The Nodes

In another thread, Varuna wrote: -
I do not include the nodes in planetary relationships, nor do I believe the nodes can receive or cast aspects, however, I do believe a planet conjunct a node is important in the functioning of that planet and if a planet is aspecting the sign the node is in.
By and large, I agree with Varuna.
Much as I'd like the Nodes to have planetary relationships, I can find nothing concrete on the matter. There are various lists of planetary relationships for the Nodes but they contradict one another and none seems time-honored or sanctioned by an authority such as Parasara.

I spent some time experimenting with aspects for the Nodes - the 5th & 9th aspects as frequently given and the 12th as occasionally mentioned - but found no evidence for them other than what could be put down to chance.

I did find planets in association with either Node to be affected, and planets within 6 degrees or so of the Node were generally profoundly affected.

Had not considered that, as Varuna puts it, a planet aspecting a sign in which a Node is placed is affected rather than the Node itself. At least, I think that was what Varuna was saying. He'll put me right if I've read him wrongly.

I'm wondering what experiences others have had in this area.

The Nodes

Varuna,

I?ve started reading Chapter 3 of Mathur?s book. Am debating whether to buy it; there are copies on offer on Amazon. Interesting.
I do not like the idea of using the nodes as karakas either, in the chara karaka scheme. Whether I am wrong about this, I do not know.
Your stance should not cause you very much trouble if you stick to Parasara?s instructions concerning the chara karakas. He employs seven categories, one for each planet, only bringing Rahu into play when two planets are in exact conjunction. And how often does that happen?

The Nodes

Effect of Nodes

Rahu and Ketu represent immigration to foreign countries or residence of various lengths in alien lands. I can?t find a direct reference to this right now. Searching for one in deFouw and Svoboda?s Light on Life, I came across an indirect one ? page 91. It is profession that is under review.
Rahu/Ketu . . . they indicate professions involving juggling; prestidigitation; immigration and foreign lands or languages; poisons, alcohol and other intoxicants; involvement with the masses.
Emphasis added by me.

In Gore Vidal?s horoscope ?
Oct 3, 1925, 10.00 am (from birth record)
West Point, NY, USA

- Rahu is in the 9th house of (among other things) foreign travel. (Light on Life, p. 142.) Vidal, while holding on to property in the US and not relinquishing his US passport, relocated to Italy and had his main home there for decades. Rahu in the 9th fits that profile. However, Rahu in the 9th cannot on its own account for Vidal?s long residence in Italy. But it is a contributory factor.

The lord of the 9th, Moon, is aspected by Saturn (which J. N. Bhasin (Events and Nativities Explained, etc.) calls a ?separative? planet, meaning that contact with Saturn tends to point to separation in some form or other with regard to the karaka it has links to). Moon is also aspected by the lord of the 12th, Venus. Again Light on Life ( p. 147) has this as a house of foreign residency and/or immigration. Venus is in its own sign and Saturn is exalted. This accords with Vidal voluntarily relocating to Italy ? unlike some of the ancient Romans he wrote about in Julian[b/] who were sent into exile. Likewise, lord of 9th Moon is aspected by the lord of 2nd house (and thus a makara) Jupiter and natural malefic Mars. The latter planet aspects the sixth as lord of the sixth; and any planet aspecting its own house benefits the things the house represents ? and planets situated in the house. So again voluntary relocation is indicated.

Jupiter may be a makara but it is in its own house, and a natural benefic. The positives outweigh the negatives.

Jupiter is also the lord of the ninth from the ninth ? bhavat bhavam; and like the Moon is under the aspect of Saturn and Mars. Bhavat bhavam, literally ?house from house? is the Vedic principle that the second house from the second house, for instance, possesses qualities of the second house; the third from the third likewise, and so on.

Checking different areas of the chart, the evidence for foreign residence accumulates. But the beginner, still learning the art of astrological interpretation, can start to unravel this thread simply by noting Rahu?s presence in the 9th house in rashi as a possible signpost and investigating further.

Melissa

I am unaware of any classical text which interprets the rulers of the 2nd and 7th with malefic delineations. The rule only applies to their status in terms of longevity.

The symbolism of the 7th House as the "sunset point" of the daily wheel, wherein darkness overcomes light, provides ample symbolic justification for its status as an indicator of "the end."

The 2nd House is more difficult, though it is worth remembering that Hellenistic astrologers sometimes referred to the 2nd House as "the Gates of Hades." However, this appears to refer to emergence FROM the Otherworld rather than entering INTO it, as the daily progress of the Sun through the houses places that luminary in the 2nd House just BEFORE it rises into the Lagna and enters the realm of light. I am not entirely clear as to why the 2nd qualifies as a maraka.

To Varuna:

I edited both Vols. 1 and 2 of Behari's work. His American publisher went out of business before we could complete Vol. 3, which was produced in India without an English language editor, hence the difference.