Epsom Derby 2012

The greatest of the English classic horse races is on Saturday 2 June 2012 at 16:00 BST, Epsom (51N19 0W15)

ASC 18LI30, L1 VE Rx at 17GE52 trine the ascendant., conjunct ME 19GE59 and -150- MO 16SC26. The Campanus H5 cusp is at 20AQ06, just separating from Mercury.

The odds-on favourite is Camelot, colours purple and white. There is no doubt that, on form, this is a very strong contender, but I would associate purple (and Camelot) with Jupiter, which is weak in the 8th and in Taurus. Jupiter is also not strongly aspected. So I rule Camelot out as a value bet.

There seem to be three possibilities for at least a place.

Thought Worthy links into L1 (VE) conjunct Mercury in Gemini and the 9th. Colours are white with a green hoop: Moon aspecting the chart ruler Venus. As a 14/1 chance, this seems a good value each way bet.

Cavaleiro (a Portuguese name which comes from the same root as cavalry and means rider or horseman) runs in mauve shirt with purple sleeves. If we associate mauve with Jupiter, then not a contender, but if we think (as I do) that it relates more to the soft colours of the chart ruler Venus, then it might be possible. It links to the Mars (horsemen)-Venus square. It is very much an outsider in the betting, so perhaps a place only bet on the Tote?

The final possibility, again picking-up the Mars-Venus square, is Bonfire. Running in light blue with dark blue flashes (Venus and Saturn rising) it fits the chart. This is a much more serious horse, currently at 4/1 and might be a real challenger to Camelot.

So, I will be going for Bonfire to win, Cavaleiro for a place only, and Thought Worthy either as an each way bet or again as a place only Tote bet if I'm feeling cautious :D