I do not think one possibility excludes the other, after all, astrological knowledge stacks up most of the time.

Mercury in Aquarius is a very well positioned Mercury, and so is Mercury in Gemini and Virgo. A good Mercury will give ability to Mercurial things being done...

I do not know about Sagitarius, but I've seen good mathematicians with Mercury in Sagitarius, still, I'd look at the dispositor.
Paulo Felipe Noronha

mercury in aquarius talent w/languages

Buenos Dias!

I think there might be something to that as languages have come shockingly easy to me my whole life and my mercury is in aquarius 14deg in the 3rd house. Mercury is sext Venus and Jupiter, square Neptune and Asc and opp Mc. I am half Nicaraguensa and am fluent in Spanish but didnt learn as a small child; I learned as a 12 1/2 yr old. I know a little Farsi, Hebrew, French, and 'I love you' in Russian!

Amando mucho el astrologia! Buena suerte a todos .....
Serafin5
(February 19, 1964 11:30pm PST Los Angeles, CA)

Evil thrives where good men do nothing.

If I may be allowed to talk about myself: :???:

It's hard to believe in the stereotypes commonly assigned to Mercury and its sign placements. I have Mercury combust in Cancer. That doesn't sound particularly promising, but at one point all my university classes involved learning or speaking only in French, Spanish, German and Russian. The year before that I 'mastered' Italian and could easily chatter away in it. I was always among the top students in the class, often the top student. Then I walked away from it all. I got thoroughly sick of the incessant need for plain old memorization. Everything in the world has a name, a word. Cramming the mind with such stuff leads to overload - and frustration when the word hides from you.

I think Mercury's sign placement is less important than is commonly thought. Planetary contacts are highly important. I do think that my tight Moon-Mercury-Mars configuration shows my verbal abilities. Maybe my combust Mercury shows the burn-out? I had never thought of that before. So there was a good reason to talk about myself after all --- new insight into Mercury combust. (Of course, there's always the thrill of the stage.)

You never know where these posts will take you.

Mercury in Cancer is seen as a strong, albeit not necessarily comfortable or easy, Mercury by the Psychological School. ''Holds information that keeps the person safe''

Good memory, Proust for example - 'Time lost and time regained'.

Also Combust, and look what he produced.

Nixx wrote:Mercury in Cancer is seen as a strong, albeit not necessarily comfortable or easy, Mercury by the Psychological School. ''Holds information that keeps the person safe''

''Holds information that keeps the person safe''. . . :? I don't understand that. As I see it, being a cardinal sign Cancer gives Mercury an edge and fidgety feet. That pretty much contradicts the quote. I'll have to think about it. Maybe I've been missing something. BUT - maybe I'm speaking from my personal experience. The Moon-Mercury-Mars configuration again. That would make for a very active and fidgety Mercury. I hadn't realized how mentally twitchy I am.

I've probably been eating the wrong kind of cookies. Chocolate chip doesn't seem to work.

Kirk wrote:
Nixx wrote:
''Holds information that keeps the person safe''. . . :? I don't understand that. As I see it, being a cardinal sign Cancer gives Mercury an edge and fidgety feet.

Money for example. Usually provides food, water, clothing, shelter, etc and it is useful to know how much money you have in the bank at times, for which you need a functioning memory. (Unless you have your balance on the computer screen 24/7).

Where the cardinal comes in is getting of your arse and actively seeking this information in the first place and then ensuring it stays there through exposure or practice. (The Psychological idea abpout Cardinal Mercury's is if you don't use the information you forget it)

Something like this, albiet brief and simplistic.

It depends on the chart how the dynamics play out. If the Sun is in Cancer then it may be more appreciative as 'safety' is a big drive anyway, if in Gemini then it may be a blessing as Gemini pays less attention to the Mundane sphere, in Leo could be usefull when you go out on a bender and need some cash, etc.

Not sure about your 'twitchy mind', would need to see the chart but even then nothing coherent may appear in my own mirror neurons or sensorimotor representations, (thoughts apear to wander about and can be hard to locate in the cortex). Mars will presumably keep it on edge and keep the grey matter ticking over.

Cancer Moon is a curio, in my experience people seem to be constantly worrying about their needs being met. One of those rulerships that is not necessarily a plus.

BTW thanks for your review of the Campion book, most impressive.

Interesting views Nixx and,despite my limited knowledge, I find them very reasonable. My son in law grew up speaking French at home and school, but in the midst of officially English speaking Manhatten. At L'Ecole, he learned Italian and Spanish. As an adult, after college, he taught himself a working knowlege of Japanese and Korean although his interest has lapsed somewhat. Here's the interesting thing: he was the family underachiever only earning a degree in sociology. When he found himself with a family, he sat down and taught himself the language of computers, and now helps to operate computers systems which regulate emissions for the Queens NY power plant. Now, I don't recall the exact position or sign of his Mercury but I do recall he has a terrific grand trine in air.

This is an astrology forum so none of us ''know'' anything we just have a range of, at times, odd ideas.

In this schema Air, as long as it is the personal planets, is very useful if the Mercury is weak. Assuming the person wants their thinking and language to be clearer or more rational that is. This is usually seen as a plus nowadays. For skills with other, and your own, languages we would look initially at the 3rd house, partly because this corresponds to the stage of life when the child starts to talk and think with words. My brother has the Sun and the Wife the Moon in the 3rd and both have sophisticated interests in language and remarkable abilities to learn others. I'm hopeless, and mine is empty.

Thanks for the tickle over ''only a degree in Sociology'', isn't this more useful and valuable than a few doctorates in other subjects. You know the joke about the Indian Mother not realising her son getting a PhD in medicine meant she had given birth to a psychopath .?

You are most kind and funny, too. My 3rd contains Jupiter in Scorpio and Chiron which I know most posters here don't deal with. I'm an obsessive researcher, picked up languages very easily (even with a combust, retro Mercury in Cancer), but have suffered all my life from the Chironic "wound" of not ever being heard clearly by my nearest and dearest, so to speak. As an employer, I must struggle to make my directions understood, even when written out clearly and explained verbally. There is clearly some kind of problem with lack of reception here. Of course, some will say it is a problem with expression from the 3rd house, and I won't bother with the argument. I know I am well educated and determined enough to communicate simple directions, especially in writing. There is a definite, repetitive block from this house. Jupiter is squared from the 12th in Leo, by both Saturn and Pluto. My PUBLIC speaking, however, is usually well understood. Weird. I have a permanently dislocated right shoulder and eye problems, so I apologize for any typos etc. in my post. Best wishes.

Yes my Horoscope says should be very kind, quick witted and verging on the illiterate. I'm resolved to the fact the Nobel Prize for Literature is destined elsewhere.

Some of the old fellows regard combust and retro as unfortunate from memory. In the Psychological schema combust symbolises a closer relationship between the way you think and communicate (Mercury) and the core identity or purpose (Sun). So if the Sun is a part of you which you struggle to accept or express then it may be a more familiar cognitive tool kit may be more problematic. Another possible disadvanatge is the more similarity there is on the chart the more your capacity to empathise with those with other dynamics is limited.

Retrograde is delineated as the introversion of the energy of the planet, in itself neither a plus or a minus. Less ideal for Mars as it's job is to go after what the Sun requires, it needs to be more proactive than reactive.

Chiron in the 3rd more literally could suggest a lack of support from siblings. Not sure about work colleagues but I suppose those you see everyday - short jourenys - could come into it/ Not much you can do about Chiron. I like to think it's purpose is to remind us life is a nasty, unpleasant, futile business and death is a merciful release. :D

More seriously an internet forum is not the place to discuss people's lives in depth. These blocks or patterns tend to be about childhood experiences so we would need to explore the early years. Mercury in Cancer is not that assertive. How about taking a megaphone to work ?

Nixx wrote:
. . .

BTW thanks for your review of the Campion book, most impressive.
Wrong Kirk - But it was nice of you to publicly compliment the reviewer. I doubt whether I could remember well enough what I read to write a book review.