Sunrise charts of the two uppermost favourites:

Sweden - Loreen

Janis associated Euphoria with Jupiter conjunct the fixed star Algol. It's easy to see why...
Source: Wikipedia

Natal chart shows Sun in Libra and the Moon in Aquarius.

Sunrise chart

Italy - Nina Zilli

Many may feel more inclined to fall for Italian charm?
Source: Wikipedia

Sun in Aquarius, Moon in Leo. Check those ear rings!
I recall reading somewhere that Aquarius had large earlobes! :shock:

Sunrise chart
Could transit Moon in Leo on the night of the contest give Italy an extra push?
http://www.astronor.com

Euphoria is in the top 10 of many music charts at the moment. Since the Eurovision Song Contest is a popular contest, it's hard to see how this song can avoid wining with it's current popularity. There is no other competing song even close in the charts..

The Moon's closest applying aspect in the chart for the contest is it's quintile to exalted and elevated Saturn in Libra. This planet is also close the natal Sun of the artist Loreen in the 23rd degree of Libra. Venus recently made her station at 23GE59 and casts a trine. Loreen's Moon in Aquarius would prove her a worthy representative of the Aquarius nation Sweden. Her Sunrise Moon is in the degree of the nodes by sextile and also sextile the exaltation degree of the Sun. Jupiter at 26TA19 conjunct Algol on the night of the final will cast it's antiscia to 3LE41, which is conjunct the MC at 3LE11 in the sunrise chart of the artist.

The Sun of the artist is close to the exaltation degree of Saturn. I would probably have felt more comfortable with the song if Jupiter's joining with Algol was more in the forground of a chart. This isn't my type of music, honestly, but I asked my 15 year old daughter and she said it was OK. :???:

Euphoria is in the top 10 of many music charts at the moment. Since the Eurovision Song Contest is a popular contest, it's hard to see how this song can avoid wining with it's current popularity. There is no other competing song even close in the charts..
Where did you unearth that Euphoria is in the top 10 of many music charts at the moment? I was looking through some and did not even find a reference to it.

There are some good testimonies which may support Sweden's entry winning but, in my opinion, the counter-testimonies are more persuasive. Correlations between her sunrise chart and the event do not convince me, for they mainly involve negative reception which is usually a "no" testimony.

The lyrics of Euphoria is better than I assumed;

Why, why can?t this moment last forevermore?
Tonight, tonight eternity?s an open door?
No, don?t ever stop doing the things you do.
Don?t go, in every breath I take I?m breathing you?

Euphoria - Forever, ?till the end of time
From now on, only you and I
We?re going up-up-up-up-up-up-up

Euphoria - An everlasting piece of art
A beating love within my heart

We are here, we?re all alone in our own Universe,
We are free, where everything?s allowed and love comes first,
Forever and ever together, we sail into infinity,
We?re higher and higher and higher,
we?re reaching for divinity.

Forever we sail into infinity, We?re higher, we?re reaching for divinity?
Euphoria, euphoria

In the moment of the when the final kicks off, the Moon in Leo relates to the Beating of the Heart. There is a compromise with Lucifer through the quintile with exalted Saturn. The YOD to Chiron and Pluto may be compared with an opening of doors with the higher worlds.

I still have to confess that there are things about the image of the artist and the presentation that I do not understand, but if the younger generation will embrace the lyrics - that's OK with me. :)

Eurovision 2012

I have been using astrology to predict Eurovision for several years, and have followed this forum with interest. The method I use is to look for an astrological resonance with the chart of the country and singers with the date of the event. I also factor in popularity in the polls and betting odds. As a rule of thumb, the winning country should be in the top ten (of odds and polls).

I think it can be easy to get overcomplicated and miss the obvious e.g. last year the angular sun in the 7th house predicted a couple, but somehow I missed that, as did many people. In other years I have been more successful. This year, there are two key features that stick out for me. Mercury is dispositor of both sun and moon, but is combust. Ultimately I think that identifies a mercurial theme, or possibly someone singing in a language other than English, who is not understood by most of the audience. It might also indicate technical problems in the transmission from Baku. Equally significant is venus retrograde, given that a song contest is a venusian event. Venus has only been retrograde once in the history of the competition. This was in 1969 when there were 4 winners, because there were no rules in the event of a tie. This proved to be very embarrassing for the organisers. Now the rules enable a winner to be chosen, but it could be an extremely close contest, with more than one contestant receiving the same score and one of them winning on a technicality such as the number of countries that voted for them.

The fact that mars rules the MC and venus is retrograde indicates to me that it is unlikely to be a female soloist. The moon may be angular, but it is not sufficiently so. I have found several countries and perfomers with mercury combust including Germany. Standing Still seems an apt description for a frustrated mercury. Norway has a similar theme in Stay and the singer has his birthday on the date of the competition. Venus retrograde is more rare and I have found one country, Estonia, with this. The title ?Listen? is appropriate, it is sung in Estonian and the singer has Jupiter on his sun at the time of the contest suggesting he will get a fortunate place in the running order. He was also selected when Mars was at the same degree as it will be on the date of the contest. Despite all these indicators, Estonia is too low down in polls and betting odds to be a winner, but is likely to do much better than expected.

In my view the country to watch is Iceland. The theme ?Never Forget? is suitable. It combines both the mercury theme and a venus retrograde looking back on the past. The two singers between them have a good resonance with the event. Greta has both sun combust mercury and venus retrograde natally. Jonsi has Sun conjunct Jupiter in Gemini, close to the sun of the contest. The Iceland chart has a stellium in Gemini with both mercury and venus closely conjunct the mercury and venus in the contest chart. Iceland also has several planets in Leo including Jupiter. The moon in Taurus is in the same sign as Jupiter in the competition chart. Finally in terms of the overall theme, Iceland seems to have the right elemental balance i.e. a certain detachment or distance (air) combined with drama (fire). There is very little water in the event chart, so I don?t think the winning song will be too emotional or gushy. One further point to make is not to underestimate technical skill which is suggested by mars in virgo. The jury has half the votes and they are measuring this. Playing an instrument always goes down well and the violin gives Greta a further edge.

Congratulations upon your first post, Fixed Star, and welcome. :'
I think it can be easy to get overcomplicated and miss the obvious e.g. last year the angular sun in the 7th house predicted a couple, but somehow I missed that, as did many people. In other years I have been more successful. This year, there are two key features that stick out for me. Mercury is dispositor of both sun and moon, but is combust. Ultimately I think that identifies a mercurial theme, or possibly someone singing in a language other than English, who is not understood by most of the audience. It might also indicate technical problems in the transmission from Baku.
Interesting. I also noticed that Mercury was in the degree of the Moon's South Node. This could indicate techincal problems - but there have also been some political issues this year involving how the locals (Mercury) were treated in conjunction with the arrangement.
Equally significant is venus retrograde, given that a song contest is a venusian event. Venus has only been retrograde once in the history of the competition. This was in 1969 when there were 4 winners, because there were no rules in the event of a tie. This proved to be very embarrassing for the organisers.
Very interesting indeed. There could be some embarrassment for the organisers. :) :'
Image: VG

There was embarrassment in Oslo in 2010, too, when Jimmy Jump entered the stage and took part in the Spanish entry. :-?

I am adding all your interesting comments on various songs to the pot of observations. I changed my mind regarding my personal bet, though. Although I thought the chart liked France, the lyrics of Euphoria were too interesting in view of the Pluto, Chiron, - Moon in Leo quintile Saturn configuration. So I gave in for the favourite. Time will tell. It's just a show!
Last edited by Andrew Bevan on Thu May 24, 2012 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

After watching live Cyprus' song yesterday, I think that's where I'll put my bets on afterall :'

- the singer is young & the song talks about love in a cheerful way (moon in leo disposed by sun in gemini)
- her sex-appeal is of mercurian nature (slim & not provocative)
- her performing along with girl dancers resembles girl virgin teenagers waiting for love to come.. (venus in gemini+MC ruler in virgo)

*singer Ivi Adamou has natal Sun 02Sag26 conj NN 03sag03, which will be both conj by transit NN 05Sag04

As FixedStar also suggested, it's also interesting to see that Cyprus' chart (16 Aug 1960) has Sun in Leo, Moon in Gemini & Venus in Virgo, all of them activated on May 26th. I think it does look promising :brows

Goca wrote:Althought bookmakers give Serbian singer Zeljko Joksimovic a great chance for winning I think he will not enter final. I asked this question:

Will Zeljko Joksimovic enter final of Eurosong 2012?
Chart data: 28 .Apr.2012 Beograd gmt+2 ASC=18Leo23
With fixed signs on all four angles, we have an immediate indication that the situation will stay as it is. As I am not his fan, he gets 7 house ruler Sa rx. This is not a good start. With rx ruler things may not turn out as planned. Rx means go backwards not advance. Moon is VOC. Moon are voters and Moon is in detriment of Sa rx, this shows a distinct lack of interest in him/his song. Enter final is 10th house matter, ruler is Ve. We need aspect between Sa and Ve, we have it but Me first aspect Sa, that is frustration and No answer to my question.

If someone think different please post your analyse.
On my great surprise, he entered final! :o
Greetings,
Goca
http://www.astrosport07.webs.com
http://fensi88.livejournal.com/

Goca wrote:So, who will be the winner?
"Regard the planets as standing still, then move the MC forward until it forms a major aspect with one of the planets. The sign in which this planet falls will give the winning country; the planet itself shows the song."(Frawley)
Here first aspected planet is Ma in Vi. According to titles of songs I think song "We Are The Heroes" will be winner. Title fit with planet Ma, Ma is in Vi fits with Belarus country (Belarus declared independence on 25 August 1991). Dispositor of Ma is Me, band (more people) "Litesound" perform it. Me is in 5 house so that is North by West direction, fits with Belarus position from Azerbaijan.
It seams all fits only in my head :-sk .
Greetings,
Goca
http://www.astrosport07.webs.com
http://fensi88.livejournal.com/

Once we know all finalists, I think I would come out with my second thoughts.

A day before the final Sweden is a strong favourite to win outright at odds 2.25. Russia comes second at 6.00, with Serbia and Italy following at 8.00 and 9.00 respectively.

Last year the French opera singer was a strong favourite to win outright at odds 2.50, but he failed to reach even top 10. So the bookies not always do manage to hit the point.

Astrological considerations:

1. If it were a soccer game, I would say that the type of non-agreement we have here amongst the rising sign, its lord and the lord of hour, with the latter being aversion to the rising sign and about to shift and both being disposed by a retrograde out-of-sect Venus, implies a draw. Perhaps, here it could import a very close contest with a very few votes deciding who will be the winner. As a rule, the lord of hour having descension or detriment in the ascending sign does not do well (with a few exceptions) for the favourites. Last year we had Scorpio rising with Venus ruling the hour (perhaps, it matters little, for in Europe at 21:00 o?clock we are customarily having Scorpio rising with Venus ruling the hour).

2. It is the first time when the customarily rising Scorpio culminates on Midheaven. It, in my opinion, is an important consideration to be watched out. I think it might be an indication for a Scorpio-ruled country.

3. The chart has almost all planets (including the luminaries) in the Western hemisphere, the West ? North quadrant being the weightiest containing the Sun, the natural ruler of glory and triumph, and Mercury, the final dispositor of all the planets. This might indicate that the winner will be from the West.

4. As I pointed out Mercury is the final dispositor of all the planets and the almuten of the chart (house and triplicity). He is also the lord of the annular eclipse. He must be playing a very significant role in the chart. He is scorched by the Sun and conjunct South Node. The Sun is a natural ruler for glory and triumph playing also the role of the dispositor of vote ? the Moon, whereas the South Node exalts in Gemini, but I have neither used exaltation or fall of the Nodes nor seen others do. If it were a soccer game, I wouldn?t say that a Mercury-ruled team is bound to lose. My concern is about Mercury?s lordship over the annular eclipse. I am out of wits here, whether it will be a testimony for a Mercury- ruled country or will ruin any hopes for a Mercury ruled country. My thesis is that a country should have been affected (for bad or worse depending on other factors) if an eclipse happens to be in any of the stakes of the sign (1st, 4th, 7th and 10th) taking lordship over the relevant country, the strongest effect being in the same sign. If we follow that concept, the eclipse must affect the countries ruled by Mercury and Jupiter.

5. I would note that first aspect the Moon made coming out of the eclipse was a sinister square to Mars, the ruler of MC in the contest chart. Could it be a testimony for a Scorpio ? ruled country or not, we shall see. I cannot quote the source at the moment, but the Moon?s first aspect in a new synodic cycle to a malefic (in particular without reception) is not considered good. Perhaps, it is a change for an underdog.

What astrological indications do we have for support of particular countries?

Sweden

Sweden is believed to be under the lordship of Aquarius.

Saturn is prominent in this chart ? having lordship over Capricorn ASC, placed in Libra, the sign of his exaltation, and the 10th from ASC. Saturn is well received (triplicity) by Mercury, the almuten of the chart and the lord of the eclipse. If it were a soccer chart, I would say that there are enough strong testimonies (despite some contrary ones) for Saturn to win.

Jupiter, the lord of hour is conjunct Algol, a star notorious for turning heads in all senses of the word. It fits Euphoria, the Sweden?s entry. Jupiter is in Taurus, a stake of Aquarius. It is always good to have a benefic in a stake.

The Moon (popular vote) is in Leo, the opposite sign of Aquarius. The Moon has just separated from the Sun (the favourite) and applying to Venus (the dispositor of Saturn) and Saturn; had the translation not been from Leo, the detriment of Saturn, this would have been a strong testimony for Sweden.

Venus has just separated from Saturn. Separation means a disregard, abandonment, lack of interest, etc. of the separating planet in whatever is signified by the planet from who it has separated, more the worse for the relevant planet if its dispositor has separated.

If we apply the method that all planets stand still but Midheaven moves forward until it reaches a major aspect with a planet, then the aspecting planet itself is the winning entry but the sign containing it is the winning country, the winning song is Mars in Virgo. If the method is valid to a certain point (for the confirmation of which more testing is required), there are no testimonies for the Sweden?s entry. The lyrics and the song itself do not seem to have any in common with a Virgo Mars.

All considered I am not sure that Sweden would win. In my opinion, the strongest ?no? testimony is the Moon in Leo. Gemini (a double - bodied sign) being the most crowded sign, in my opinion, seems to be a testimony for a group or a duo rather than a single singer.

Russia

Russia is also believed to be under the lordship of Aquarius.

A retrograde Saturn (grannies) being disposed by a retrograde Venus in Gemini, a double ? bodied sign, might be a testimony for the Russian grannies. Venus is on the cusp of the 6th house (also in the 6th sign from ASC), traditionally associated with the decline of life.

Having separated from the Sun (associated with the prime of life), the Moon applies to a retrograde Venus who disposes of Saturn (grannies). This is descriptive for the grannies, and I expect them doing well.

Russia might win, but a Leo Moon makes me a little bit sceptic about that.

Italy

Italy was my first option when I looked at the chart.

The Moon is in Leo which must be a strong testimony for Italy (a Leo ruled country), in particular considering that she is the sect luminary. She rules the seventh house which, among others, deals with love affairs, marriage and partnerships - relationships between man and woman in general. The Italian entry conforms to the subject. The Moon is in the tenth sign from the Scorpio - ruled Midheaven, which is a place of power according to Hellenistic and Arab tradition. She is in the South quarter (leaning to West) of the circle which geographically fits Italy.

If we apply the method according to which Mars in Virgo must be the winning entry, Italian?s entry might be one of the strongest candidates. Mars rules the 3rd and the 10th houses but the 4th and the 11th signs from the Capricorn ascendant, is himself placed in the 8th house but in the 9th sign from the ascendant. If we mix all stuff together, we can say that the lyrics of the entry mirror some of sort of associations Mars might have in the chart (his placement in the 8th being the strongest one). The Sun, the natural ruler of kings, ruling the 8th house also seems to be pretty descriptive for the lyrics:

?unbelievable,
I can?t wait to go
I like a rolling stone
you hit me BoomBoomBoom

if you were my king
would I be your queen?
stop breaking up my heart
you kill me BoomBoomBoom ??

If Italy is going to win, we should take into consideration also the Sun?s position. He does not aspect both the ascending and the culminating signs and is debilitated by being conjunct the South Node. He is receiving the Moon in his house, but unfortunately she is separating from her lord. Had the Moon been applying, I would say Italy will win. Separation, as I pointed out, is equal to a disregard, abandonment, loss of interest in whatever is signified by that planet. After separation, she is applying to Venus (by a sinister sextile) who disposes Saturn in Libra. It does not bode well for the Sun.

Ireland

Ireland has the 5th shortest odds ? 15.00. Actually, I wonder why? Although the guys are making some good show, the song itself fails to adhere. The chart seems not to support the Irish entry ?Waterline?, for there, with the exception of the Scorpio Midheaven, is no water here. A strongly emphasized Gemini seems not to be enough, solely because they are the only twins participating.

UK

Odds 15.00
I do not see any particular indications in the chart that UK may win.

Jupiter ruled countries

Spain and Serbia

Serbia has pretty good odds (8:00) to win outright, but I do not think that it will. The lyrics seem not to mirror anything which may import Mars in the chart.
Jupiter?s position in the chart is weak, and he is in bad reception with Mars (the lord of MC). Also the eclipse in Gemini (detriment) seems not to support a Jupiter ? ruled country.

There are many songs (Romania?s, Greece?s, Cyprus? and other entries) which might fit Mars in Virgo and the bunch of planets in Gemini which is on the cusp of the 5th house. As already pointed out, Mercury is the almuten of the chart (house and triplicity) and the lord of the eclipse. This might be an indication for a Mercury ? ruled country. Greece is the first strongest choice here. Mars, the ruler of the MC, is in Virgo, which might a strong testimony, but will it be enough? I am not sure about the effect of the eclipse in Gemini, the 10th sign from Virgo. Will it be good or bad, or will not affect the outcome at all?

If we judge after the lyrics, I am not satisfied that the lyrics well mirror the qualities Mars might have in Virgo. The ?Aphrodisiac? seems to have nothing in common with Virgo, the sign Mars is in. It seems to be the subject of the 5th house with Mercury and the Sun on its cusp. If the key is the symbolism of the 5th house in Gemini, then I think that the Cyprian entry ?LalalaLove? fits better. The ?LalalaLove? has more in common with Gemini than the ?Aphrodisiac?.

Virgo, the sign in which is Mars, is a sign associated with melancholy, serenity, pristineness, etc. the qualities which, in my opinion, has the Iceland?s entry ?Never forget?. Fixed Star already pointed to this entry as worth watching out.

Iceland is a country which Nick Campion lists under the lordship of Scorpio, the sign which culminates in the event chart. Iceland has a bunch of planets in Gemini which might be an additional indication. But currently I am trying to judge the chart more as a horary.

Mars in the event chart rules the 3rd and the 10th house but the 4th and the 11th signs from the Capricorn ascendant, is himself placed in the 8th house but in the 9th sign from the ascendant. The song, in my opinion, has the quality of Mars being placed in the 8th house (separation, detachment) and in the 9th sign (dreams) from the ascending sign.

In addition, the song, as Fixed Star pointed out, combines both the Mercury theme and a Venus retrograde looking back on the past, applying to conjunction. Venus has just separated from Saturn:

?She mourns beneath the moonlit sky
Remembering when they said goodbye
Where?s he one he used to know
It seems so long ago?

The Sun in the even chart is close to the nadir:

?And when the golden sun arises far across the sea
The dawn will break as darkness fades forever we?ll be free?

Gemini as a sign containing Venus and the Sun, both applying to each other and meeting Mars before the conjunction, seems also fit the overall picture, pointing to a male and female duo.

Mercury rules hands (so does Gemini) and playing an instrument might be descriptive also of this facet.

Gemini is a Western sign, placed in the West ? North quarter of the Chart. If we apply some analogy that the sign on the cusp of 4th and its lord has something to say where a lost or hidden thing could be, Venus in Gemini and on the cusp of the 6th points our direction to the West ? North. The Moon is in an Eastern sign (Leo) applying to Venus and Saturn in Western signs (Gemini and Libra respectively). The Moon rules the 7th house which is a destination point if we judge a travel horary. Cancer is due North.

What trouble me here are the odds. Iceland is ?quoted? at 51.00.

I would try luck with Iceland. After the event we shall see the ?obvious?.

:' :wink: