William F. Lilly's Natal Horoscope

Dear Forum,

Using Astro.com I can't get the exact co-ordinates as the shire or district is Not noted only Lilly's town as in England; so other than the Angles the house cusps are off somewhat from CA II on the ebook copy online.

If one doesn't change the data or enlarge the chart it tends to stay there providing no one calculates a chart off of the webb page below of Lilly's horoscope:

http://www.astro.com/cgi/chart.cgi?cid= ... r=1&nho2=1

I have met a few horary artists whom are of the firm conviction that Outers should Not be used in Transits, Progressions & Directions, or Natal astrology despite other astrologers pointing out the obvious effects of Outers in Transits to their natal horoscope. As far as horary I try to stay Traditional, but I'm Not going to be an ostrich with my head hid in the sand in other areas of astrology and I hope the Ultra-Trads won't ostrasize us for walking on limbs or frozen lakes iced over.

But I've wondered for some time Why Lilly was such a genius in astrology and what in his horoscope gave strong indications that he would be the utmost horary icon West of Constaninople to this day.

Having began my early astrology studies under the Rosicrucian Fellowship out of Oceanside, California, under the writtings of the course by Max Heindel whom wrote from I'm sure Flossy Mae's(Max's wife) influence as I understand from AFA Flossy was the actual astrologer. Max points out that conjunctions are given to natives as earned genius from previous incarnations.

Well I was kind of right as Lilly has Mercury Rx separating from Uranus by 5 degress and 46 minutes. Now many Modernes except this orb and justify it by the Moeity charts that Lilly utilized from Al Burini. Mercury is lord of Lilly's 3rd and 7th, which I understand as Lilly's astrological genius and ability to write his three volumes of CA and more, as well as his high acute intuition which was demostrated throughout his life.

And of course Anthrodite combusted by Sol shows both his delayed marriage and his eventual success with that over-cooked Venus of his finances and accumalation of propertys.

Does anyone have counter points or disagreements with the interpretations of the cjt.s or other inputs to Lilly's horoscope?

Clinton Garrett Soule

Wise men truly know how little they know

http://www.newsreview.com/reno/star-rea ... ?oid=22904
Last edited by Clinton Soule on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hi Clinton,

Good observation.

Do you put some weightage to Grand Trines in earth signs which are present in Lily chart?

And of course Anthrodite combusted by Sol shows both his delayed marriage and his eventual success with that over-cooked Venus of his finances and accumalation of propertys.
HIs first marriage was to a rich widow when he was most probably in 20s.
Regards

Morpheus

https://horusastropalmist.wordpress.com/

As we know his marriage house is ruled by Mercury, being Virgo. But Syed, I haven't studied much about his marriages, how did that go? Was it trying for Lilly and difficult for her as well?

Syed Tarig Javed said:
HIs first marriage was to a rich widow when he was most probably in 20s.
Would love to hear about Lilly's marriages and personal life as Venus combust should have fulfilled a dificult time in romance and marriages regardless of his lord of his 7th's aspects and placement.

Clinton Garrett Soule

Wise men know how little they know

Hello Clinton,

Lilly married his mistress after his master's death (May 22, 1627) "upon the eighth day of September, 1627, at St. George's church in Southwark", and says of his matrimony: "during all the time of her live, which was until October, 1633, we lived very lovingly".

Johannes

an interesting feature of lillys mercury which may get overlooked by some is the fact it is essentially stationary about to go direct.. most astrologers seem to operate in a narrow window of what is retro or direct with no real astro definitions for what defines stationary.. using a window of a few days - lilly's chart has a stationary mercury about to go direct.. his chart goes with my theory that any stationary planet becomes very highlighted..

james_m said:
an interesting feature of lillys mercury which may get overlooked by some is the fact it is essentially stationary about to go direct.. most astrologers seem to operate in a narrow window of what is retro or direct with no real astro definitions for what defines stationary.. using a window of a few days - lilly's chart has a stationary mercury about to go direct.. his chart goes with my theory that any stationary planet becomes very highlighted..
In my documented records of 'electional astrology' I have worked with, I have found any comunication, or documents presented under the Rx Mercury stays there, like it becomes 'set in stone'. Now my fellow artists must forgive my recollection as I do not have any documentation from an authority on this, yet I am aware it has been written about, so the Forum will have to forgive my slight of 'academic dishonesty' as like so many writters of astrology in the past I'm not citing my source on this.

I think this goes in stride with Lilly's monumental Taurean attributes as his teachings are accepted by most as if they were an 'iron foundation' and why as I understand after the 'fire of London in 1666' and confrontation with Parliament where Parliament said "If Lilly says it therefore it is so.."

Clinton Garrett Soule

Hi Clinton Soule,
In my documented records of 'electional astrology' I have worked with, I have found any comunication, or documents presented under the Rx Mercury stays there, like it becomes 'set in stone'.
Do you mean to say that whatever a person writes having Rx Mercury about to go direct, lives for ever and gets credit....

Lilly had period of fame in his life. Then he went into obscurity and has recently been revived. His following is immense. Can we say periods of extreme recognition followed by periods of complete obscurity. [/quote]
Regards

Morpheus

https://horusastropalmist.wordpress.com/

i like that.. it reminds me of a saying from the tao teh ching..

maybe you know it too?

'the farther you go, the less you know'.

maybe they are different astrologers interpretations of the same thing? LOL

Problems with William Lilly's birth date and time

Good morning,

For easy reference here is some relevant data from another thread:
"Martin Harvey in Nativitas I quotes Lilly's letter to his friend and patron, Elias Ashmole, (May 1, 1602 OS). Lilly's correspondence indicates that the time may have been rectified by him; he is content with the time as he refers to directions of the map.

(NN No.617 quotes Gadbury for 2:00 AM, same from P.C. "Sibly Celestial Science of Astrology" has April 30, 1602 OS, 2:08 AM; same in Gadbury's Collection of Nativities, 1661. Wangemann had 3:00 AM)"
The German AstroWiki states more difficulties, ex. gr. Julian or Gregorian calendar, calculation of hour after midday or after midnight (difference of a calendar day, 1 May instead of 30 April), sun clock time or local mean time.:
"Lillys Geburtsdatum wird bei verschiedenen Quellen mit 30. April 1602, greg. 2:08 angegeben. Es handelt sich jedoch, vergleicht man seine eigenen Angaben, um ein julianisches Datum. Die Zeitangabe beruht auf den alten Ephemeriden, die auf Mittagsst?nden (Meridianst?nde) basierten. Eine Zeitangabe von 14:08 Post Meridian (P.M.) bedeutet also 14:08 Stunden nach Mittag, das ergibt 2:08 Uhr des Folgetages. Die Zeitdifferenz von drei Minuten zum rekonstruierten Horoskop beruht auf der Differenz von LAT (Sonnenuhrzeit) zu LMT (mittlerer Ortszeit). Dies deckt sich auch mit der bei Gadbury abgebildeten Horskopzeichnung (nebenstehend)."
Here is John Gadbury's chart of William Lilly referred to just above:
Best regards,

lihin
Non esse nihil non est.

Geoffrey,

Under the present Mercury Rx I'm a little hesitant on how to answer this. But from reading Gadbury's horary book it strongly appears Gadbury had Lilly's book laid out in front of him while he nearly copied Lilly's CA; with the exception of a few deviations like money earned from gambling as a 5th house matter or romances/affairs as 5th rather than the 7th.

As I understand they were rivals and he could be that Gadbury *may" be trying to throw a curve ball by giving this birth time!

But I did say *may be* because even if rivals and Lilly may refer to Gadbury like one of the Modernes Lilly addresses in CA, there is little doubt Gadbury respected his knowledge.

Clinton Garrett Soule

Wise men truly know how little they know