learnt that this duodecamorion is somewhat like a copy of the planet, so even if the the actual planet is not in a certain house, if the duodecamorion of the planet is in the house, then the influence of the planet in that house is also considered.

However I am wondering if anybody actually uses this technique and if it is any good? what you do think?

I've not used it yet. I have the book myself, Bram's translation. I'll go through it thoroughly after I have completed Valens' work.

It's 'Duodecatemorion', by the way. In plural it's 'Duodecatemoria'. If I remember correctly, Maternus's method is the 12th Harmonic (where you multiply by 12), whereas Valens's method is the 13th Harmonic (where you multiply by 13.)

EDIT:

I was wrong. Maternus uses the 12th Harmonic, while Paulus Alexandrinus uses the 13th Harmonic, and Valens uses both for different purposes.

A quotation would be fine though!

Marcus Manilius, whose native language was Latin, at least he writes in classical Latin, refuses to translate the Greek term.
Astronomica, II, verses 694, 695:
"[...] et tantum Graio signari nomine passam,
dodecatemoria, [...]".

Is the question directed towards me or the OP?

My source is Bram's translation of Mathesis, titled Matheseos Libri VIII. Page 334, Glossary.

My guess is he misspelled it?

Larxene wrote:Is the question directed towards me or the OP?

My source is Bram's translation of Mathesis, titled Matheseos Libri VIII. Page 334, Glossary.

My question was to you and sulme and all interested in this matter.

Meanwhile, after reading your quotation and more of the text of Bram's translation (pp. 334, 330, 35), my guess is that you misread the spelling of Bram.
She clearly sticks to "DODECATEMORION, pl. DODECATEMORIA" (p. 330) in English as has done M. Manilius in his Latin Text (DODECATEMORIUM, pl. DODECATEMORIA). Always DO..., not DUO.

Perhaps EPurdue or someone else can give us "your" spelling in texts tranlated into Latin after the classical period of the Latin language, in the Middle Ages.

johannes susato wrote:Meanwhile, after reading your quotation and more of the text of Bram's translation (pp. 334, 330, 35), my guess is that you misread the spelling of Bram.
She clearly sticks to "DODECATEMORION, pl. DODECATEMORIA" (p. 330) in English as has done M. Manilius in his Latin Text (DODECATEMORIUM, pl. DODECATEMORIA). Always DO..., not DUO.
Perhaps you have a later edition of Bram? In mine, duodecatemorion/-a is found on pp. 42-43, 78, 82, 88, 94, 99, 103, 115, 137, 308 and 334; dodeca- nowhere. (I haven't the time to cross-check the Latin text...)
https://astrology.martingansten.com/

Martin Gansten wrote:
johannes susato wrote:Meanwhile, after reading your quotation and more of the text of Bram's translation (pp. 334, 330, 35), my guess is that you misread the spelling of Bram.
Perhaps you have a later edition of Bram? In mine, duodecatemorion/-a is found on pp. 42-43, 78, 82, 88, 94, 99, 103, 115, 137, 308 and 334; dodeca- nowhere. (I haven't the time to cross-check the Latin text...)
To begin with the Latin text, Teubner, Leipzig, 1897, ediderunt Kroll u. Skutsch (and only this example): Book II, Chap. XIII:
"DE DUODECATEMORIIS".

My English translation by Bram is published by Ascella, in 1995, and is edited by David McCann, who
"has checked Bram's text against the Teubner edition of the Mathesis which she used as her source. Any inaccuracies have been corrected, (...)"

Thus we can see the problems with corrections . . .
Thanks to all for clarification!

Hopefully my Manilius text of "Astronomica" in Latin with "DODECATEMORIUM" is correct!

Okay, sorry for the chaos, I clearly mispelt it.

it says on <duodecatemoria> on my Methesis, which is translated by Jean Rhys Bram.

I dont know where I came up with such a spelling though :lala
By the way, im a 'she' if you didnt know :o

I never knew about it until recently, and I am only a beginner so I cannot really say anything about it myself - however, according to this professional traditional astrologer, Duodecatemoria almost works like antiscian, but the only consideration to be made when using it is the house where it lies on. so you dont consider the essential/accidental dignities, but only the house.