Fascinated with Astrology

Hi , name is Rich and I'm a student from Brighton. I've always been really interested in how exactly astrology works. I found myself on your website looking for answers. It's really hard to find unbiased material on the subject in the web. Doing research online can also prove to be difficult. Astrology isn't exactly accepted among university students. That's why I came here :) I will lurk a bit and try to form a good opinion on astrology by myself :)

You may notice soon enough that no two astrologers really think exactly alike: we like to indulge ourselves with how we pick and choose our particular brand of astrology, taking a little here and a little from there. My reasoning is to follow that which appeals and sounds familiar or even sometimes sensible and or logical ... to instinctively graduate to that in a totally subjective way and ultimately become a unique hybrid :)

Exactly.

There is a lot of diversity in Astrology.
Unfortunately there is a lot of discord.

Steven Forrest even mentioned the Tower of Babel issue in Astrology.
Like him, I believe that there is on One True Astrology.

from 45 minutes into the video, he talks about that issue
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWN8kk1uVhM

I am very skeptical of zodiac signs and house systems.
A lot of astrologers disagree on which zodiac to use. Tropical zodiac astrologers will argue their case for why the tropical zodiac is valid and sidereal zodiac isn't. Sidereal zodiac astrologers will argue their case for why the sidereal zodiac is valid and and tropical zodiac isn't. It's the same thing with the house systems. It's the same thing with what aspects to use. It's the same thing with what objects to use in Astrology. Some astrologers will talk badly about other astrologers using minor planets like they are ignorant people. Some of those minor planet using astrologers actually contributed to the naming of some solar system objects like Nessus. They are actually an example of a bridge between Astrological community and Astronomical community. The astronomer Percy Seymour is example of a bridge between Astrological community and Astronomical community.

I focus only on Planetary Geometry, and so the way that I do Astrology is.
It is based on Cosmobiology,Uranian Astrology,and Magi Astrology which are all highly geometrical astrological systems.

to each, his/her own - That's my approach to Astrology.

I also think there is one true astrology and that a lot that is written and proposed is our feeble-minded attempts at getting there :) Working purely with geometry removes so much of the conjecture and Uranian astrology is something Id like to look into more.

Thank you for the link, I shall be sure to watch it.

Raymond Scott wrote:Exactly.

There is a lot of diversity in Astrology.
Unfortunately there is a lot of discord.

Steven Forrest even mentioned the Tower of Babel issue in Astrology.
Like him, I do not believe that there is on One True Astrology.

from 45 minutes into the video, he talks about that issue
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWN8kk1uVhM

I am very skeptical of zodiac signs and house systems.
A lot of astrologers disagree on which zodiac to use. Tropical zodiac astrologers will argue their case for why the tropical zodiac is valid and sidereal zodiac isn't. Sidereal zodiac astrologers will argue their case for why the sidereal zodiac is valid and and tropical zodiac isn't. It's the same thing with the house systems. It's the same thing with what aspects to use. It's the same thing with what objects to use in Astrology. Some astrologers will talk badly about other astrologers using minor planets like they are ignorant people. Some of those minor planet using astrologers actually contributed to the naming of some solar system objects like Nessus. They are actually an example of a bridge between Astrological community and Astronomical community. The astronomer Percy Seymour is example of a bridge between Astrological community and Astronomical community.

I focus only on Planetary Geometry, and so the way that I do Astrology is.
It is based on Cosmobiology,Uranian Astrology,and Magi Astrology which are all highly geometrical astrological systems.

to each, his/her own - That's my approach to Astrology.

jill elinore wrote:I also think there is one true astrology and that a lot that is written and proposed is our feeble-minded attempts at getting there :) Working purely with geometry removes so much of the conjecture and Uranian astrology is something Id like to look into more.

Thank you for the link, I shall be sure to watch it.

Jill........it was a mistake
I was being an idiot and left words out which I tend to do in my posts.
I actually have to go back and edit my posts because I leave words out (especially not for some reason) and type in the wrong word. I am a perfectionist in that way. Stuff like that makes me self conscious. I really need to pay more attention to my typing. Unfortunately, people can be judged by what they type. I can be like GWB with my speech. If I don't think my words carefully, I will say the wrong thing and feel stupid. That's why I tend to think my words carefully before I speak or write unless I am stressed and overwhelmed.

In my humble opinion,
There is no One True Astrology.
Steven Forrest even pointed that out and talked about diversity in astrological community that is not a bad thing.

I apologize for my mistake in words and to Steven Forrest.
I don't want to put him in a negative light because of my misuse of words.

I think that he's a wonderful astrologer in his open-mindedness.
I greatly respect and admire him.

peace

Thanks for clarifying that, no problem.

I thought I had read you wrong but I stand by what I said which is that for me, there is some kind of perfect astrology that may encompass many of the thoughts of the varying astrologers/types of astrology to date. I just dont think we have found it yet but if/when we do, lets hope everyone agrees on it :)

Re: Fascinated with Astrology

golmagi wrote:Hi , name is Rich and I'm a student from Brighton. I've always been really interested in how exactly astrology works. I found myself on your website looking for answers. It's really hard to find unbiased material on the subject in the web. Doing research online can also prove to be difficult. Astrology isn't exactly accepted among university students. That's why I came here :) I will lurk a bit and try to form a good opinion on astrology by myself :)
Hi Rich

One thing that's worth pointing out straight away is that nobody knows how astrology works. Nobody.

It's worth keeping this in mind. You will read many theories, some very esoteric, some very scientific sounding, but in truth nobody knows. Lots of astrologers like to have pet theories, but there is no scientifically credible proof one way or another.

The more interesting question might be first of all "Does astrology work" and if you answer yes to that question, the next more practical question is "How can I use it?"

I think this site might help you answer the latter two questions, but as for the first, as nobody really knows how astrology works, you will only ever get theories some of which will appeal to you and some of which won't.

A great place to start if you want to learn astrology would be some of the articles here on this site. I'm going to just put it out there that in some ways this forum is more 'advanced', there are not many newbies to astrology here, most of the people who post here are already pretty fluent in astrology.

Click on the 'articles' tab under the SkyScript.co.uk logo and you'll find plenty to get started with.

Jill wrote: there is some kind of perfect astrology that may encompass many of the thoughts of the varying astrologers/types of astrology to date. I just dont think we have found it yet but if/when we do, lets hope everyone agrees on it
I can't see that ever happening whilever individuals retain their own sense of reasoning. The perfect astrological scheme is filled with metaphor and analogy; everyone of us creates it in our own mind. Once I moved beyond the basics, most of my astrological instruction came from reading traditional works, so I've come to adopt their vision of the cosmos in reality. It makes perfect sense to me as it is, though I know it's poetic to talk about planets coming together, moving backwards, or stating up new life-cycles, etc.

I just see it as though we are trying to explain the unknown based on myth; maybe those myths have an element of truth in them or none or a lot but I cant manage to engage myself in theories, however poetic, based on assumption based on assumption based on an, um, assumption. Whilst frustrating for me, I have to move myself from the traditional and modern explanations; its akin to religion to me, explaining the meaning of life via ignorance or guesswork or divine inspiration.

Fundamentally, do we even have a soul? That needs to be established before philosophers decide what the soul is or what it should do! Traditional astrology is like a religion in the way it instructs and modern astrology is like a new-age religion. I cant deal with either.

Traditional astrology for me has so many ifs and ands and there is always something contrary to say to make rules fit (or unfit). Too much mitigation is not how I see the creator would have created the universe. I see traditional astrology as devising ways to cover its own bottom (excuse my French), to cover every eventuality, mainly to keep the king or eminent one happy :) I also think theres a bit of a conspiracy going on whereby making it all so ridiculously contradicting to cover up the real wisdom.

Im a great fan of John Frawley for doing away with a lot of the fluff though.

Re: Fascinated with Astrology

Paul wrote:
golmagi wrote:Hi , name is Rich and I'm a student from Brighton. I've always been really interested in how exactly astrology works. I found myself on your website looking for answers. It's really hard to find unbiased material on the subject in the web. Doing research online can also prove to be difficult. Astrology isn't exactly accepted among university students. That's why I came here :) I will lurk a bit and try to form a good opinion on astrology by myself :)
Hi Rich

One thing that's worth pointing out straight away is that nobody knows how astrology works. Nobody.
That's a really interesting point. I never thought about it this way. I guess having been brought up in the 'scientific method' paradigm, it was just easier to wonder about how it works first. But I completely agree, there are many things in this world that are simply beyond our comprehension. The question is whether we can learn to take advantage despite we don't really understand it:)

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! All your comments really gave me a lot to think :)
Last edited by golmagi on Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.