Do they have enough screen area to display lots of data? The phones I've seen are much too limited to contain all the data that Delphic Oracle produces making it impossible to navigate the many screens required to display all the data. The font would be so small that it would become unreadable without ditching a large portion of what is visible on a typical PC screen. I would've converted my software to this format a while ago were it not for these kinds of limitations. It is difficult to do good research on them, but they seem to make good use of lightweight apps and I might someday convert my Timaeus planetary hour program which is similar to a lightweight app when you ditch all the research windows. Maybe Kindle or similar tablet devices can handle something with more data and graphics range.
Curtis Manwaring
Zoidiasoft Technologies, LLC

zoidsoft wrote:Do they have enough screen area to display lots of data? The phones I've seen are much too limited to contain all the data that Delphic Oracle produces making it impossible to navigate the many screens required to display all the data. The font would be so small that it would become unreadable without ditching a large portion of what is visible on a typical PC screen. I would've converted my software to this format a while ago were it not for these kinds of limitations. It is difficult to do good research on them, but they seem to make good use of lightweight apps and I might someday convert my Timaeus planetary hour program which is similar to a lightweight app when you ditch all the research windows. Maybe Kindle or similar tablet devices can handle something with more data and graphics range.
It is unlikely that app users would pay more than $9.99 for any software.
So, start from that point and what you are prepared to put in the software for that price.
You can use, Tabs,dropdown menus and export data to word processor for the data heavy outputs.

PD

Screen layout for mobile telephones

Good evening,

For astrology software developers who consider making more serious astrology programmes available on smart phones, tablets, phablets, etc., it might be worthwhile to buy ex. gr. Tropical Skies (USD 4.95) and see how it works. One cannot use the same screen layout as for PCs. For example, newspapers' often have separate smart phone on line editions.

Gartners have recently published a lengthy report indicating that unit sales of smart phones, phablets and tablets will soon exceed those of PCs. PCs are like dinosaurs facing extinction. Since my PC recently died, i have decided to replace it with a tablet. Gartners also wrote that Android and Apple operating systems will soon relegate MS to a minority role.

So software developers might do well to harken to these developments and capture a nice slice of the winning markets.

Best regards,

lihin
Non esse nihil non est.

Re: Screen layout for mobile telephones

lihin wrote:Gartners have recently published a lengthy report indicating that unit sales of smart phones, phablets and tablets will soon exceed those of PCs. PCs are like dinosaurs facing extinction.
PC's are still far far away from extinction.. You still can't do in a tablet all kind of work (like developing applications) that you can do on a PC.. :)

Regards,
Jo?o Ventura

Certainly a tablet device would contain enough real estate to have a credible astrology program running on it.

It is a tricky thing to offer the iOS resolutions due to their retina display, which is essentially double the amount of pixels. As a way of thinking about it, imagine a 100 x 100 pixel square image - this would be reduced to a 'visible' 50 x 50, because retina is double the pixel count.

However they are still large enough that you could have an app on them. I am hoping to play with this idea next year and perhaps create a very very simplistic app myself.

I think many mobile devices are probably too small, at least without having complicated menu structures. The other problem is that android devices are not uniform - they could be any screen resolution, contrasted against iOS devices which are uniform in their resolution and the number of devices is limited (iPhone 5 offering a longer screen for example).

It's also worth pointing out that more iOS users pay for their apps than android users. As a result, it can often be more profitable to initially target iOS users and use this to fund android app development. This is a typical scenario amongst app developers, though I suspect this may change in time as devices like the samsung S2/3/4 continue to gain market dominance and their users resemble more like the iOS demographic.

No that's not how pixel counts work. A higher pixel count means the image is higher quality.

It's like if you make a sculpture out of .5 inch Lego blocks, it will look different than if you used blocks half that size. The sculpture is the same size.

Apple's site has some side by side examples showing this.