I'd say it is harder to mantain objectivity when you're involved in the matter under scrutiny, but otherwise, I consider every horary to be readable, just not always we are able to fully (or partially) comprehend it as individuals...
Paulo Felipe Noronha

I think most of us probably agree that a late degree ascendant is generally significant to the matter at hand. It suggests that the matter has already concluded (already has an outcome, whether or not you know what it is), or it is too late, meaning there is not much that can be done about the matter (it is out of the querent's control), etc. I think Anthony Louis has a chart in his book with a late ascendant that involves a woman who is pregnant with a baby that has died in the womb. The woman asked about the health of the child but the child was already deceased. That is just one example, but I think it captures the general idea of it. Early ascendants tend to represent nascent matters, meaning everything is very new and undecided, whereas late ascendants are likely things that are concluding or have concluded, basically. If someone repeats a question, however, or seeks another means of divination (tarot, etc.) or is in some way testing an astrologer, you may also see early or late ascendants.