Book II of Carmen Astrologicum by Dorotheus
translated by David Pingree
Compiled by Deborah Houlding
The Babylonian Astrolabe: the Calendar of Creation, by Rumen K. Kolev
Reviewed by Gill Zukovskis

Skyscript Astrology Forum

John wayne Gacy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Nativities & General Astrology
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jorge

Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: John wayne Gacy Reply with quote

http://www.astrotheme.com/astrology/John_Wayne_Gacy A pisces Sun Moon serial killer? This proves that angular planets eat the whole cake. Mars aspecting Uranus setting , which according to Charles Carter is the top one for homicide
But ancient Astrologers wouldnt have seen Uranus
Mark

Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously they wouldn't have used Uranus. Relying on a separating Mars-Uranus conjunction seems quite weak to me.

Look at the malefic fixed stars:

ASC: on Dschubba (Isidus)

Moon: on Scheat

Saturn: on Algol

Mark

Epictetus
Mark

Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you are interested in the astrology of murder you will probably find Barbara Watters book worth studying 'An Astrologer Looks At Murder'.

The previous Chair of my Association collaborated with another local astrologer and updated Watter's work with research into a large number of Scottish serial killers. For some reason Scotland seems to have produced a disproportionate number of such people. Plus accurate natal data is easier to obtain here as it is recorded on birth certificates (unlike the rest of the UK).

http://www.amazon.com/An-Astrologer-Looks-at-Murder/dp/0866901671

I seem to recall that the most common configuration discovered in my predecessor's research into these charts was a new moon. Interesting that this occurs in the chart of this killer too. This fits in well with traditional notions of the new moon being combust under the Sun's beams. Planets under the beams are linked to hiddeness and secrecy. Moreover, in Ptolemy's notion of the 'quality of the soul' our instinctive thinking is ruled by the moon.

Mark

Epictetus
jorge

Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
As you are interested in the astrology of murder you will probably find Barbara Watters book worth studying 'An Astrologer Looks At Murder'. The previous Chair of my Association collaborated with another local astrologer and updated Watter's work with research into a large number of Scottish serial killers. For some reason Scotland seems to have produced a disproportionate number of such people. Plus accurate natal data is easier to obtain here as it is recorded on birth certificates (unlike the rest of the UK). http://www.amazon.com/An-Astrologer-Looks-at-Murder/dp/0866901671 I seem to recall that the most common configuration discovered in my predecessor's research into these charts was a new moon. Interesting that this occurs in the chart of this killer too. This fits in well with traditional notions of the new moon being combust under the Sun's beams. Planets under the beams are linked to hiddeness and secrecy. Moreover, in Ptolemy's notion of the 'quality of the soul' our instinctive thinking is ruled by the moon. Mark

Funny you mention Scotland. Yesterday I was thinking that the Gauguelin study should be replicated in a country like yours,where birth times are always recorded.
Mark

Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorge wrote:

Quote:
Funny you mention Scotland. Yesterday I was thinking that the Gauguelin study should be replicated in a country like yours,where birth times are always recorded.

Well it could certainly be included. However, the sample would not be large enough. I seem to recall for statistically significant data you need literally thousands of charts. Hence Gauguelin trawled all over western Europe to compile his statistics. I was under the impression that countries like France, Belgium and Switzerland recorded birth times in birth certificates too? Confused

This is not the kind of project to take on lightly. It something that would take years to do thoroughly. Have you read Suitbert Ertel's update 'the Tenacious Mars Effect'?

http://www.amazon.com/Tenacious-Mars-Effect-Suitbert-Ertel/dp/1871989159

You need a thorough knowledge of statistics to avoid various sampling traps.

Personally, I am doubtful about attempts to verify astrology empirically. I see the astrologer as an active participant in the process of creating living astrology rather than a detached observer separated from the astrology. There is no doubt that sceptics like Geoffrey Dean have challenged every piece of research that suggests astrology might have any empirical basis:

http://www.astrology-and-science.com/

Mark

Epictetus
Atlantean

Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mark,

Re: "I seem to recall that the most common configuration discovered in my predecessor's research into these charts was a new moon."

In that study, do you happen to remember/know how tightly it had to be to still be considered a new moon? (in terms of the study)

Peace

James
Mark

Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atlantean wrote:
Quote:
In that study, do you happen to remember/know how tightly it had to be to still be considered a new moon? (in terms of the study)

I dont I am afraid. The research was never published. I can try and contact my predecessor although she is living outside the UK now. It was really, just one comment that I recalled. There were other factors too. I will see if I can find out. She is a modern astrologer so I imagine she will be defining the 'new moon' more tightly than I might do.

I will see if she is willing to post anything here on her findings. No guarantees but I will have a go.

Mark

Epictetus
Atlantean

Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mark

I must admit that I am curious.

My Sun is at 11° Cancer and my Moon at 28°. This is 35 to 36 hours after the New Moon. To me, it's well after the New Moon, but I realize that this is a subjective thing, hence wanting to know relative to the study how wide they were considering...

Peace

James
jorge

Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atlantean wrote:
Hello Mark,

Re: "I seem to recall that the most common configuration discovered in my predecessor's research into these charts was a new moon."

Peace

James

I checked a few but no new moons,at least not in Dennis Nilssen or Thomas Hamilton.The latter has Full moon though
Mark

Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I checked a few but no new moons,at least not in Dennis Nilssen or Thomas Hamilton.The latter has Full moon though

Hello Jorge,

First off this was purely from my flawed memory of a talk a few years ago. Perhaps full moons well included too. I really cant recall. I will see if the person that did the research still has the results. However, she may be saving this for her own article at some point.

Frankly though if it was as simple as every chart having the same signature for murder we could dispense with the formalities of the criminal justice system and just let the astrologers decide who should be locked up. Laughing

It was only a trend in a sample of charts. Its certainly not going to occur in every or probably even most charts. I was talking about statistical significance. You might find it as helpful to study statistics if you are seeking to do this kind of astrological research.

regards

Mark

Epictetus
margherita

Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some strange coincidence in these days I'm writing a short text for an Italian conference where I will discuss Henry Landru - dubbed Bluebeard, killer of 10 women and a child- birth chart and he is born with the New Moon.

http://www.astro.com/astro-databank/Landru,_Henri_Desire

the more the time passes, the more I'm in agreement with Mark Smile

margherita
jorge

Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

margherita wrote:
For some strange coincidence in these days I'm writing a short text for an Italian conference where I will discuss Henry Landru - dubbed Bluebeard, killer of 10 women and a child- birth chart and he is born with the New Moon.

http://www.astro.com/astro-databank/Landru,_Henri_Desire

the more the time passes, the more I'm in agreement with Mark Smile

margherita

http://www.astro.com/astro-databank/Bundy,_Ted

I was looking for Ted Bundy but I dont know if he qualifies. He is past the new moon.
I only checked a few in Astrodatabank. Nevill Heath has full moon,almost.
But no new moon.Certainly not Pete Sutcliffe.But he has Saturn and Venus in Cancer in h8. This is telling.Venus lord of mC,the point of action
Mark

Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margherita wrote;
Quote:
the more the time passes, the more I'm in agreement with Mark

I suspect that is because you have subtlety converted me to Ptolemy!

Just wondered what you made of Alexander Volguine's notion of the '28 lunar houses'? Confused

He wasn't discussing the 28 lunar mansions which are fixed and always start from 0 Aries. Rather he meant 28 'lunar houses' derived from the phases of the Moon and starting at the Soli-lunar conjunction. He described the 28th and 1st of these (approximating to the Moon 8.5 degrees before and after the sun) as the mansions of the dark Goddess Hecate and claimed this was derived from ancient sources. He suggested all these 'houses' were once named after lunar goddesses but the names had been lost in time. Only the name of the most malefic had passed down to us. I haven't seen any sources supporting this have you?

Anyway here is Volguine himself:

Quote:
Mythology, that wonderful bible of all the traditional sciences, which conceals all the laws of Astrology under the transparent veil of symbols, offers a whole series of lunar goddesses, each one with her own features, which connect each to the lunar orbit. Earlier we located Ceres in the ninth and tenth houses and Diana in the eleventh, twelfth and thirteenth. Each of these goddess represents a particular phase of lunar influence, and tradition links houses twenty-eight and one to, those of the invisible phase of the Moon, with Hecate, the goddess of the infernal Moon.

Of all these associations this one is the most certain, indisputable and unobjectionable. It is also the only one that Greek tradition has transmitted to us, and perhaps the only one it was aware of during the Graeco-Roman period. The attributions of Semele, Rhea, Opis, Cybele, Eileithyia and all the other cosmic goddesses seem to have been already partly forgotten in the classical era..............

The first and last Lunar Houses are those of Hecate, the dark moon, she who strikes from afar, who was called Triple Hecate and represented by three animal heads. Everything we know of this blood colored goddess may by analogy be applied to persons born with the moon in these Houses. Above all it is the sign of much uncertainty throughout life, of feelings which are incomprehensible to the native himself, and of a need for affection which is rarely satisfied. Lunar Astrology Alexander Volguine, p91

Consistent with medieval astrology Volguine suggests the 8.5 degrees before the Sun are the most malefic for the Moon ( corresponding to the 28th house). As you have probably deduced Volguine’s lunar houses are not equal in size abnd correspond to the light of the moon.

While volguine published his book in 1936 in French it was not translated into English until 1972.

Mark

Epictetus

Last edited by Mark on Tue May 08, 2012 5:33 am; edited 1 time in total
###

Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

While volguine published his book in 1936 in french it was not translated into English until 1972.

Mark,

I'm looking but haven't found the title of the book. Which book are you talking about?

OH!!!

NEVER MIND! FOUND IT!

The evils of twitchy eyes.
Mark

Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lunar Astrology by Alexander Volguine

Epictetus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Nativities & General Astrology All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: