Search
View memberlist
View/edit your user profile
Recent additions:
Book III of Carmen Astrologicum by Dorotheus
translated by David Pingree
Notes on Dorotheus III: the haylāj, Kadhkhudāh, and terms of life
by Deborah Houlding
Godfather of Modernity: The Alan Leo Legacy Vol. One - Early Astrological Journals 1890-1912, compiled by Philip M Graves
Reviewed by Deborah Houlding
Lilly's Considerations
compiled by D. Houlding

Skyscript Astrology Forum

Paths of the Fathers and the Devas

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gavin

Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Paths of the Fathers and the Devas Reply with quote

Can anyone throw some light on the Paths of the Fathers (pitris) and the Paths of the Gods? The main source I know of is the Bhavagad Gita Chapter VIII verses 24 & 25.
24. Those who know the Supreme attain that by passing away from the world during the influence of the fiery god, in the light, at an auspicious moment of the day, during the fortnight of the waxing moon, or during the six months when the sun travels north.
25. The mystic who passes away from this world during the smoke, the night, the fortnight of the waning moon, or the six months when the sun passes to the south, he reaches the moon but again comes back.

I seem to remember that there were two traditions of dating the solar paths - one from solstice to solstice the other from equinox to equinox. Any references or pointers would be of great help. Thank you.
Martin Gansten

Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Paths of the Fathers and the Devas Reply with quote

gavin wrote:
Can anyone throw some light on the Paths of the Fathers (pitris) and the Paths of the Gods?

As this is not really an astrology-related question I wouldn't encourage too much discussion of it here, but the idea derives from the Upaniṣads (some of which add a third path: the path of men, meaning rebirth). You may want to look at Bṛhadāraṇyaka 6.2.15–16; Chāndogya 5.10.1–8; Kauṣītaki 1.2; Praśna 1.9–10, 5.3–5.

Quote:
I seem to remember that there were two traditions of dating the solar paths - one from solstice to solstice the other from equinox to equinox.

I have never heard of that. The ayana or half-year is normally reckoned from solstice to solstice.
varuna2

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delete

Last edited by varuna2 on Sat May 04, 2013 6:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Indian and Asian astrology All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: