Question About Security Deposit

Hello Forum:

I?d appreciate some assistance with this personal horary question. Recently, I left an apartment that I had rented for over nine years. When I moved in, I did of course give a security deposit. Recently, the landlord sent me a notice that he was going to retain my deposit to cover ?damages/cleaning.? The note he sent was really amateurish looking?it was hand-written, on a blank piece of paper, as opposed to being typed on corporate letterhead or even a ledger sheet. There was no itemization of the expenses he allegedly incurred. He did not explain what the damages were or what cleaning was required beyond what he would normally perform to ready a rental for market. He also spelled my name incorrectly. I felt that I should be entitled to a more detailed justification.

I cast a horary asking whether I would be able to get back any of my deposit.

Here is the chart and data:

Will I be able to get any of my deposit back?
January 26, 2012
12:27 PM EST
Jacksonville, FL USA
30N20?04 81W39?28

After casting the question, I looked up the applicable landlord-tenant laws in my state. The law is specific; the landlord has to send me a certified letter within thirty days, detailing his claim on the deposit. There is also some specific wording that needs to be included in the letter, telling me where and how I can contest the landlord?s claim. The letter I got was not certified and did not include the required wording. However, the full thirty days has not yet expired, so it is possible I could still get the proper notification. (I moved out on December 31, 2011. The thirty days will be over on January 30th.).

The chart is radical, with Taurus rising during the hour of the Moon. I am represented by Venus in Pisces tenanting the 11th house. The landlord is represented by MarsRx in Virgo in the radical 5th house?note that these significators are mutually applying to an opposition, which suggests an impending confrontation. I think it would be appropriate to use Lord 8 for the security deposit, although I did initially consider L11 (in this chart, L8 and L11 are the same planet anyway). Jupiter-L8 is ?in prison? in the 12th house, representing the landlord?s decision to hold on to the money. L8 and L1 are in full-on mutual reception, which seems to me an encouraging sign, although not necessarily definitive of a positive outcome.

My planet is an elevated benefic in the sign of its exaltation, strongly placed in the fortunate 11th house. Malefic Mars, representing the landlord, is peregrine and retrograde, although he does have a couple of mutual receptions helping him out?by exaltation with Mercury, and by term with Saturn. I find it interesting that Mercury rules the second house, my pocket. I am not quite sure how to interpret this. Mercury also rules the PoF, placed in the second house and conjunct fixed star Betelgeuse. I would assume that having Fortuna ?in my pocket? would be positive, but I am not sure what to make of the conjunction with the star.

I also note that Saturn is in the radical 6th house, turned 12th of the 7th house. To me, this is not good for the landlord, especially since Saturn is in the domicile of my planet. Could this indicate the law will be the undoing of the landlord?

On Monday, I have an appointment to talk to an attorney from Legal Aid to determine whether or not I have a strong enough complaint. I would appreciate any feedback on this chart.

Thanks to all.
Allow yourself to be molded by your own talents.

My pronouns are she, her, hers

Hello Leo-Poet

I enjoyed reading your systematic and clear analysis of your horary chart. You covered just about everything that I could see, so I don't have much to add. I couldn't arrive at any conclusions -- my brain's not in 'horary' mode I'm afraid -- so this post is just me 'thinking out loud' more than anything else, sorry!

I suppose it's easy to see the negatives or to put a negative spin on things and see the downsides, for instance with Mercury (ruler of your 2nd) being combust showing that any money you get back might not be the full amount, but on the upside I tend to agree with the idea that because Mercury is so frequently so close to the Sun and is a 'go anywhere' kind of planet anyway it probably isn't harmed much by proximity.

Although Mercury and Mars have a strong mutual reception, I'm not sure that it can be useful for future resolution since their trine is separating.... Mercury moving swiftly direct and Mars being retrograde. Then again it does show that they have had contact recently and it's still within orb. Maybe if nothing else it helps confirm rootedness/radicality -- the landlord has had recent dealings with your money.

The landlord/Mars being just a couple of days past his first station shows him as very weakened, which could go in your favour since belligerent Mars isn't in much of a position to fight when he's not charging full steam ahead, but it's interesting to me that Venus and Mars have a mutual reception by triplicity. Venus being direct, swift, in sect, free of sun's beams, and having essential dignity should count for something!

I was a bit undecided about the fact that the newly-waxing Moon (which is in the triplicity of Mars) is going from your significator (Venus) to the landlord's significator (Mars). I'm in two minds about this but I think I'd prefer to see it going in the other direction so that it conveys something from him to you, but maybe it's not that big a deal, and just shows that you're going to have to send him a legal letter or something in order to bring things to a conclusion. In a similar way I'd prefer it if the landlord was shown by a planet that does the running -- then again, Venus and Mars, judged solely in a general sense, are quite evently matched so it could be worse, and you're at least the benefic of the two, and in better condition dignity-wise. I'd prefer it if the aspect between Moon and Venus/Mars was a more harmonious one too, but on the other hand you're separating in your relationship with the landlord so maybe the opposition just shows a final contact that fully breaks the link? Not sure about how to read all this.

Moon does aspect the cusps of 2nd-8th and 1st-7th before it gets to Mars. I wonder if that's significant. Venus opposition to Mars is exact on 1st Feb, which isn't long after your appointment with the legal expert.

As for the star Betelgeuse, just don't say its name three times :) (just a joke...... in reality I've got no idea what it might signify!)

Regards

handn

Hi Handn:

Thanks for your reply and your compliments. I do like your point about considering the Moon?s progress from Venus to Mars, and what that might indicate. The Moon does rule the third house in this chart, so it could very well signify a letter or other communication sent from me (or my attorney) to the landlord.

You?re also right about how easy it is to see the negatives in this chart. That?s something I thought about a lot?there are certainly many. Lately, though, I have been working on carefully evaluating which planets are in the best to position to act, because that seems to have the biggest impact on the outcome. Charts will always have positives and negatives and it is certainly possible to have a good outcome despite obstacles; one can also have a poor outcome even when things seem to be going your way. I think my sig, Venus, is in a stronger position here than Mars. Venus is dignified?meaning she has internal resources available to her. Mars has some mutual receptions but no essential dignity, so he has resources available to him only through other people or circumstances. One of those MR planets, Mercury, is under the beams; the other, Saturn, is in aversion to Mars, in the sign of Mars? detriment despite the MR, and in a bad house. MR by term is weak anyway?and to top it off, Mars is retrograde, which as you note shows him in retreat. So, I don?t see Mars as having as much ability to act here. I believe there are things I can do to at least get some of the money back. I?ll know more tomorrow, which is the deadline by which the landlord must send me proper notification, and also the day on which I will talk with the attorney from Legal Aid.

Because L8-the security deposit is in the 12th house, it would have been easy to assume that the money is lost to me. I decided, however, that the concept of being ?in prison? was more applicable. Prisoners can be freed. Although tenanting the twelfth, Jupiter is nevertheless in the same sign as the ascendant, rather being in aversion to it, which seems a positive sign. And, as I have already mentioned, Jupiter and L1-Venus are in mutual reception?showing that perhaps I can ?spring? the captive.

So, we shall see what happens!

Namaste--LP

Hi Forum:

An update: I just spoke with Legal Aid. It was very frustrating. The attorney told me that they don?t take on security deposit cases, because they don?t have the budget for it. He referred me to some websites with information about security deposits, and he also recommended a workshop on filing a complaint in small claims court. He couldn?t really tell me whether I had a strong enough complaint or not. The whole phone conversation was super disappointing. He also told me that if I try to sue the landlord for the deposit, the landlord would then have the right to counter-sue me. I could end up owing even more money if I lost. He recommended that I try to work something out with the landlord directly first. Maybe that?s the impending Venus-Mars opposition?

I really don?t know what to do at this point. Reading this chart as one for a potential lawsuit, the verdict (L4) will be entirely in the hands of the judge, as the Sun is conjunct the MC and ruled by L10-Saturn, representing the judge. Saturn is, as I already mentioned, in the turned 12th house of the landlord.

I?d appreciate some additional feedback. Thanks.

Hello

It seems getting legal help over there is the same frustrating nightmare as it is over here.... it can be very demoralising just trying to get basic information to know where you stand.

I've been thinking about the possibility of a collection of light in this chart. Despite Mars being retrograde, could it be acting as a collector of light? I'd normally think that a retrograde can't hold light, but that's what you want in this case -- you don't want Mars to be able to retain your deposit, you want the light sending back.

I checked the timing of the aspects and Mars's last aspect was the mutually-received trine with Mercury. Mars's next aspect is the opposition with the Moon, which Mars receives by Triplicity.

Moon, Venus and Mars all aspect the Ascendant. They aspect it by sextiles and a trine (obviously all harmonious aspects). The Moon is exalted in the Taurus rising sign, although Mars is obviously in detriment there being the sign opposite his own that's a given.

Whilst the opposition is an aspect of contention, it's also just an aspect of separation, which is what you and the landlord are doing.

Judging by the chart I think we can be certain that no matter whether you get the deposit back in whole, in part, or not at all, you're the one who is going to have to do the running -- I say this because your significators - Venus, Mercury - are swifter than the landlords - Mars, Jupiter. I don't think this part could be read any other way.

Regards

H.

PS I should've been clearer about it being easy to see the negatives...... I meant it as a general thing, i.e. it's easy to see negative testimony in any horary chart. Sorry for the mix-up.