Avoid it like a plague :-cry (No votes)
Don't care- It wasn't I at the table 8)
Total votes: 4 (80%)
Total votes: 5

Our friends at The Guardian have a very interesting article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... f-comments

Me thinks it is Gematria:

?????= Baobab -
The tree of life from which the fruit was stolen ad God cursed the man.
The Gematria for this is 13.

It could be that trying to reach for 13 was induced by a serpent (you know who) and resulted in God's curse and banishment of Adam and Eve.So, reaching for 13 is to be avoided.

13 is also the Gematria of Love ????

In Genesis 3:23 where this banishment is mentioned making 23 bad as well..

In China the "(un)luckiness" of a number usually depends on how it sounds; when a number like 4, in Cantonese or Mandarin sounds much like the word for death, it becomes a unlucky number - for those who speak that language. Ofcourse these popular beliefs get exported over time.
Having a slightly subversive streak in my personality (Mars in the House of the Goddess' Joy (3d), reading some decades ago Stan Gooch's "Guardians of the Ancient Wisdom", immediately turned me into a fan or positive supporter for the nr. 13. He states that
a) 13 is the number of the Moon (there being 13 "moons" in a year as opposed to 12 solar months);
b) friday, ofcourse, is "womens day": Freya or Venus (vendredi) rule the day!
c) friday the 13th is when both female principles (Moon and Venus) join forces and become v?ry strong;
d) therefore, catholic church fears the Power of the Female, they cunningly injected society with this notion of "bad luck" linked to friday-13's
Herman

http://www.hervaro.be

In this part of the world, number sixteen is considered good.
People look out for car registration numbers totaling 16 though not as common as those totaling 9 or 666.

In the British Raj times there used to 16 annas in a rupee and hence 16 was considered complete.

ISKCON founder insisted all his disciples to chant 16 rounds of 108 mantra daily without fail.This totals 1728 which is the cube of 12 another number associated with Sri Krishna.

13 is not considered bad but still the apartment block in which I am staying has 11,12,12A,14 as numbering of flats !!

The superstitions spread more rapidly than religion :)

------------
Strange co-incidence:

"The Dark Knight Rises" massacre man was born on 13th of Dec, intelligent enough to get into phi beta kappa and Golden key honour societies did hid killing in Century 16 theatre showing the Dark Knight and called himself the Joker ??
The film itself premiered on the 16th of July in NY.

PD