The Life & Work of Vettius Valens
by Deborah Houlding
Can assassinations be prevented? by Elsbeth Ebertin
translated by Jenn Zahrt PhD
A Guide to Interpreting The Great American Eclipse
by Wade Caves
The Astrology of Depression
by Judith Hill
Understanding the zodiac: and why there really ARE 12 signs of the zodiac, not 13
by Deborah Houlding

Skyscript Astrology Forum

Aquarius not so individualistic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Nativities & General Astrology
View previous topic :: View next topic  
###

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

. . .

Last edited by ### on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:21 am; edited 2 times in total
###

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

. . .

Last edited by ### on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:13 am; edited 2 times in total
###

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

. . .

Last edited by ### on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Donna Chang

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirk,
A nice series of posts capturing the shift to modern characterizations of aquarius, thanks.

Whenever I try a psychological approach to aquarius I think of Rip Torn and Nick Nolte's mug shots. Then I start laughing.
james_m

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got to be careful what one says or the local god might show up and say " I'm locking the thread..."" forget about conversation.. it freaks some folks out!!!

i was going to write a longer post, but until the dynamic on this website changes, i won't bother...

kirk, i like how you keep knocking down those straw men!

try knocking this one down while you are at it..

quote from "on the heavenly spheres, a treatise on traditional astrology", by helena avlar and luis ribeiro.

page 49
"aquarius ; masculine, diurnal, of air, sanguine ( hot and moist), fixed or solid, ruled by saturn.. the fixed air associates the fluid and dynamic characteristics with constancy and perseverance, giving rise to an expression that is distant, individualistic, and with a great tendency toward abstraction."

i never cared much for stephen forrests approach to astrology, but he does have mercury/mars in aquarius and is entitled to his opinions.

the guy who wrote the song 'i gotta be me' was a guy named walter marks.. the song was originally called 'i got to be me' but sammy davis jr with aries rising was going to make it his own,lol... walter marks birthdate is jan 15 1934 - and he does indeed have a few important placements in aquarius - saturn/mars conjunct, just like sammy davis jr, except sammy had the saturn/mars conjunction in scorpio..

i think folks have to arrive at an understanding of aquarius in their own way and one can't be guided only by books. same thing with the planet uranus, but at least one won't have to read about any of that in a trad astro book...
###

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

. . .

Last edited by ### on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
james_m

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirk, i like your image.. it reminds me of the moderator who will remain un-named.. i suspect that is exactly what they do too! shutting down threads is all they have!!

i think anyone can have an opinion on the nature of a sign or planet.. that is really all one is going to read in the astrology field as i see it.. opinions.. nothing is ever substantiated and to my own thinking has to be taken as a whole, as opposed to in pieces.. these cookbooks are fun to kick around, but that is all they are.. they are meant as a guide, and perhaps some of them are really lousy guides too.. folks have to figure out what is what for themselves as i see it. life is a contradictory mess of things for the most part.. astrology tries to make sense of it, but then so does religion and see how that typically works out, lol.. not all insight is equal.. i like knocking down straw men and making things up too, so we share that in common..
james_m

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i always enjoyed the book 'a handbook for the humanistic astrologer' by michael r. meyer.. it too is like a cookbook, but i remember reading this back in the 70's and still find it relevant. here is what he says about aquarius page 61.

quality : fixed/air
principle : social expression
process : exteriorization of social position
purpose : response to social need

concrete meaning : science, music and genius. political movements and revolutions. humanitarianism, group and collective ideals.

abstract meaning : the ability to creat and express in social or collective terms. personal insecurity.

cyclic meaning : the individual is now a complete social entity, though his own sense of individuality has been sacrificed in the process.

15 degree aquarius : the release of power and purpose of social need.

in emphasis : a need to be independent of social and cultural support.

human anatomy : the legs and ankles. "

maybe someone will get something from me sharing this.. on the other hand, maybe one has to read the whole book in order to fully appreciate it.
###

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

. . .

Last edited by ### on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:09 am; edited 2 times in total
james_m

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i took a look at a few trad books to see what i could find on aquarius, which might help you out.
this from rhetorius the egyptian, page 8 holden translation. it is not much but all i could find..

"signs harmful to the eyes"
the signs harmful to the eyes are taurus, because of the pleiades; cancer because of the nebula; scorpio, because of the sting;sagittarius, because of the point; capricorn, because of the thorn; aquarius, because of the pitcher; and also leo in part. and you will find out about these things in more detail further on."
###

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

. . .

Last edited by ### on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:09 am; edited 2 times in total
###

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

. . .

Last edited by ### on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total
james_m

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirk,

i tend to think in cyclic terms.. if one thinks of any cycle of a planet thru the zodiac as symbolizing a process of growth, from the personal to the social and back( aries start point for this analogy), every step of the cycle holds the seeds for the future and as well as a need to let go of the past. dependence gives way to inter-dependence, and eventually independence, and back.. you see this in the life of a person born as a baby and completely depend on support from others, to the very old who increasingly have to rely on others.. that is a cycle that i think many people can picture.. i think these images can be used to better understand the zodiac too.

i don't have a direct answer to your question other then to quote from tao teh ching which i think also sheds light on the nature of cycles..
when all the world recognizes beauty as beauty, this in itself is ugliness. when all the world recognizes good as good, this in itself is evil. indeed the hidden and the manifest give birth to each other.

ps - i tend to never use cookbooks!
###

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

. . .

Last edited by ### on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total
james_m

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol!

take whatever imagery you can use and ignore any you can't.. if you find some semblance of meaning in any of it that is useful - great! no parallel is going to suit all the nuances of the zodiac or any other cycle perfectly..

as for using aries as the start point and the sociability of aries, i would say sun in aries generally don't give much concern to socializing, but more doing their own thing. other factors in a chart can change all this, but it is my quick take on sun in aries which i happen to be based on my date of birth..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Nativities & General Astrology All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: