Planetary Tables

I have been searching for info on The table of the seven planets/twelve signs from Cornelius Agrippas 3 Books page 551-552.I see that one enters a name into the table and then extracts another appertaining to the nature of the spirit.Just curious if anyone has any knowledge of the use of these tables or can give any explanation of their use.Thank You HS

Ah ok. Basically you take the name of something. If you want to know the good daemon's name under a certain planet or sign (depending on the table), you use the leftmost column. On the top row you'll see either the planets or signs. On the left column identify the first letter in the name and see what the letter is under the desired planet or sign. Do this for each letter, and you will eventually get a new name. That's the good daemon's name.

Notice the letters in the "good" column are in proper order, and the "evil" column is reversed.

By the way, in the J.F./Tyson edition, be careful with Tyson's commentary and footnotes - especially with the astrological sections. J.F. tended to mistranslate astrological terms, and Tyson made it worse with his commentary. I'm correcting all of these in my translation.

I will be looking for your upcoming book-I live in New York City and looking for a personal Astrologer for years.Specifically one that knows Agrippa or traditional/astrologocal but cannot find any.If we had any charts pertaining to the astrology of C. Agrippa (dating from his era)I think it would it would really be helpful.Has anyone ever found charts dating from his time ? Thanks Again-Harold

Have you heard of Chris Warnock's site renaissanceastrology.com? He specializes in that period. He's very knowledgeable and has a group on Yahoo.

Agrippa's book was written as an argument to show how magic, the occult, and astrology is part of the natural world and not adverse to the world of the renaissance. He did this by constructing most of his book by directly quoting from other well-respected writers. About 90% of "Three Books of Occult Philosophy" is constructed of quotes from other books. My translation cites all of these.

So actually the astrology of Agrippa is mostly direct quotes from al-Kindi's "On the Solar Rays", al-Qabisi's "Introduction to Astrology", Ficino's "Three Books on Life", "The Picatrix", and Franciscus Georgius' "Harmonia Mundi". Most of these are easy to find except for Georgius, which has never been translated into English. Thankfully Agrippa directly quoted about a 1/4 of Georgius' book.