glossary horary quiz consultations links more

Read this before using the forum
Register
FAQ
Search
View memberlist
View/edit your user profile
Recent additions:
Godfather of Modernity: The Alan Leo Legacy Vol. One - Early Astrological Journals 1890-1912, compiled by Philip M Graves
Reviewed by Deborah Houlding
Lilly's Considerations
compiled by D. Houlding
Book II of Carmen Astrologicum by Dorotheus
translated by David Pingree
Compiled by Deborah Houlding
The Babylonian Astrolabe: the Calendar of Creation, by Rumen K. Kolev
Reviewed by Gill Zukovskis

Skyscript Astrology Forum

Cheers to Martin Gansten

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deb
Administrator

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Cheers to Martin Gansten Reply with quote

A while back I asked Martin Gansten if he would consider being moderator for the new sidereal and Indian/Asian astrology sections of the forum. At first I wasn't sure to ask because I know he is so busy, but I'm really pleased that he has accepted. Martin was an obvious choice for me - a siderealist himself, most of us would barely even notice this, since he has contributed so many helpful and informative comments to all astrologers, regardless of personal approaches or zodiac preferences. He is also a strong advocate for getting astrologers to recognise how the so called 'western tradition' has been impacted by Asian traditions. He has a good article about this on his website: Western v Vedic
This is something I also think is very important. The focus of interest in Greek astrology is great for what it is, but it's important to keep a sense of proportion and balance in our understanding of the history of astrology and development of techniques, recognising that the roots of the Medieival European tradition extend in many directions. Also, that some of the presumed cultural distinctions are less distinct than is often reported.

A few biographical details on Martin:

Dr Martin Gansten (to give him his proper title) has been studying traditional astrology for more than 20 years. He is also a historian of religion and divinatory traditions, and has been teaching at Lund University, Sweden, since 1998. He is is now Reader (docent).
He is a well-known Sanskritist and scholar of Indic religions and has made Swedish translations of the Bhagavadgītā and early Upaniṣads. His doctoral thesis was called Patterns of Destiny: Hindu Nāḍī Astrology - a South Indian form of astrological divination. He has also published a number of articles on Indian, Greek, Perso-Arabic and European astrology (I hope to present one on Skyscript soon). And of course, he is the author of Primary Directions: Astrology’s Old Master Technique. Thankfully for us Martin's interest in astrology is not purely academic. He is an active astrologer who gives personal consultations, presents lectures and workshops and also runs his own, very reasonably priced Diploma Course on Primary Directions. This is a course I want to take myself and I hope I can start it before the end of the year. That will be interesting - if I'm not sure of an answer I'll be tempted to post something incorrect on the forum and wait for Martin to correct me before submission Smile

All the moderators in this forum do a great job. It really could not continue without them. I'm so pleased that we have someone as well qualified as Martin to join us and keep a watchful eye over two of the new sections.

So to Martin - cheers, welcome aboard, and a big thank you from me Thumbs up
Astraea

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big cheer from me, too. Martin has been enormously helpful in my own astrological journey, and I am honored to know him through this forum. Best wishes, Martin!
Martin Gansten

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheers to Martin Gansten Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the kind words, both of you!
Mark

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news for Skyscript and those forum areas in particular. Thumbs up

Good luck in your new role as a moderator Martin.

Mark

Epictetus
james_m

Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks to everyone for trying to make this a great site.. martin was very helpful to me when i first came to this site..

Last edited by james_m on Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
fredericus

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second your message Deb... I also think you are doing a great job here on Skyscript.

"Fred"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> News, Notices, Books, Links All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: