compiled by D. Houlding
Book II of Carmen Astrologicum by Dorotheus
translated by David Pingree
Compiled by Deborah Houlding
The Babylonian Astrolabe: the Calendar of Creation, by Rumen K. Kolev
Reviewed by Gill Zukovskis

Skyscript Astrology Forum

Foundational Chart for Baghdad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Mundane Astrology & World Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Foundational Chart for Baghdad Reply with quote

Here is an an interesting piece from Nina Gryphon's website which displays the elected chart for the foundation of Baghdad city. The chart time is the one presented by James Holden in his A History of Horoscopic Astrology.

http://gryphonastrology.com/electionalastrologybaghdad.html

It will be interesting to check this chart against later historical developments. Nina quite rightly points out it seems rather counter-intutive to have Mars in the 7th opposing the ascendant. As she comments:

Quote:
However, Mars in the seventh house ensures that Baghdad's swords and weapons will be forever drawn and pointing in the direction of the enemy. This is not a placement one would have chosen for a peaceful and uneventful reign. Perhaps the astrologers considered that war was inevitable, and at least wanted to make sure that the city always had the advantage.

One obvious later historical episode that occurs is the siege, and sacking of the city by the Mongols in 1258.

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Estimates of the number of inhabitants massacred during the invasion range from 100,000 to 1,000,000. The city was sacked and burned. Even the libraries of Baghdad, including the House of Wisdom, were not safe from the attacks of the Ilkhanate forces, who totally destroyed the libraries and used the invaluable books to make a passage across Tigris River[citation needed]. As a result, Baghdad remained depopulated and in ruins for several centuries, and the event is widely regarded as the end of the Islamic Golden Age

Below I have put the chart for the foundation of the city in 762 CE in the inner wheel of a bi-wheel while the chart for the sacking is on the outer wheel. Note: I dont know the exact time the siege ended on February 10th 1058 CE and the sacking began. I have chosen to align the ASC/DESC axis in both charts with the time chosen.

Houses: It seems likely the Persian and Arab astrologers involved in the election of this chart would have been using both Whole sign and Porphyry houses. I have displayed the latter system here as I know most members here utilise quadrant houses.

Zodiac: I have seen some evidence the Persian and early Arab astrologers were using a sidereal zodiac. This would require a slightly different time to get the configuration of angles we have here. The issue is more fundamental if we consider planetary positions. My main concern here though is just to highlight this as an early example of an elected chart. Equally, the transits are operative regardless of zodiac.

Outer Planets: I have decided to display them here although they would obviously not have been known to the Persian and Arab astrologers. The outer planet transits seem quite dramatic here.

Transits: (1 degree orb)

Tr Pluto square radix Pluto
Tr Uranus conj radix Pluto
Tr Neptune conj radix Saturn
Tr Saturn SQ radix Sun
Tr Mars Sq radix Sun
Tr Mercury (lord 7) square Mars

Mark

Epictetus

Last edited by Mark on Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
james_m

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi mark,

it is a really interesting chart with 3 planets getting ready to go direct - mercury, jupiter and pluto.. the ruler of the 7th is on the south node while mars also comes under it's rule.. the start of the iraq war march 20 2003 has the jupiter/neptune opposition sitting at foundation chart sun, while t pluto is 1 degree off a square to the midheaven.. the exact mercury-neptune 45 in the iraq war chart is siting directly on the jupiter/neptune midpoint in the foundation chart as well.. a lot of dreams that didn't amount to a hill of beans for the people of iraq and around the world.. thanks for sharing that..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Mundane Astrology & World Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: