skyscript.co.uk
   

home articles forum events
glossary horary quiz consultations links more

Read this before using the forum
Register
FAQ
Search
View memberlist
View/edit your user profile
Log in to check your private messages
Log in
Recent additions:
Book III of Carmen Astrologicum by Dorotheus
translated by David Pingree
Notes on Dorotheus III: the haylāj, Kadhkhudāh, and terms of life
by Deborah Houlding
Godfather of Modernity: The Alan Leo Legacy Vol. One - Early Astrological Journals 1890-1912, compiled by Philip M Graves
Reviewed by Deborah Houlding
Lilly's Considerations
compiled by D. Houlding

Skyscript Astrology Forum

Cadent or angular and strong

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Nativities & General Astrology
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jorge



Joined: 13 Mar 2012
Posts: 124

Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Cadent or angular and strong Reply with quote

Hi
Suppose a planet is cadent but 7 or 10 degrees away from MC point. Would that be deemed cadent and weak or angular and strong as in Gauguelin zones?

And what if a planet lords 4 or more planets but is cadent, and another,which is angular, is lord of none or only one?
thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mark
Moderator


Joined: 30 Sep 2005
Posts: 4194
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorge,

You have now opened 9 threads on the Nativities & General forum in only 24 hours. Shocked

I am all for curiosity and desire to share ideas and your enthusiasm is self evident! Still, this is really a bit excessive in such a short timescale. I suggest you slow down a bit and give other members more time to reply to your existing threads without constantly opening new ones. Its much better to focus on quality contributions rather than just quantity here.

Having said all that your question is perfectly valid and I am sure will stimulate an interesting discussion.

Mark
_________________
''Man is troubled not by events, but by the meaning he gives them"

Epictetus
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
jorge



Joined: 13 Mar 2012
Posts: 124

Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
Jorge, You have now opened 9 threads on the Nativities & General forum in only 24 hours. Shocked I am all for curiosity and desire to share ideas and your enthusiasm is self evident! Still, this is really a bit excessive in such a short timescale. I suggest you slow down a bit and give other members more time to reply to your existing threads without constantly opening new ones. Its much better to focus on quality contributions rather than just quantity here. Having said all that your question is perfectly valid and I am sure will stimulate an interesting discussion. Mark


Sorry Mark

This is the result of having re-discovered an old book I had in my shelves by Charles Carter which I had completely forgotten but contans tons of info

IŽll relax for the weekend booze Thumbs up
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PFN



Joined: 28 Dec 2008
Posts: 393
Location: Ouro Preto, Brasil

Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gauquelin zones are not mainstream astrology, still, you can consider it and see if it holds up in your work.

About cadency, I'd consider any planet 5 degrees alway from the angle to be already cadent, as per Ptolemy.

Finally, an angular planet will express itself and a cadent one will be inhibited. But then, you have to look at the planet and see if it has dignity and if it portends good or evil. I'd prefer an "evil" planet to be cadent than to be angular...
_________________
Paulo Felipe Noronha
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
jorge



Joined: 13 Mar 2012
Posts: 124

Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PFN wrote:
Gauquelin zones are not mainstream astrology, still, you can consider it and see if it holds up in your work. About cadency, I'd consider any planet 5 degrees alway from the angle to be already cadent, as per Ptolemy. Finally, an angular planet will express itself and a cadent one will be inhibited. But then, you have to look at the planet and see if it has dignity and if it portends good or evil. I'd prefer an "evil" planet to be cadent than to be angular...
By angular you 90 mean degrees from ASC as in WSH or close to MC point?
My MC is in 9th house so the planets there would be cadent Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PFN



Joined: 28 Dec 2008
Posts: 393
Location: Ouro Preto, Brasil

Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By angular I mean inside 1st, 10th, 7th or 4th houses, by division.
_________________
Paulo Felipe Noronha
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Paul
Moderator


Joined: 23 Nov 2009
Posts: 1145

Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Cadent or angular and strong Reply with quote

jorge wrote:
Hi
Suppose a planet is cadent but 7 or 10 degrees away from MC point. Would that be deemed cadent and weak or angular and strong as in Gauguelin zones?

And what if a planet lords 4 or more planets but is cadent, and another,which is angular, is lord of none or only one?
thanks


Jorge

The gaquelin sectors are sectors, not houses. The gauqelin sectors are not defined as 'angular and strong'. They are sectors. It's true that the cadent houses appear to be the more influential by these sectors of course.

However when we use words like angular, we're putting our astrology right back into the mainstream, which Gauqelin sectors are not. So we're wise to not conflate the two terms, it just leads to confusion.

I'd consider any planet to be 5 degrees, give or take, from an angle, to be angular.

I say 'give or take' as I do not believe planets are powerful 5 degrees away, and then become completely cadent at 5 degrees 1 minute away.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jorge



Joined: 13 Mar 2012
Posts: 124

Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Cadent or angular and strong Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
jorge wrote:
Hi
Suppose a planet is cadent but 7 or 10 degrees away from MC point. Would that be deemed cadent and weak or angular and strong as in Gauguelin zones?

And what if a planet lords 4 or more planets but is cadent, and another,which is angular, is lord of none or only one?
thanks


Jorge

The gaquelin sectors are sectors, not houses. The gauqelin sectors are not defined as 'angular and strong'. They are sectors. It's true that the cadent houses appear to be the more influential by these sectors of course.

However when we use words like angular, we're putting our astrology right back into the mainstream, which Gauqelin sectors are not. So we're wise to not conflate the two terms, it just leads to confusion.

I'd consider any planet to be 5 degrees, give or take, from an angle, to be angular.

I say 'give or take' as I do not believe planets are powerful 5 degrees away, and then become completely cadent at 5 degrees 1 minute away.

Fine,but you still have the problem of house system. If like Hand says MC is just a point,not a an house cusp, then if I have pisces in 10 ,MC in aquarius and planets in in it, they should be cadent regardless of being close to MC no?
Were you reffering to WS houses?


Last edited by jorge on Tue May 08, 2012 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jorge



Joined: 13 Mar 2012
Posts: 124

Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Cadent or angular and strong Reply with quote

[quote="Paul"]
jorge wrote:
Hi
Suppose a planet is cadent but 7 or 10 degrees away from MC point. Would that be deemed cadent and weak or angular and strong as in Gauguelin zones?

And what if a planet lords 4 or more planets but is cadent, and another,which is angular, is lord of none or only one?
thanks


Jorge

The gaquelin sectors are sectors, not houses. The gauqelin sectors are not defined as 'angular and strong'. They are sectors. It's true that the cadent houses appear to be the more influential by these sectors of course.

However when we use words like angular, we're putting our astrology right back into the mainstream, which Gauqelin sectors are not. So we're wise to not conflate the two terms, it just leads to confusion.

I'd consider any planet to be 5 degrees, give or take, from an angle, to be angular.

I say 'give or
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Paul
Moderator


Joined: 23 Nov 2009
Posts: 1145

Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Cadent or angular and strong Reply with quote

jorge wrote:

Fine,but you still have the problem of house system. If like Hand says MC is just a point,not a an house cusp, then if I have pisces in 10 ,MC in aquarius and planets in in it, they should be cadent regardless of being close to MC no?
Were you reffering to WS houses?


I've not introduced considerations of whole signs versus quadrant signs because your own premise similarly did not mention them.

If you wish to know about the sectors versus the houses, then you have some ideas put forth here by PFN and myself. If you now want to change tack and move onto problems that may arise from competing house systems, fine, but don't be surprised if people aren't as impressed and choose to not bite.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Nativities & General Astrology All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
. Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

       
Contact Deborah Houlding  | terms and conditions  
All rights on all text and images reserved. Reproduction by any means is not permitted without the express
agreement of Deborah Houlding or in the case of articles by guest astrologers, the copyright owner indictated