Kenneth Johnson wrote:I am not sure whether whole sign houses were ever used in Western astrology. Chris Brennan has argued that there isn't any genuine horary astrology in the Hellenistic repertoire, so your question can't be answered from that point of view.

There is a lengthy discussion in the introduction to Ben Dykes' translation of Sahl and Masha'allah as to the circumstances under which early Arabic astrologers used whole sign houses and when they used quadrant houses. I don't remember if he discusses Midheaven issues, but if you have access to that book, you might check there.

In prashna or Sanskrit horary astrology, the tenth whole-sign house always indicates career. The precise degree of the MC is never considered in a judgment. They understood the concept of the MC, and called it meshurana, which is based on the Greek, but in all the texts I have examined I have never seen them use the exact MC point as the indicator of career, only the Tenth House.
What about the chart judged by Palchus about the Slave girls Linen? He COULD of used whole signs.

equinox wrote: The mc has connotations of fame rather than Mastery. Notice that in Christian Astrology book 3, and in older Natal Texts, Fame seems somewhat seperate then the mastery, and that the term MC is specifically mentioned when that subject is looked to? Personally I think they are two seperate things. One can have a prominent job but still be obscure and quadrant houses do not show this distinction.

Hello Equinox,

as a side note: in fact, there are people who become famous without any "mastery" (and vice versa, as you wrote) and this can also be seen from the MC separated from the cusp of the 10th house, when using Whole Sign Houses ? in natal astrology.
But I join the others in being curious to know if and by whom WSH were used in Western horary astrology.

Iris