A little example with Valens

Hi,

I like to make use of Astrodatabank's "random page" feature to help sharpen my astrological skills and this morning I came across a man named Johan Friso. I would like to share a little example of Valens' techniques in a Sidereal zodiac using this nativity.

Johan was 2nd in line to the Dutch throne while being a highly successful business man in his own right. Here is his chart:

The thing which interested me after I had looked over his nativity was the fact his marriage to his current wife actually lost him his place as a potential heir to the throne. Something about the Dutch constitution and his wife lying about some criminal associations. The details don't matter too much to me and can be found online by anyone who is interested.

The first thing to do would be to see if the reality of the situation is contained in the chart. In my opinion, it is. Saturn is in fall and retrograde motion in the 7th place, conjunct the lot of Marriage and opposing the Lady of the Asc and natural significator of marriage, Venus, and also oppsoed to lady of the 10th, the Moon.

The next thing to do here would be to see when he got married and look to see what was going on with the "general times" in that year. He got married in April 2004, so we look to his 36th year beginning September 2003.

First looking at Decennials, we find Jupiter and Mercury ruling the first two stages. Jupiter rules the major period and is in the 11th place, oriental with the ruler of Fortune, Mars, and in the 10th place from fortune. He is also conjunct the Lot of Spirit. Here he shows benefits from friendships, alliances to great men and gifts and is especially important to reputation due to his configuration with Fortune and Spirit. One thing though is that Jupiter's domicile lord, the Sun, is in a wretched state. He is in the 12th house without the aspect of the benefics and could be considered feral. This shows the benefits of Jupiter to be a little less than they could have been but with the potential to ultimately damage what Jupiter brings.

Mercury gives form to the above significations and he is placed in the Asc, in the same bounds, and partile to his domicile lady, Venus. We would expect this to be a time of great benefit to the native and indeed it was but notice that Mercury being active here also activates that opposition to Saturn, the Lot of Marriage, and, as I have already mentioned, Venus. So while the time will be of great success, there is this nasty event looming over him. The other time-lord systems will refine this as would going further into the Decennials (something I will not do).

Next I look to the Quarters of the Moon system.

Moon/Mars takes up the times from Aug 2003 to May 2004 followed By Moon/Jupiter the remainder of the year.

The Moon is in the Asc while ruling the 10th and being received by her pivotal domicile lady - truly a fortunate position! She will then bring reputation and standing to the native during this time though, again, Saturn is chipping in with his own significations.

Mars gives form to the Moon's significations until May 2004. He expresses her through the native's wealth and substance, his general fortune and his marriage partner (through rulership) as well as his allies and associates (position and conjunction with Jupiter) . Since Mars is the out-of-sect malefic, we can expect him to bring some troubles to the native's reputation and standing (due to him partnering the Moon) regardless of his decent state in the figure. He again highlights this Lot of Marriage and 7th house and, with hindsight, we know that he did effect this.

Onto profections.

The Asc and the Moon profect to Virgo and the Sun but the one I really am looking for here is the Sun since he shows the natives reputation. Here the Sun profects to Leo where Jupiter and Mars are situated again highlighting Mars' effects on the reputation in regards to marriage (ain't hindsight great?). I'm also partial to using Valens' technique for using square and rectangular numbers in his profections. Johan was in his 36th year and we have a square here (6x6). The only profection which happens over six signs is Saturn (and the lot of Marriage) to the Sun.

I won't go any further into the chart since I only wanted to use the natal chart to demonstrate this but I will just mention that the Asc profects into Aries (and Saturn and the lot of Marriage) on the 22 April 2004 for its monthly profection. This is just two days before his marriage.

I say the Sun has something of status because of its natural significations, especially when using profections. So when I'm looking to events linked to reputation and standing, I always look to the Sun's transmissions with the other stars.

It also makes sense that the Lot of Spirit is linked to reputation since it is the Solar lot.

Now that you mention transits, I found it telling that the lord of the Year, the Sun, was transiting Aries at the time of the wedding

Ok Therese.

I realised last night I forgot to mention that as well as the 6x6 square number in 36 you also have a 9x4 rectangular number and the 9 signs would bring Spirit, Jupiter and Mars to Saturn and the Lot of Marriage which obviously gives the remainder of the time-lords that little bit extra emphasis on the marriage issues for this native.

Konrad, you are jumping in deep right from the beginning with Hellenistic techniques! As long as you are serious about this research (which I applaud), I suggest that you begin using the Krishnamurti ayanamsa. Martin Gansten, Richard Houck, Ronnie Dreyer, myself and others have found this ayanamsa to give results superior to Lahiri. The difference from Lahiri is small (less than 6 minutes), but this difference matters in precise work.

This is true especially if you get into timing with the Dasa periods and using varga (divisional) charts. I recommended Lahiri earlier because of its common use, but you are obviously interested in serious research, and the man who devised the Krishnamurti ayanamsa (K. S. Krishnamurti) was extremely precise and careful in his work. This is why he adjusted the Lahiri value.
http://www.snowcrest.net/sunrise/LostZodiac.htm

Therese Hamilton wrote:Konrad, you are jumping in deep right from the beginning with Hellenistic techniques! As long as you are serious about this research (which I applaud), I suggest that you begin using the Krishnamurti ayanamsa. Martin Gansten, Richard Houck, Ronnie Dreyer, myself and others have found this ayanamsa to give results superior to Lahiri. The difference from Lahiri is small (less than 6 minutes), but this difference matters in precise work.

This is true especially if you get into timing with the Dasa periods and using varga (divisional) charts. I recommended Lahiri earlier because of its common use, but you are obviously interested in serious research, and the man who devised the Krishnamurti ayanamsa (K. S. Krishnamurti) was extremely precise and careful in his work. This is why he adjusted the Lahiri value.
I suppose it doesn't matter too much what I use since I'm not using Primary Directions other than to give a window of x amount of years in a length of life technique I devised recently. I don't really know what Dasa periods and Varga charts are since I have never studied any Jyotish.

As for the Hellenistic techniques, I'm just enthused to be able to get them "working". I have studied natal astrology since the end of last summer and I just thought I was god-awful at it since I could never see anything in most charts but since I switched, the whole thing has opened up for me and I feel more able to weave the techniques into a coherent story. I hope you get the time to upload some charts so we can have a bash at them on here.

Tinypic worked to upload the Solar Fire charts. So it's possible to study Varuna2's notes in the context of the printed chart.

Actully, Konrad, that's a very nice chart you posted, since the ascendant is in the correct eastern part of the chart. (Unlike the Jyotish square charts.) What program prints that chart?
Last edited by Therese Hamilton on Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

Bdlow is the sidereal solar return chart for the year of Prince Fisco's very serious accident in February, 2012. He was buried in an avalanche and deprived of oxygen. From the web:

"On 24 February, an Innsbruck medical team announced that the prince had been buried for 25 minutes, followed by a 50-minute CPR to treat his cardiac arrest. Dr. Wolfgang Koller stated that an MRI was performed a day earlier revealing little change, however other neurological tests indicated significant damage due to oxygen shortage. It remains unclear whether the prince will ever regain consciousness."

Note solar return Mars exactly on the natal M.C. and squaring the natal ascendant and planets therein. Note also SR Moon conjunct natal Jupiter, lord of the 6th house of accidents, and Uranus on cusp 6 in the SR.

The cusps are the solar return cusps from the outer wheel. The SR ascendant is very close to the natal ascendant.
Last edited by Therese Hamilton on Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:31 am, edited 5 times in total.