Question Re: Next Mystery Exercise

I'd like some feedback on which of the following three methods the good people on Skyscript would prefer:

1) Ask the readers to pick out a particular chart with no reference to the others.

2) Ask to pick out a chart of one type and inform the readers of all three professions.

3) Start out by asking readers to identify a particular chart and after a few days identify the other two professions?

I'm not counting votes, but I'd like to see who prefers what. I lean towards No. 1

hi tom,

i like 1 the best as it is the most challenging.

you could move to option 3 after a few days - or long enough that the stragglers get a chance to respond before you offer additional info..

it will be fun either way..

Hi, Tom :)

I also like no.1 best. Then, after a few days you could incorporate the no.3 option. Just like in the previous mystery chart exercise.

But no matter how you decide to do it, I'm sure it will be a great opportunity to test one's own skills and learn from what other members of the forum have to say.

Goran
Last edited by cor scorpii on Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I also liked how you presented the current one Tom. Give us some time to select our best option, and then give more details on the alternatives. I thought that approach worked well, and it gives the chance for revision in the light of further details.

Hi Tom,

I have learned so much from your previous excercise, I've kept al the answers of the experienced astrologers and will look at the charts again knowing what I know now.

If don't really have a preference of how the next excercise should be, but I really loved the way you did it before. First try and find one chart and then after a few days reveal the other two professions. That keeps it very exciting and challenging.

Looking forward to the next one :)

Madeleine

Hello Tom,

The last one seemed to go well. It spawned a nice conversation with many varied points and no one seemed to get their panties in a knot.

Two points for consideration:

Can the challenge also be cross-posted in the general section so that "moderns" don't feel like they're polluting the Traditional thread? (or vice versa) ;)

Can the people NOT be famous people that are Googleable? (I think there are many that don't feel so inspired to really try this and post about it, when they think some Sherlock can just go and find who it actually is and then in hindsight write perfect astrological justification for facts they already then know.)

Thanks, Tom

James

Bear in mind that Tom moderates this forum because it represents his own interests - Varuna2 has already made the point (in the other thread) that anyone can start one of these up, in any forum section, using charts they have.

Can the people NOT be famous people that are Googleable?
I did that once before. The problem is that the group is left with my impressions only. I describe what we're looking for; and I describe what was found. It's all about my perceptions. That's a bit lopsided. However if I ask to find the athlete from three charts, there is no reason to believe one or both of the others is famous. It could be a relative of mine.

I'm set to do some traveling (again) and spring is a busy season for my work so I'm sure I'll be doing a lot more than the past few months. I'd prefer not to do double duty and have to switch back and forth between Forums.

Hello Tom,

I guess I don't understand what you mean...

Re: "The problem is that the group is left with my impressions only. I describe what we're looking for; and I describe what was found. It's all about my perceptions."

If we're trying to connect the birth chart to the right person, based on career choice... how does the correct answer hinge on your perceptions? Either they were a butcher, a baker, or a candle-stick maker. Not, I feel they were a butcher, etc.

I have tons of charts with dozens of dated events (for checking the birthtime is correct, of course). I'll try to come up with something...

I would cross-post it here, except I couldn't do a wrap up based on traditional techniques. Still, if the challenge has one real-world answer, it becomes less about who got the right answer, but more about, for those that did get it right, HOW.

The Challenges are always fun and informative. It's just when the people are Googleable, then no one actually knows who is really perceptive with astrology and who is really good at research. ;) There was a challenge before using data that, if I remember correctly, was from some South American astrology journal. Later, again if I remember correctly, that particular article was able to found in just moments on the internet.

If the person/people detailed in the challenge are Googleable, then (imo) it becomes less of a challenge of astrology and more a challenge in believing everyone used astrology for their answer. ;)

And Tom, I just had the thought...there is no reason for you to cross-post the challenge. When it is posted in the Traditional section, then it is still open for discussion on any of the forums, just by initiating a thread, which anyone can do... So any challenge could be discussed using any particular approach.

Peace

James