What house rules Facebook?

Which house do you think would signify Facebook in a question such as "Should I take down my Facebook profile in order to protect my privacy?" As a social media site, FB has both 3rd (media) and 11th (friends) house connotations, and I am having trouble settling on one or the other. I'm leaning towards 3rd because of the casual nature of the interactions.

Also, which house would signify privacy? The 10th is the most public ... does this make the 4th the house of privacy?

Thanks!

Tara

Look to the first house primarily as you're talking about your safety and your 'profile'.

I don't really know about questions like these of a 'should I' nature. Should I is a bit vague. Horary isn't a substitute for decision making.

Hello

I'm agreeing with all that's been said above about the houses, and adding that receptions would be important in checking whether and to what extent your 1st house and 1st-ruler are afflicted.

For instance, according to Bonatti a planet ruling an 'enemy' or weakening house (e.g. 6th/7th/8th/12th and so on) could afflict your significator by aspect but if they also receive your significator then it's not as bad as when there is no reception.

Privacy would, to me, be things like...... anything under the earth (houses 1 to 6 inclusive). Problem is, you want your information hidden but your enemies out in the open! Things hiding beneath the sun's rays could be good or bad, depending on who/what it signifies..... could signify your anxiousness, or your hidden data, or peregrine thieves of your hidden data, depending on how it's all placed.

I'll declare a bias -- I despise Facebook and all it stands for including Mark Zuckerberg's stated views on privacy and 'social norms' :-sk -- so if you post a horary on it I'll try not to comment! :)

Regards

handn

Thanks for your thoughts, folks, but my question was which house rules Facebook? Unless I missed it, no one seems to have addressed this question, except Konrad, and while I agree with you, Konrad, that Facebook can have a corrosive influence, I can't see it as a 12th house phenomenon per se.

And I'm confused by comments such as Paul's that horary shouldn't be used as a substitute for decision making, given that horary's purpose as a technique is almost exclusively to aid in decision making.

Tara

Tara wrote:Thanks for your thoughts, folks, but my question was which house rules Facebook? Unless I missed it, no one seems to have addressed this question, except Konrad, and while I agree with you, Konrad, that Facebook can have a corrosive influence, I can't see it as a 12th house phenomenon per se.

And I'm confused by comments such as Paul's that horary shouldn't be used as a substitute for decision making, given that horary's purpose as a technique is almost exclusively to aid in decision making.

Tara
Yeah, I was being a little facetious (though not completely). I, like Handn, am against facebook and their KGB-wet-dream activities, so would see them as a secret enemy. They do make money out of you too, by the way, so the turning works (even though I try to avoid it, in general). I would just cast the chart and see what it looks like. It usually tends to highlight important houses or aspects. If you're significator is seriously afflcited in itself or especially by another, then go from there.

Hello Tara

I've re-read the thread and it seems to me that Paul pointed to the 1st as ruling your Facebook profile (which is what the question you floated is about), so he addressed it. Konrad suggested checking the 12th house so he addressed it (I assumed that Konrad was probably following Lilly et al in checking a chart for 'secret enemies' and suchlike, rather than proposing that the 12th signifies Facebook per se), and you suggested the 3rd and the 11th but said you were leaning towards the 3rd (which seems logical to me and fits with the traditional texts about published information), so you addressed it, and I explicitly stated that I agreed with all of the above (I'd re-looked at Lilly & Bonatti before I posted anything), so I addressed it.

You obviously didn't get quite what you wanted, which is a pity, but in my view people did try to help and didn't ignore, misread or misunderstand your request. I'm not quite sure what we've all done to deserve being spoken to 'managerially'. We're not at work, and even if we were.... you know?

Regards

handn

PS I agree with you that horary is a good aid in making decisions. I thought/think horary would be useful in a question such as the one you floated.

Hi all!

Maybe better questions are : why would a house signify Facebook? What would it be in relation to a querent? and How and in what manner is Facebook operating?

Just taking something and chucking it into a "house" is not thoughtful astrology, IMO.
Gabe

Hi Tara:

When I read your first post, my instinctive reaction was to use the first house. A Facebook page is a presentation of who we are, or at least how we want to be perceived. Skyscript's description of the first house calls it a "focal point for the personality and manner of expression." I think that captures the function of Facebook quite well. Most of the people I know use personal pictures on their profiles, which create the sensation that the profiles are almost virtual versions of the people.

I have never had a question about a Facebook profile. If I were judging one, I'd be sure to look at the condition of the ascendant ruler. An essentially debilitated L1 could indicate that the FB profile is injurious to the querent. The sign and house placement might indicate the source or type of injury.

I have a Facebook page. I find that it has been great for staying in contact with friends at a distance; it has also been very useful for sharing information about my running club and other groups. However, I do understand the privacy concerns. I also get weary of the constantly changing settings.

Good luck with your horary.

LP
Allow yourself to be molded by your own talents.

My pronouns are she, her, hers

Tara wrote:Thanks for your thoughts, folks, but my question was which house rules Facebook? Unless I missed it, no one seems to have addressed this question, except Konrad, and while I agree with you, Konrad, that Facebook can have a corrosive influence, I can't see it as a 12th house phenomenon per se.

Tara
Actually you didn't ask which house rules facebook. You asked which house rules facebook within a narrow context - I already answered that and so did everyone else, so not sure why you feel nobody addressed that.

What I appended to that was the idea that perhaps horary is not the best tool to answer this question as it cannot replace decision making. Asking 'should I' is very vague - should you for what? There's some other question that lurks beneath it.

If it was me I'd be seeing to what planets the Moon and Lord 1 apply - are they malefic for example or ill dignified. Is the significator combust? That might describe those things which are hidden for example.

I'm sorry you didn't get the answer you were looking for.

Handn,

I'm sorry if I came across as "managerial". It wasn't my intention. I was just trying to be clear, but I can't seem to get the right tone for this forum as it is inevitable that someone bites my head off nearly every time I use it. Apologies if I gave offence.

Paul,

There is no actual horary question. I cited a theoretical question to illustrate one which might be asked concerning Facebook, my interest being in which house Facebook would belong to in general. Of course there are many aspects to the site and so maybe it's just not possible, as GR says, to narrow it down to one house.

Thanks all of you for your very thoughtful and helpful responses.

Tara