Turkish Earthquake

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/ ... sb0006bqc/

Many hundreds of people are feared dead after a powerful earthquake hit eastern Turkey, destroying scores of buildings and leaving many victims trapped in the rubble.

Scientists from Turkey's Kandilli earthquake institute said that up to 1,000 people may have lost their lives given the force of the 7.2-magnitude quake, which struck at 1.41pm local time (11.41am BST), and given the often shoddy construction standards in the mountainous area near Turkey's border with Iran.

The US Geological Survey said last night an aftershock of magnitude 6.1 also struck the area. The Turkish prime minister, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, visited the area and said 138 people were confirmed dead in the towns of Van and Ercis.

In Ercis, a town of about 75,000 people, up to 80 buildings collapsed, including a student dormitory, and hospitals reported receiving about 1,000 casualties. In Van, at least 10 buildings were razed. TV footage showed distraught relatives waiting by a collapsed eight-storey building which had shops on the ground floor.

The epicentre of the first quake was a village about 15 miles north of Van, the Kandilli institute said.

In the absence of rescue teams, many people were searching for survivors themselves, shifting rubble with iron bars or their bare hands. The quake brought down many power lines, further hampering efforts.
The quake was also felt in Yerevan, the capital of Armenia, and several Iranian towns close to the border, but there were no reports of injuries or damage.

Earthquakes are common in Turkey, which is crossed by a number of geological faultlines. The most significant one in recent years struck the western city of Izmit in 1999. The official death toll was 17,000, although some reports suggested the real figure was significantly higher. Poorly built housing was blamed for many deaths, and tens of thousands more people were left homeless as other buildings were damaged beyond repair.

Source: BBC News, The Guardian.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15421633

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/oc ... eared-dead

Event Chart
Pre-Lunation Chart
Aries Ingress
Libra Ingress
Edited Post: Original event chart was incorrect due to wrong local time. This has now been corrected.
Last edited by Mark on Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

I was surprised when I saw Marks chart so I checked on the internet to make sure found Noel Tyls site had mentioned it only to find that someone over there was using the same chart as Marks.

Sometimes I think I'm going out of my mind! :shock:

MIDPOINTS

Uranus opp = Moon / Saturn 0? 8'46"
Uranus conj = Jupiter / Neptune 0?36' 5"
(it should be added that the close JU/PL trine would add force to this configuration).

Uranus lingering around 0-5 Aries would magnify the effects of UR/PL square.

Graph showing EQ activity 1990-mid 2011

[/img]
Mad Daz's Place, quiet but never boring
http://pinkmelon.proboards82.com/index.cgi

I was surprised when I saw Marks chart so I checked on the internet to make sure found Noel Tyls site had mentioned it only to find that someone over there was using the same chart as Marks.

:shock:

Well I guess the lesson here is if in doubt cast the chart yourself. Mistakes are bound to happen from time to time. I did provide the link to the USGS website at the very start of thread. I always put this up so people can check times for earthquakes/Volcanoes themselves.

The problem was the local time on the chart being set for a different local time setting for Turkey on my software (solar fire). I should have stuck to my usual practice of displaying all such charts in GMT/UT!

Its reassuring some people are actually reading these posts though! Sometimes it feels like you are talking to yourself here so its good to hear others are out there even if they only post to point out the odd mistake. :) It is important any data displayed here is accurate so its important that members remain vigilant.

I have updated the post above and repeat the event chart for the earthquake here:
Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

How much more powerful was the second earthquake than the first one? intensity of an earthquake is rated using the Richter scale. Richter scale rating of an earthquake of intensity x is given by R = log x/10 x0 where x0 is the intensity of an earthquake of a certain small size, 4.8. Earthquake A had a Richter scale rating of 6.4, and earthquake B had a rating of 7.2. How much more powerful was the 2nd earthquake than the first one?