Charts with so many squares and oppositions....

There are some charts with all the inner planets squaring and opposing each other. How can people cope with such harsh natal aspects. Interestingly, some people with such charts are highly accomplished. Is that because they endure hard transits for they already have formidable natal aspects in their chart? Are they kind of immunized? Think of Mercury receiving squares and oppositions from all the inner planets along with Mars and Saturn. I've seen such charts and found out that the native has no mental or neurotic problem. Is there any rational explanation for that?

Squares and oppositions aren't necessarily "bad". In Persian and Arabic astrology, the square and the opposition are the "stakes" of a sign and are considered the foundation of the the sign or planet they effect. Obviously it is difficult having a malefic there (especially in the 10th sign from the place and especially without the aspect of the benefics) but it works both ways; having a benefic in the stake is beneficial to a planet or topic especially without the regard of the malefics.

There is also reception to consider too as well as the point of Mercury being severely afflicted doesn't automatically means someone is going to be mentally unstable. You also have the Lord of the Asc and the Lot of Spirit and its lord signifying the mind of the native. Of course, that is if you follow the earlier traditions.

As a point of interest, the natal chart of deceased TV personality Paula Yates had one of the most afflicted Mercury's I've seen:

http://www.astro.com/astro-databank/Yates,_Paula

It's in Aries/9th/MC applying to a very nasty Mars-Saturn opposition occuring in the 12th/6th axis.

Mercury can safely be taken as a key professional significator:

She loved to use "shock" as an attention-getter and her approach took her from flirtatious celebrity interviewer to celebrity in her own right. Engagingly ebullient and flirtatious, her irreverent approach to the rich-and-famous won her industry awards twice. As a provocative columnist and author, her subjects ranged from baby care to sexual turn-ons.

She had a turbulent personal life and received psychiatric treatment before she died of a drug overdose aged 41.

(The Lots: Fortune Aquarius, Spirit Capricorn, Basis Virgo, Exaltation Cancer).

My natal chart is full of squares and oppositions and my life has been filled with intensity and is never short on conflict. I also hail from a very afflicted childhood (sigh) I have a combust mercury in the 9th, Venus in the 8th and Moon in Virgo, 4th tightly opposing Mars in Pisces in the 10th..oh and lest I forget that 4th house Pluto/Uranus opposing my Saturn.
I am, underneath it all, still quite optimistic (prob neptune square combust delusional)

The most afflicted chart Ive ever seen

I have a neice who is a beautiful young lady but with one of the most afflicted charts ever! Most of her planets fall in cardinal signs which all square and oppose one another; she even has a near perfect Grand Crosse! To be sure she has some personal issues going on with her but I get the feeling that this is nothing compared to whats to come and I fear for her! Demi Moore's daughter Rumer has a similar chart so I keep watching......

What could a chart like this mean in actuality? Any advice out there?
(February 19, 1964 11:30pm PST Los Angeles, CA)

Evil thrives where good men do nothing.

Why look for psych trouble, necessarily with squares and oppositions? My daughter has Uranus retro opposed Venus in Aries, and was blinded by a brain tumor. My nephew has a grand cross in fixed signs and has dyslexia, many accidents and injuries, and a young wife dying of an autoimmune diease called Wegener's. Yet he is extremely strong and stable in mentality, and so is she.I'm just saying don't always look into the psychology of the individual for answers. Rough formations can evidence in many ways, often externally.

Lakewind wrote:Why look for psych trouble, necessarily with squares and oppositions? My daughter has Uranus retro opposed Venus in Aries, and was blinded by a brain tumor. My nephew has a grand cross in fixed signs and has dyslexia, many accidents and injuries, and a young wife dying of an autoimmune diease called Wegener's. Yet he is extremely strong and stable in mentality, and so is she.I'm just saying don't always look into the psychology of the individual for answers. Rough formations can evidence in many ways, often externally.
Thanks Lakewind of course you're right. I really dont know why I even made that assumption. I really havent seen people in her life with health issues and I was just worrying.

Blessings to you and your family members.
Scorpioasc
(February 19, 1964 11:30pm PST Los Angeles, CA)

Evil thrives where good men do nothing.

If I ignore the transpersonal planets I have no evil planets.Its all conjunctions in Capricorn and Aquarius.The Moon is square the ASC but there are no planets there.Still, it seems to be enough to cause trouble, or maybe its the people with nasty aspects who cause me trouble with their complicated personalities :-?