Puzzle - Ptolemy's Centiloquium, aphorism 37. Why is this?

I thought this might be a fun thing to put out as a puzzle, although I wouldn't be surprised if someone here solves it straightaway.
The 37th aphorism of Ptolemy's Centiloquium reads:
Who hath the sign of Virgo or Pisces in their horoscope (ie, ascendant) they shall attain preferment by their own industry and worth; but they who have Aries or Libra their ascendants shall willfully or innocently be the cause of their own deaths.
Why is this? Use your understanding of astrological logic. I will not give any clues but will comment when someone has got the answer right.

Apologies to those with Aries or Venus rising who did not realise this. :)

When Virgo is ascending, Gemini is in the 10th House. Therefore, Mercur rules both Asc and 10th. The same with Pisces, when Sagittarius culminates.

What about Aries? The opposite of it is Libra and the following Sign is Scorpio. Hence, Mars rules both Asc and 8th. The same with Libra, when Taurus is in 8th.
Amor ordinem nescit.
Love does not know order.
- Saint Jerome -

Hmmm Tzadde beat me to it.

I was going to say that if the ascendant is Pisces or Virgo then the same planet rules the 10th house as rules the ascendant hence the person being in control of their own dignity.

I was puzzling over why Aries and Libra would cause their own deaths, but yes I guess the 8th sign from both is the same ruler as the ascendant so this makes sense.

Of course ... you are too good and too quick :)

I suppose the way to summarise the principle, is that where the asc-ruler is dignified, we are able to activate or reaslise the things of that house.