Planetary Alertness and Moods

In a post on a different subject, Varuna wrote
My favorite planet dispositions are the Alertness and the Moods, for example:

awake, dreaming, asleep

glowing, sad, mischievous, proud, peaceful, comfortable
Going through my notes, I found the following from a lecture given by Professor Jaya Shekhar on Planetary Avasthas at the BAVA Conference, 2000.
One Avesta (that concerned with Alertness)
has three conditions and refers to STATES OF CONSCIOUSNESS

Own sign or exalted JAGRAT awake, normal consciousness
In house of friend or neutral SWAPNA in a dream state, dreaming
In house of enemy or debilitated NIDRA in a state of deep sleep

In its own sign or exaltation sign, a planet?s state is that of being ?awake?.
In the house of a friendly or neutral planet, it is in the state of dreaming.
In the house of an enemy planet or when debilitated, it is in a state of deep unconsciousness.

This is not about ?good? or ?bad? but describes situations like this:
When the planet dreams, the native also dreams (where the things the planet represents are concerned). Professor Shekhar told us of a man whose Moon represented the marriage partner. The Moon was sleeping, and so the man?s tendency was to choose a wife while, metaphorically, in a dream-like state.
When the planet sleeps, the native sleeps though his opportunities.
He added, as a note of caution
Interpretation should not be literal.
Sadly, I have no notes on how planets behave when their Mood is mischievous, proud and so on.

I have read sections of Chapter 47 of BPHS on the Avasthas of Planets. It is indeed a long chapter. While in its latter stages it outlines delineations for Planets in Shayan avastha, Netrapani avastha, Prakash avastha, etc., such avasthas seem to me rather obscure. They will not overturn any indication given by a graha being placed in such and such a sign, such and such a house, aspected by such and such planets.

Professor Shekhar, in his lecture to the BAVA conference in 2000, made the point that three avasthas were worth spending time on (at least for astrologers of the level we conference attendees had attained). I include my notes on his talk, removing only the section already posted by me.
SUNDAY, Lecture # 3: Professor Jaya Shekhar, Planetary Avasthas

Avasta means state or condition but in particular it is a problematic state.
The rules allow us to decide whether the planet is in a happy state or not.

Three Avastas are important.

Apply the following rules to the planetary significations and NOT to the house significations of the planet.

1) has three conditions and refers to STATES OF CONSCIOUSNESS

[I have already posted my notes on this avastha.]

When the planet sleeps, the native sleeps though his opportunities.

2) refers to energy, and shows the capacity of the planet to deliver its results.

1. Exaltation sign 100%
2. own sign 80%
3. sign of great friend 75%
4. sign of friend 50%
5. sign of neutral 45%
6. sign of enemy or with a malefic 25%
7. sign of great enemy 10%
8. sign of debilitation or is combust 0%

The energy of the planet is shown by the second Avasta.

3) refers to time.

Odd Signs Even Signs
25% 0?- 6? Bala Infancy 24?-30? 0%
50% 6?-12? Kumara Childhood 18?-24? 25%
100% 12?-18? Yavana Youth 12?-18? 100%
25% 18?-24? Vridha Old age 6?-12? 50%
0% 24?-30? Mithra Dead 0?- 6? 25%

Should a planet be exactly on the boarder of any of these divisions, the astrologer will have to use her/his judgment to decide which division the planet ought to be placed in.

The third Avasta tells us the age of planet: When does the planet give its result: as an infant, a child, a youth . . . or will the native never get the result (dead)?

It is a timing device. The ages correspond approximately to the years of life thus: -

Bala = 0 ? 5 years old
Kuma = 5 ? 12 years old
Yavana = 12 ? 25/30 years old
Vridha = 25/30 ? 60 years old
Mithar = 60 ? 65 years old (too old to enjoy the fruits?)

Marriage shown to happen in Infancy will mean that as soon as that person can legally marry in their culture, they will do so. It does not mean they will marry before they are five years old!

This Avasta-triad constitutes the most important set of avastas.
Until I know a great deal more about vedic astrology than I do, I am going to limit myself to the three avasthas above, as Professor Shekhar suggested.

Varuna,

I am replying to your post containing the Sayanadi avastha information for Ramakrishna.
I am dismayed that, as neither birth time for Ramakrishna may be accurate, one cannot with confidence apply your information to the chart. I would rather we had the Sayanadi avastha information for the timed chart of a known person (a person who is known to the world) so that we could relate those findings to the horoscope as a whole - the bhava and rashi positions of the planets, their aspects upon each other and on lagna, etc.

Royal personages usually have a timed birth, as do twins; and some countries record the birth time as a matter of course. Scotland is one such.
If you are familiar with the case, we could use as an example chart that of Ian Brady, born in Scotland, and known in Britain as one of the Moors Murderers.

Ian Brady. January 2nd, 1938. 12.40 p.m. Glasgow, UK - 55N53 4W15.

Or any horoscope of your choosing as long as the birth time is considered accurate.

Melissa

Varuna,

Of course it is fine if you choose another subject. Just so long as it's someone with a recorded birth time so major doubts as to the accuracy of the chart are put to rest.

I came too late to the other thread, about Gacy and Manson, to witness the abuse. Deb had removed the offending posts when I took a look. Probably just as well I missed it. Sorry if any of the remarks got to you. Hope they didn't.

Melissa

Varuna,

A big thank you for Brady's avestha information. Am wondering what effect Jupiter being desirous of dancing would have on a person like Brady. :D
the time is wrong, but since it is a recorded time, it is hopefully not far off.
That's what I meant. I investigated the charts of twins once. They knew their (recorded) birth times but what stuck in their minds was that they were born 16 minutes apart. Using rectification techniques both times were adjusted by about a minute and a half. They were still born 16 minutes apart, however, according to the rectification information. Maybe somebody's watch was a minute and half out. I mean, who had a guaranteed accurate watch fifty years ago?

Melissa