Good sources of information on Indian astrology

Please use this thread to make your recommendations of books or other sources of information on this topic (ie, YouTube videos, links or blogs). Please try to give some information on why the book or resource is useful, whether it takes a specific focus or covers a certain approach, and whether it is aimed at beginners or advanced students, etc.

Jyotish Books I like

Well Mr K.N. Rao's books are interesting. But the one that I like is of recent printing and that is not by Rao. Its called "Advanced Techniques of Predictive Astrology" in 2 volumes by Vishnu Bhaskar from Alpha Pubs in Delhi. The other book is on Muhurta or timing. It's called "Hindu Electional Astrology" by V.K. Shridhar. Both of these books are intermediate to advanced reading. The first set covers Parashara, Jaimini, Varshaphal, Gochara, a lot of the Chakra Methods are also well-covered as are Meteorology and Mundane techniques. Then there is Parashara Hora Shastra in 2 volumes. The Jaimini Sutras themselves and Manteswara's Phaladeepeeka. Good Western written books are "Ayurvedic Astrology" by David Frawley, "Light on Life" by Hart deFouw and Robert Svoboda, Ernst Wilhelm has an e-book on Muhurta which is a good introduction to timing and the Hindu Calendar system. By the way if anyone is looking for an introduction to the science of Swar its in V.K. Shridhar's book on Muhurta. Swar, by the way is the Hindu Science of Breath timing. You could say that in ancient yogic researches they discovered how to use the breath to calculate time. There are many other books but these are some of my more recent purchases. Saptarishi Astrology online bookstore for some of the more recent published books and Astrology Centre of America for the earlier published titles. Of course you can go trolling for books on Amazon or e-Bay but that is up to you. Om Sri Ganapati Ki Jai!
Join the stream of Universal Life!

namaste all

i have been studying sideral astrology specially vedic system for last 6 years and provide vedic readings in some forum. i can provide a list of book if you are interested to discover the philosophy being it

KN Rao a vedic astrologer who has a school of vedic courses in new delhi, his students like me provide research on various techniques

Light of Life Hart De Fouw

Brihat Parashara Hora, Maharshi Jaimini, PS Shastri

BV Raman

depending on which system and techniques you follow i will be able to provide link or information to assist you

www.journalofastrology.com
www.lightonvedicastrology.com
www.astrocom/vedic forum, advanced vedic students providing knowledge and learning free

There is a mass of information on Indian (aka Jyotish, Vedic, Hindu) astrology on the web. However, finding information on more traditional texts can be more difficult. Its often hard to know what is modern innovation and what is authentic traditional Indian astrology.

I recently stumbled on this site and it has an excellent collection of articles and downloads of Indian astrological classics. Registration is free.

I think it will be of interest to Skyscript members wanting to go into greater depth with their study of classical Indian astrology.

http://www.ancientindianastrology.com/cmsa/

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

Vedic Astrology and Classical Texts

Vedic Astrology is one of the oldest tradition followed in India which shows great influence on Mundane, Natal and also day to day activities. Vedic Astrology is Compromise two basic divisions:
1. Astronomy i.e Ganit Khand- responsible for mathematical calculations of different Planets etc. Famous Book is Surya Siddhanta, Brhita Samhita etc.
2. Phalit Jyotish: It deals with Nativity, Mundane, Horary & Election etc, with each having special branches. Some famous books for Briht Parashara Hora Shastra, PhalDeepika, Jatak Parijata, Maansagri, Hora Ratanam.

Phalit Jyoitsh has further many branches like Parashari, Jaimini, Nadi, Lal Kitab, KP etc.