View memberlist
View/edit your user profile
Recent additions:
A Correct Prediction: the NYC buiding strike, 1991
by Robert E. Zoller
Book II of Carmen Astrologicum by Dorotheus
translated by David Pingree
Compiled by Deborah Houlding
Astrology and Cosmology in Early China: Conforming Earth to Heaven, by David W. Pankenier
Reviewed by Gill Zukovskis

Skyscript Astrology Forum

Wanted: vintage astrology journals (various)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Graves

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Wanted: vintage astrology journals (various) Reply with quote

I am on the lookout for vintage astrology magazines and journals to enrich the astrological literature archive I've been steadily building up for the past 16 years. Previously my focus was mostly on books, but since the mid-2000s I have become increasingly interested in journals.

If anyone has or knows of any issues of the following titles in the specified time-periods that might be available for sale or donation to a good home, I'd welcome hearing from you. This list is not exhaustive by any means but covers many of my key ongoing interests. I suspect it will take decades of patient collecting to come close to filling these wants; but I hope it will not hurt to file a notice on the record in the meantime.

The Astrological Journal of the Astrological Association of Great Britain: most issues from Autumn 1960 to Autumn 1968 wanted;

Correlation: Journal of Research into Astrology: Vol. 9 No. 1; Vol. 9 No. 2; Vol. 16 No. 1; Vol. 17 No. 1; Vol. 17 No. 2; and Vol. 18 No. 1 wanted

Astro-Psychological Problems / the Schneider-Gauquelin Reearch Journal (ed. Marie Schneider / Françoise Gauquelin): all issues from March 1992 to March 1995 wanted

Le Déterminisme Astral (ed. Henri Selva): all issues except No. 1 wanted (there were only five published, though one was a 'double' number)

Les Cahiers du RAMS: Nos. 2, 4, 6, and all from 13 onwards wanted

Destin: Revue Internationale pour Servir l'Astrologie, Les Sciences Conjecturales et d'Observation (ed. Werner Hirsig etc.): all from 1er Année No. 1 (date unknown) to 11e Année No. 119 (15 novembre 1948?); and: Destin (ed. Ch. Corthésy etc.): all from 19e Année No. 203 (fevrier 1956?) onwards, wanted

Destins: L'Occultisme dans l'Art et dans la Nature (dir Jayme, Louise): No. 21 (Nov. 1947); all from No. 38 (Juin 1939?) to No. 68 (Mars 1951?); Nos. 77-78 (Jan-Fev 1953); No. 81 (Mars 1953); and all from No. 92 (Juin 1954?) onwards, wanted

American Astrology Magazine (ed. Paul Clancy / Joanne Clancy): all issues before January 1934; nearly all from January 1950 to September 1954; most from May 1963 to September 1969; and most from November 1971 onwards, wanted

The American Journal of Astrology (ed. Paul Clancy): all issues except Vol. 1 No. 2 Winter 1937 wanted. (Believed to have been a very short-lived journal, lasting possibly less than a year)

World Astrology Magazine: nearly all issues wanted

The Adept (ed. Fredrick White / Frederick White): most issues wanted, except Dec 1898-Dec 1899, July-Dec 1901, Jan-Dec 1905, Jan-Dec 1909, Jan-Apr 1918, and a few other isolated issues

The American Astrological Student (ed. Macaulay): most issues from the sole year of publication, 1915, wanted

The American Astrological Student-Adept (ed. Macaulay): all issues from Vol. VI No. 4 (March 1928) onwards wanted

Horoscope (ed. Grant Lewi etc.): most issues up to and including May 1954, and nearly all from July 1959 to 1980, wanted. More recent issues than that of lesser interest although lacked

Wynn's Astrology Magazine (ed. Wynn a.k.a. Sidney Bennett): most issues from the 1930s and some from the 1940s wanted

The Astrological Review of the Astrologers' Guild of America: nearly all issues before Fall 1971 wanted, plus some later - please ask

The AFA Bulletin of the American Federation of Astrologers: all original printings before October 1970 wanted

Coming Events: an Astrological Monthly: Volume 1 (all); Vol. 3 No. 2 only; and all from Volume 5 No. 1 onwards, are wanted

The Sphinx: a Monthly Magazine / an Astrological Magazine (ed. Catharine H. Thompson): all issues except Dec 1899 and March 1900 wanted

The 20th Century Astrologer / the XXth Century Astrologer (ed. J. D. Astor): all issues except the six from August 1898 - January 1899 inclusive wanted. The journal ran from 1897 to 1899 only

Raphael's Prophetic Messenger / Raphael's Almanac: many from 1855 onwards wanted - please ask

Zadkiel's Almanac: many wanted - please ask

The Astrological Bulletina (ed. Llewellyn George): most (but not all) before Winter Quarter 1938 wanted

British Journal of Astrology (ed. E. H. Bailey etc.): October 1917-January 1918; April 1921; January-December 1922; January 1925 - January 1926; March-April 1926; September-December 1926; January-August 1927; October 1927; December 1927 - January 1929; September 1929-December 1930; January 1932-March 1933; May 1933-May 1935; and all from July 1935 onwards wanted

Modern Astrology (London) (ed. Duncan Macnaughton, though anonymously): Nov-Dec 1938; Jan-Feb 1939; March-April 1939; July-August 1939; Nov-Dec 1939; Jan-Feb 1940; and all from May 1940 onwards wanted

Modern Astrology (ed. Margaret Morrell, Chicago, 1950): all issues from May 1950 onwards wanted

Kosmos / The International Astrologer (journal of the International Society for Astrological Research / ISAR): many wanted

Practical Astrology (ed. Howard V. Herndon, San Francisco): all issues from January 1926-December 1928, and all from May 1929 onwards, wanted

Starlore (ed. Alec Stuart): nearly all issues wanted

Science and Astrology (ed. Eleanor Jennings): all issues wanted

Les Cahiers Astrologiques (ed. André Volguine): Nos. 193, 194 and 212 wanted

Astrology: the Astrologers' Quarterly, official publication of the Astrological Lodge of London (ed. CEO Carter / Ronald Davison): Vol. I No. 1; Vol. I No. 4; Vol. 9 No. 4; Vol. 10 No. 1; Vol. 10 No. 3; Vol. 42 No. 4 wanted

Spica: a Review of Sidereal Astrology (ed. Roy Firebrace): Vol. IX No. 1; Vol. X No. 4; Vol. XI No. 2; Vol. XI No. 3; Vol. XII No. 2; Vol. XIII No. 2 and Vol. XIII No. 4 wanted

Thank you,

Philip (solger@comhem.se)

Last edited by Philip Graves on Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:28 am; edited 2 times in total
Deb
Administrator

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I don't have any of these Phillip. If I did I would love to help you complete your collection since I can't think of anyone who is a better custodian for literature of this kind.
Philip Graves

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind thought, Deb!

My hope is that even if no currently active Skyscript members can help, this strand will become searchable through search engines and if at some stage in the future someone in possession of some such journal opts to conduct a search for it on the Internet, it will become apparent that there is a potential buyer waiting and willing to incorporate it into a large collection for long-term preservation.

I suppose also that it would be fair to say that the fact that I have not yet been able to obtain many of the journals on this list during the time periods specified is testimony to how scarce they are on the free market, although in some cases it is also simply that my collecting priorities lay elsewhere until recently, and my interest in certain titles is therefore relatively new.
drhodes

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Phillip

I have copies of the Astrological Journal as follows:

Summer 1965
Autumn 1965
Autumn 1966
Autumn 1966
Spring 1968
Summer 1968
Autumn 1968

All in excellent condition.

I also have many issues of Astrology: The Astrologers' Quarterly from the 1930's and 1940's. Unfortunately, not the ones you require.
Philip Graves

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Drhodes!

Thank you for taking the time to get in contact with me about these journals.

Of the Astrological Journal issues you list, I lack:

Summer 1965;
Autumn 1966;
Spring 1968.

I notice you list two copies of Autumn 1966. Was this intentional, or is one of them in fact a different issue?

Are you interested in selling these issues? If you'd like to discuss this further privately, I'd appreciate hearing from you on solger@comhem.se.

Thanks again,

Philip
drhodes

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello ...Sorry, that should be Autumn 1967 (not two copies of Autumn 1966).
Philip Graves

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thanks for the correction. That's good to know. I don't have any from 1967 or 1966, so that would be four issues in total that I lack.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> News, Notices, Books, Links All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: