skyscript.co.uk
   

home articles forum events
glossary horary quiz consultations links more

Read this before using the forum
Register
FAQ
Search
View memberlist
View/edit your user profile
Log in to check your private messages
Log in
Recent additions:
Godfather of Modernity: The Alan Leo Legacy Vol. One - Early Astrological Journals 1890-1912, compiled by Philip M Graves
Reviewed by Deborah Houlding
Lilly's Considerations
compiled by D. Houlding
Book II of Carmen Astrologicum by Dorotheus
translated by David Pingree
Compiled by Deborah Houlding
The Babylonian Astrolabe: the Calendar of Creation, by Rumen K. Kolev
Reviewed by Gill Zukovskis

Skyscript Astrology Forum

combustion during armistice
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Nativities & General Astrology
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jorge



Joined: 13 Mar 2012
Posts: 124

Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: combustion during armistice Reply with quote

11 nov 1918 armistice is signed

Sun at 11 scorpio conj Venus at 15 scorpio
Like Andre Barbault claimed the Sun makes planets in conjunction shine not burn
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mark
Moderator


Joined: 30 Sep 2005
Posts: 4193
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jorge,

Mundane astrology is a lot more complicated than just looking at daily transits. Moreover, in the hierarchy of predictive astrology transits are at the bottom of the pile. We also need the whole chart for a proper delineation not just a snippet like this. Anyway, this is really, a mundane question. I would suggest its more appropriately discussed on the mundane forum than here.

Mark
_________________
''Man is troubled not by events, but by the meaning he gives them"

Epictetus
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
jorge



Joined: 13 Mar 2012
Posts: 124

Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
Hi jorge,

Mundane astrology is a lot more complicated than just looking at daily transits. Moreover, in the hierarchy of predictive astrology transits are at the bottom of the pile. We also need the whole chart for a proper delineation not just a snippet like this. Anyway, this is really, a mundane question. I would suggest its more appropriately discussed on the mundane forum than here.

Mark


Hi Mark
I got a bit suspicious when R Hand told me that I must use all those Arabic parts besides houses and planets, not to mention cycles Vedic style.
It looks like a cop out. If one method ,like transits,doesnt work,you resort to directions,if these dont work either,use the Parts or cycles. See what I`m trying to get at?


thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
james_m



Joined: 05 Dec 2011
Posts: 1782
Location: vancouver island

Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi jorge,

you are bringing a lot of conversation to this site! it looks like you are slowing down though with only a few posts a day compared to a week ago..

i like what you have to say here.. essentially as i read it you are saying - astrology is full of inconsistencies.. correct me if i am wrong, but that is what you appear to be saying and that is what you appear to be saying on a number of other threads. i agree with this observation if indeed this is what you are trying to communicate.. i suppose if you just came out and said that though, people would be less likely to respond to you.. as it is, you are getting some response.. i am curious about your astrology background.. where did you get started and where are you at presently with astrology? thanks - james
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jorge



Joined: 13 Mar 2012
Posts: 124

Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james_m wrote:
hi jorge, you are bringing a lot of conversation to this site! it looks like you are slowing down though with only a few posts a day compared to a week ago.. i like what you have to say here.. essentially as i read it you are saying - astrology is full of inconsistencies.. correct me if i am wrong, but that is what you appear to be saying and that is what you appear to be saying on a number of other threads. i agree with this observation if indeed this is what you are trying to communicate.. i suppose if you just came out and said that though, people would be less likely to respond to you.. as it is, you are getting some response.. i am curious about your astrology background.. where did you get started and where are you at presently with astrology? thanks - james


Hi James
1977 Derek and julia parker- the complete Astrologer
later I read Andre Barbault, Stephen Arroyo, March and Mcevers, Liz Greene, Volguine, Herman Meyer(german), Joelle de Gravellaine, then with the advent of Internet I heard of Hand and Project Hindsight. I think ive read more in forums than in books, not to mention Chinese systems. Et voilá.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
james_m



Joined: 05 Dec 2011
Posts: 1782
Location: vancouver island

Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jorge,

that is quite a mix! not that many touch on barbault as most of his work is in french. maybe you are european and know the romantic languages.. i don't! presently i am reading jean-baptiste morins book 23 on solar returns.. it is quite fascinating.. i had read book 22 on directions which was also good.. an interesting observation i take away from book 22 is how morins astrological relative peer - jerome cardan - is up for such heavy criticism from morin.. the reason i mention this is that astrology and astrologers seem to have an ingrained ability to see things very differently. for me what this means is that more then whether someone is right or wrong is that astrology needs to be understood within the context of art, as opposed to science more.. it is all in the interpretative process which will be very different for different astrologers..

i think this will give you the freedom to come to your own conclusions, but obviously reading and learning as much of astrology as possible is going to aid in your ability to come to your own conclusion on the nature of astrology. for me the learning never stops. i have been doing astrology as a hobby for 35 or more years.. needless to say when i started i was exposed to what was available which is very different from those coming into astrology the past 10 years for example.. i like casting a wide net and learning from many different astrologers. happy trails in your strong desire to learn more! james
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jorge



Joined: 13 Mar 2012
Posts: 124

Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james_m wrote:
jorge, that is quite a mix! not that many touch on barbault as most of his work is in french. maybe you are european and know the romantic languages.. i don't! presently i am reading jean-baptiste morins book 23 on solar returns.. it is quite fascinating.. i had read book 22 on directions which was also good.. an interesting observation i take away from book 22 is how morins astrological relative peer - jerome cardan - is up for such heavy criticism from morin.. the reason i mention this is that astrology and astrologers seem to have an ingrained ability to see things very differently. for me what this means is that more then whether someone is right or wrong is that astrology needs to be understood within the context of art, as opposed to science more.. it is all in the interpretative process which will be very different for different astrologers.. i think this will give you the freedom to come to your own conclusions, but obviously reading and learning as much of astrology as possible is going to aid in your ability to come to your own conclusion on the nature of astrology. for me the learning never stops. i have been doing astrology as a hobby for 35 or more years.. needless to say when i started i was exposed to what was available which is very different from those coming into astrology the past 10 years for example.. i like casting a wide net and learning from many different astrologers. happy trails in your strong desire to learn more! james


An art but not like painting or music.
There must be standards. If you tell the same person next month he is likely to get a job, and Mark or Paul tell him the opposite, someone is going to be wrong, hence practicing the wrong type of methodology,and harm the client
The only artistic aspect is in the inspiration when you do a reading,the rest is all about astrological rules. Geoffrey Dean claimed that in the world of Astrology anything goes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
###



Joined: 08 Jul 2004
Posts: 1381

Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorge wrote:

Quote:
I got a bit suspicious when R Hand told me that I must use all those Arabic parts besides houses and planets, not to mention cycles Vedic style.


You met Mr. Hand and he personally told you that? When and where was that? I've never had the impression that he was a particularly big promoter of the parts (or lots) as essential factors, but maybe he uses them more than I was aware of.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jorge



Joined: 13 Mar 2012
Posts: 124

Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirk wrote:
Jorge wrote:

Quote:
I got a bit suspicious when R Hand told me that I must use all those Arabic parts besides houses and planets, not to mention cycles Vedic style.


You met Mr. Hand and he personally told you that? When and where was that? I've never had the impression that he was a particularly big promoter of the parts (or lots) as essential factors, but maybe he uses them more than I was aware of.


emailed him, when i mentioned my cousins who lost two siblings and told him that placidus appeared to work better on the whole,he began to talk about the lot of the brothers for all them
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
james_m



Joined: 05 Dec 2011
Posts: 1782
Location: vancouver island

Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jorge wrote:

An art but not like painting or music.
There must be standards. If you tell the same person next month he is likely to get a job, and Mark or Paul tell him the opposite, someone is going to be wrong, hence practicing the wrong type of methodology,and harm the client
The only artistic aspect is in the inspiration when you do a reading,the rest is all about astrological rules. Geoffrey Dean claimed that in the world of Astrology anything goes


geoffrey dean is not fully wrong to say this, but 'truth is often relative' and absolute not so much.. i can understand some - geoff, or jorge - wanting to make it the later or point out the many discrepancies which anyone involved in astrology will be well familiar with..

jorge, is your intent to take geoffs position on astrology in a similar manner - "Geoffrey Dean claimed that in the world of Astrology anything goes" or are you formulating your own view independent of his? i am curious..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
###



Joined: 08 Jul 2004
Posts: 1381

Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

Now - How does your "R Hand told me that I must use all those Arabic parts" [with my added emphasis] match factually with "he began to talk about the lot of the brothers for all them"? That sounds pretty mild to me. Talking about one pertinent part or lot doesn't sound very pressing and extravagant.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jorge



Joined: 13 Mar 2012
Posts: 124

Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james_m wrote:
jorge wrote:

An art but not like painting or music.
There must be standards. If you tell the same person next month he is likely to get a job, and Mark or Paul tell him the opposite, someone is going to be wrong, hence practicing the wrong type of methodology,and harm the client
The only artistic aspect is in the inspiration when you do a reading,the rest is all about astrological rules. Geoffrey Dean claimed that in the world of Astrology anything goes


geoffrey dean is not fully wrong to say this, but 'truth is often relative' and absolute not so much.. i can understand some - geoff, or jorge - wanting to make it the later or point out the many discrepancies which anyone involved in astrology will be well familiar with..

jorge, is your intent to take geoffs position on astrology in a similar manner - "Geoffrey Dean claimed that in the world of Astrology anything goes" or are you formulating your own view independent of his? i am curious..


You know what they mean. Wre resort to chart complexity when isolated factors dont work but have no qualms in using the same isolated factors when they seem to work. Its a matter of consistency. If i were an outsider id feel the same way.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jorge



Joined: 13 Mar 2012
Posts: 124

Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirk wrote:
Thank you.

Now - How does your "R Hand told me that I must use all those Arabic parts" [with my added emphasis] match factually with "he began to talk about the lot of the brothers for all them"? That sounds pretty mild to me. Talking about one pertinent part or lot doesn't sound very pressing and extravagant.


He didnt use those words, it was a long time ago, but he certainly uses the lots or at least he suggested I used them. Unless in this case he used them as a cop out of course
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
###



Joined: 08 Jul 2004
Posts: 1381

Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jorge wrote:
Kirk wrote:
Thank you.

Now - How does your "R Hand told me that I must use all those Arabic parts" [with my added emphasis] match factually with "he began to talk about the lot of the brothers for all them"? That sounds pretty mild to me. Talking about one pertinent part or lot doesn't sound very pressing and extravagant.


He didnt use those words, it was a long time ago, but he certainly uses the lots or at least he suggested I used them. Unless in this case he used them as a cop out of course



I'm afraid I can't accept much of what you say. You put words into the mouths of others and make very inaccurate statements. As a favor to both of us and the forum I will try to avoid replying to your posts. Otherwise, I probably won't be very nice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
james_m



Joined: 05 Dec 2011
Posts: 1782
Location: vancouver island

Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james_m wrote:


jorge, is your intent to take geoffs position on astrology in a similar manner - "Geoffrey Dean claimed that in the world of Astrology anything goes" or are you formulating your own view independent of his? i am curious..


jorge wrote:
You know what they mean. Wre resort to chart complexity when isolated factors dont work but have no qualms in using the same isolated factors when they seem to work. Its a matter of consistency. If i were an outsider id feel the same way.


jorge, i asked you a direct question but i feel you are giving an obfuscating response.. do you like astrology, or do you hate it? my impression is that you hate it and want to take it down.. perhaps you can tell me if this is different or give me a reponse to my first question? thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Nativities & General Astrology All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
. Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

       
Contact Deborah Houlding  | terms and conditions  
All rights on all text and images reserved. Reproduction by any means is not permitted without the express
agreement of Deborah Houlding or in the case of articles by guest astrologers, the copyright owner indictated