The Mars-Saturn mutual reception looks bad alright because they are angular. Both malefics are also in each others antiscia.

Taurus will always be the rising sign at noon so any planet in fixed signs is angular by WS (perhaps any planet in Cancer-Capricorn could also be considered angular if you accept that a planet in the same sign as the MC-IC axis is angular, especially at about 25-26 degrees which is the actual MC-IC axis at noon).

I'm familiar with inauguration charts because my birthday is January 20th (gotta check my solar returns!).

The last inauguration in which both Saturn (Taurus) and Mars (Scorpio) were angular was in 2001. If I remember correctly, Mars was quite tightly opposed to the Asc. We all know what happened in Bush's 1st term.

Quick edit: Actually Saturn/Aquarius in 1993 - rise of terrorist incidents (WTC bombing, Oklahoma city bombing).

Off the top of my head, the last time before 2001 that I recall an angular malefic (WS) was in the 1989 inauguration where a Sun/Aquarius-Mars/Taurus square was perfecting. The 1st Iraq war (Operation Desert Storm) occured during Bush I's term.

So, on a very limited sample size it would seem that angular Mars = War. Needs more research to back this up though... watch this thread!

But note -- that Mars is in Aquarius in a double mutual reception with Saturn in Scorpio and Uranus in Aries ... and on the 17 January it will have transited the US moon -- which suggests all sorts of horrid sorts of things --

If it is Romney the POTUS (I think of preterition when i think of romney in his mormon underwear) well, Romney has his Uranus on US Mars -- just like Dubya did -- given that, he could bomb us all into kingdom come before Mars leaves aquarius ... and I can't believe that Santorum is for real ... the US GOP seems to be disintegrating, devolving into the sum of its parts -- a strong streak of No-Nothings ... I'm totally fascinated by this ... the epitome of my lifelong interest in politics ... I haven't done Santorum's horoscope yet ... I live in a very lesbigay area of Chicago where Santorum is held with total contempt ... and I do find him politically repugnant ... no one in the GOP field seems particularly compelling.

It's the Mercury retro on Election Day that supports the possibility of the Election being thrown to Congress because a potential 3rd party candidate could with 5 to 8 percent of the electoral votes hold both the major party candidates to less than 50%

Since the House reps have 2 year terms, this will not be able to be decided until after the End of Days (eclipses and mercury stations, shadow between Election Day and End of Days) indeed until after the first week of January ...

Mars ingress Capricorn, November 18 (solar eclipse on 13th) in Mutual Reception with Saturn in Scorpio, Saturn is also in Mutual Reception with Pluto in Capricorn, Mars conjuncts Pluto on November 27/28, Mercury direct station and Lunar Eclipse ...

Uranus goes direct on December 13

Solstice -- End of Days

December 25 Mars ingress Aquarius -- Mutural Reception with Uranus in Aries AND Saturn in Scorpio ...

Well not to rain on the parade, But 20 January 2013 is a Sunday, ergo the inauguration will most likely be the 19th.

Sun and Mercury aligned with Obama's natal Jupiter, Transiting Jupiter Trine OBama's natal Jupiter. Of course since his Natal Mercury opposes his Natal Jupiter, I suspect some verbal mishap may occur. not the best or worst chart I've seen.

Granny

"[b]But let's think ahead to Inauguration Day 2013. Though the 20th Amendment states that a president's term ends at "noon on the 20th day of January," Jan. 20, 2013 is a Sunday.

And what happens when a holiday happens on a Sunday? The government moves it to Monday.

So whoever is inaugurated in 2013 is likely to do it twice -- once privately and once again with all the ruffles and flourishes.

If Obama is a two-termer, he's likely to follow precedent set by Ronald Reagan and Dwight D. Eisenhower.

Reagan took the oath of office for the second time privately on Sunday Jan. 20, 1985 and during a public (indoor) ceremony the next day. Eisenhower took the oath again during a private White House ceremony on Sunday Jan. 20, 1957 and repeated it publicly on the East portico of the White House on Monday Jan. 21[/b]."

The above from a Washington Post article.

So Granny, the actual transfer of power &/or empowerment does occur on 20 January with the presidential address the following day. The primary change in planetary dynamic is the moon -- the 4 horsemen/Mars, Uranus, Pluto, Saturn are still wildly active

3:55 pm EST Monday 21Jan2013 -- Obama will have a lunar return.

And what happens when a holiday happens on a Sunday? The government moves it to Monday.
]The 20th amendment to the US Constitution, which changed inauguration Day from March to January says:
The terms of the President and Vice President shall end on the 20th day of January ... at noon.
There is no exception when Jan 20 falls on a Sunday. The ceremony can and has been moved from a Sunday to the following Monday, but the actual beginning of the next term is at noon Jan 20, 2013. If Obama is re-elected, this has little significance in terms of carrying out the duties of the Presidency. However if he is defeated, it seems that the new President would officially take office at noon on Jan 20 even if the ceremony takes place a day later. I would think the Jan 20 chart, since it is official, is the one to use.

Since Inauguration Day is always January 20 at Noon EST, the houses are pretty much the same, and the Sun is always elevated
I wonder how much significance this chart deserves.

Tom wrote:
Since Inauguration Day is always January 20 at Noon EST, the houses are pretty much the same, and the Sun is always elevated I wonder how much significance this chart deserves.
Hi Tom,

From a traditional perspective there is an argument this chart should be given some importance. Medieval astrologers would have looked at the coronation of a king as a key astrological moment.

A republic like the USA doesn't have have a king as such but the president is as close as you will get.

The English 17th century astrologer William Ramesey seems to go along with this logic in his book Astrology Restored where he suggests casting a chart for a kingdom based on the coronation of the monarch and a republic for when the new leader takes up office. Steven Birchfield used this kind of chart to predict that former British Prime Minister Gordon Brown would not be in office that long.

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

Medieval astrologers would have looked at the coronation of a king as a key astrological moment.
True but that moment could be elected (e.g. John Dee and Elizabeth I) and came about only upon the death or abdication of the previous monarch. It could happen any time. Our "king" is crowned on noon Jan 20 every four years unless a President dies or leaves office. So the charts of LBJ's swearing in or Gerald Ford's swearing in would be of astrological import. I'm not certain that something that is set in stone and happens like clockwork is the same thing. Is it feasible to say that we can predict the Presidency that begins in 2049 based on the Jan 20 2049 chart cast for noon? I'm not so sure.

On a slightly different note: someone, I forgot who, noted that there was a significant change in the Presidency beginning in 1936 when FDR was the first President sworn in on Jan 20 as opposed to March. This chart might have significance and perhaps the later charts are subordinate to it.

Tom wrote:
True but that moment could be elected (e.g. John Dee and Elizabeth I) and came about only upon the death or abdication of the previous monarch. It could happen any time. Our "king" is crowned on noon Jan 20 every four years unless a President dies or leaves office.

Agreed there is that difference. The US constitution makes the process much more mechanistic. However, I dont know if we can assume all monarchs had their coronations astrologically elected.

Here in the UK 'going to the Queen' can happen at any time after the general election. Usually, its the morning after the general election but the last election was radically different and David Cameron had to wait several days due to the uncertainty on which way the Liberal Democrat party would put their support.

In principle I still think the Presidential inauguration chart could be astrologically revealing. However, I acknowledge this is a purely theoretical position on my part at this stage. I have never seriously devoted any real time to research this. It would be useful to go over some old inauguration dates. Especially, Presidents only elected for one term like JFK and Jimmy Carter. Does Obama's inauguration chart share any characteristics?

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

Especially, Presidents only elected for one term like JFK and Jimmy Carter. Does Obama's inauguration chart share any characteristics?

That's a good question re: Obama but it assumes a little more fatalism than I'm prepared to accept. Carter might be a fair comparison because he was defeated. JFK was killed and I'm not sure it would turn up the same way as Carter's. Plus circumstances are closer to the circumstances in 1980 than in 1963/4.

Now you've got me curious as to how to go about this. Maybe I'll give it a whirl.

Tom wrote:
That's a good question re: Obama but it assumes a little more fatalism than I'm prepared to accept. Carter might be a fair comparison because he was defeated. JFK was killed and I'm not sure it would turn up the same way as Carter's. Plus circumstances are closer to the circumstances in 1980 than in 1963/4.

Now you've got me curious as to how to go about this. Maybe I'll give it a whirl.
Well examples of one term Presidencies are a bit scarce since WWII aren't they? Amongst Democrats I could only think of JFK , and Carter. Lyndon Johnson is obviously unusual as he became President with Kennedy's assassination and then won the 1964 campaign on his own. Harry Trueman effectively served most of what would have been FDR's term in 1945-1949 and was elected outright in 1949. Interesting that Clinton is the only Democrat to be actually elected for two terms since the time of FDR. On the other hand every Republican President has been elected for two terms since the time of FDR with the exception of George Bush Senior.

As for Republicans Nixon's inauguration in 1973 would be interesting too.

Mark

Republican President has been elected for two terms since the time of FDR with the exception of George Bush Senior.
And that was an historical fluke. Generally after two terms of one party the other party gets elected. You mentioned Truman but FDR was elected 4 times prior to Truman's 1948 election. Truman could have run in '52, but did not due to the unpopularity of his decision to fire Douglas MacArthur. Then Eisenhower served two, Kennedy-Johnson Two, Nixon won for the GOP twice, then Carter for the Dems. Then Reagan twice. Bush Sr marked the first time Republicans had won 3 consecutive terms since the 1920s. Then Clinton 2 - then W won twice. So history favors Obama on the grounds that two terms are common, but works against him in that they are more common among Republicans lately than Democrats. I'm not sure any of this helps any astrologer.