Indian Power Failure

speaking of mercury retro, i note it's position opposite natal sun in indias chart and rulership of the 3rd house which would cover some of transportation for the locals.. i can only imagine the mayhem that this is causing where ever there is a traffic light, as the congestion on the roads in india is bad enough without an electrical failure.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-19060279

chart i have for india is - 26 jan 1950 1015am new delhi. 4 aries 47 rising.

Thanks James,

This surely must be one the most dramatic Mercury Rx stories of all time! Many of us have possibly experienced a short power cut say on our road or local community. But 600 million people? Wow!

Here is the main chart used for India (1950) with the transits for the estimated local time of the first power cut yesterday.
As you point out Mercury Rx being Lord 3 and opposing the Sun of the 1950 chart is a strong reflector of this. That position also has Mercury squaring the Indian Moon. I am also struck that transiting Uranus is currently opposing the Indian Mars (Lord 1 & 8) Transiting Jupiter is trine radix Mars but both planets are in their sign of detriment. Transiting Moon is antiscion radix Pluto.

I am not really a fan of secondary progressions. I have always thought they were overrated. Personally, I find the the medieval/renaissance technique of profections more useful in reflecting actual events. I do accommodate a less traditional approach to them by using the outer planets. In this technique we have the symbolism of a planets moving through a sign each year. Hence profected planets as well as invisible points like nodes & lots travel approximately 2.5 degrees every month.

I have put up the Indian (1950) chart with the profections on the outer wheel. Appropriately India is experiencing a 3rd house profectional year ruled by Mercury (Gemini) in the radix chart.
Looking at the profectional chart compared to the radix we see profected Neptune is on the radix MC. Profectional Pluto is squaring the Indian Sun and opposing the Indian Moon. Mercury has profected to the ASC of the 1950 chart. Profectional IC and Uranus on the radix Saturn.

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

hi mark,

thanks for sharing! charts are always fun to look at. i am not a bg fan of sec progs so much as solar arc directions myself, but sticking with your profections i like the mercury station on the ascendant for the profections. mercury square neptune on the midheaven would seem to catch some of the flavour of this event too i suppose. i mostly think of uranus as having to do with electricity and bringing surprises on the electrical front.. i guess this is astro dogma, and maybe it isn't always born out..

for fun you might want to look at the eclipse data in around here as the nodal axis transits the 9/3 axis.. the total lunar eclipse for dec 10 2011 really highlights this house axis while squaring directly onto saturn in the 6th.

solar returns are always fun too.. i took a look at both the 2012 and 2013 sr's. 2012 highlights uranus via conjunction to descendant and square midheaven most closely, followed by a stationary retro mars 6 degrees off the ascendant both in last decan of virgo. actually the angles are on the last degree of mutable signs, essentially on the aries point - or earth nodal axis to the sun. i might not have worded that right, but that is why the aries point is such an interesting consideration when looking at charts in mundane or world type astrology..

astrologers are good at finding connections especially with all the tools to choose from in combo with lots of points in a chart.

the natal chart we are looking at for india has uranus as closest planet to the angles as well from the 4th house area.. it is interesting to think of how india is a technology leader in many ways with india churning out many talented and bright people in computer technology/science. uranus sits right on the part of fortune for this chart as well.

going back to that neptune/mercury square on the angles in the profection chart that you were pointing out - i was looking at the solar arc directions and that square is presently passing thru the sun/moon square via midpoint that is very close in the natal chart.. the sun/moon midpoint is at 20 pisces 41.. presently solar arc neptune/mercury square is at 20 sag06 - in the natal 9th, with sr mercury at 21 pisces 27 in the 12th.. the exact midpoint to these 2 sr planets would be 5 aq 36 or so about 4 minutes off the natal sun in aquarius - 11th house at 5 aq 40.. it is 6 minutes short of exact square to natal moon at 5 taurus 42 fun stuff, lol..

Hello James,

I find Solar arcs useful too. Both direct and converse.

However, there are a lots of predictive systems which really only describe an annual picture. This includes solar arcs as well as primary directions and solar returns.

That is why I think predictive techniques utilising a shorter time scale are very useful in refining things down. In particular profections, lunar returns, lunations, minor progressions, tertiary progressions, and nodal transits. I am sure all these techniques could be revealing.

For example in the prior lunation chart (New Moon) Mars was closely conjunct the radix Mars and South Node. With the radix Mars in detriment in Libra this is a clear point of weakness or vulnerability in the chart.

Of the three systems of 'progressions' I have found the most powerful to be not secondary or tertiary progressions but rather minor progressions. I dislike this term myself as it gives the impression this is an inferior or peripheral idea. I prefer to think of them as 'lunar progressions' as in this system one lunar month=1 year.
astrologers are good at finding connections especially with all the tools to choose from in combo with lots of points in a chart.
Yes, especially after the event! :D

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

hi mark,

i never get to talk to other astrologers about stuff like direct or converse movement on the planets using not just solar arc, but minor progressions too for that matter. really it means one has to have a fluid attitude towards time i suppose. time is an interesting topic for an astrologer in that we are always dealing in time, segments of time, parallels of one time frame to another which is what all these predictive techniques are doing.. we are trying to find a parallel in the moment with something that already happened. how it interacts with the moment we are living in is some sort of mystery that brings us back to the topic of time.

i like looking at minor progressions as they seem to connect well symbolically with events that i am looking at in the rear view mirror.. the minor progressions converse chart with mp sun on the 3rd house cusp and at the midpoint of that pronounced mercury/neptune square in the natal chart via 135 aspects is interesting in light of the havoc temporarily created with this power outage.

mostly for shorter time scales i like using transits. i think the older astrologers must have used transits, although they always take a back seat to some of the other techniques we hear of more regularly. maybe transits were viewed as very peripheral and temporary, but for me when they line up with data from solar arc directions for example, then i think they iopen a few tumblers in a lock of sorts.. take a look at converse solar arc sun at 2 sag, opp converse minor prog sun at 2 gemini that i was just mentioning at the mercury/neptune midpoint.. both these features of both the converse solar arc and converse minor prog chart line up perfectly with the transiting 'mean' nodal axis which is in turn exactly square neptune.. something about neptune and mercury retro and the square in the natal chart it seems..

maybe they are just a string of coincidences which makes astrology seem like we are looking into a kaleidoscope seeing all sorts of patterns that others think we are crazy for looking at!

There is a stellium of plamets in Leo in the independence chart- Sun,Mercury,Venus,Saturn and Pluto.Mercury is also the lord of 1st and 4th.
Mercury retrograded very close to its natal position in the Independence chart.
Transit SN is cutting through the ascendant(Gemini) and going to conjoing natal NN.

Triggering of this Leo stellium(sidereal cancer) has always been important and as this is opposed to Republic chart Solar position- leo always becomes important.

PD