Thank you.

This is the most interesting piece I have read in ages! You make an excellent point about the common failure of traditionalists to link nativities to configurations such the JSC, eclipses etc. I think you may have hit on a missing link here. You list some really interesting techniques applied in your substantial article.

To summarise:

The Jupiter-Saturn-conjunction (JSC). Just to clarify you seem to be using the actual conjunction rather than the prior Aries ingress used in medieval astrology. Secondly, you are using the actual motion of the planets rather than the 'mean' or more theoretical approach adopted by Abu'Mashar. I do think this is a more pragmatic approach which retains the spirit of the tradition but recognises the improved astronomical sophistication available to astrologers today.

Eclipse charts: You are using charts for zodiacal conjunction only? I tend to favour charts for the time of maximum obscurity. I haven't checked the data myself but are you using non-visible eclipses? We will have a nice test of both approaches with the annular eclipse visible over much of the USA on May 20th. Following your lead I will be looking at this in relation to Obama and Romney's charts.

Transiting nodes-I was very intrigued to see your extensive use of the transiting nodes to nativities. I use the Egytian bounds so I must look into that too. I confess I have only been using transiting nodes for a fairly short time but I have been amazed how accurate they are! Its a very underestimated predictive tool. I came to this discovery more through a study of some Indian astrology. I am wondering if you derived this from Indian or Persian/Arab astrology?

Thanks again for a most stimulating article!

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your comments.

JSC. yes using actual degree of JSC not the Aries Ingress for the year when the JSC occurs. also not using the conjunction based on the theoretical 'mean' of the JSC synodic period. as is well known and has been discussed on the forum before (sorry don't have time to search for the thread), it seems the reason why traditional authors used the Aries Ingress for the year of the JSC instead of the actual JSC itself was because of the inability to determine the exact date of the actual JSC because of the limits of precision in measuring astronomical positions. one of the ways I gained confidence in the relevance of the actual degree of the JSC itself was to profect the JSC degree (for the horoscope cast for the moment of the JSC conjunction) at the rate of 30 degree/year and see if world events matched what was promised by conjunctions or aspects made by the profected JSC degree. I found they did and so have stuck with actual JSC degree horoscopes.

Eclipses. to date have used the zodiacal eclipse degree but have not rigorously compared it to the other ways of measuring eclipse intensity. I do however pay attention to both eclipse duration and the % of the luminary eclipsed as an indication of the magnitude of eclipse effects.

Nodal Transits. this is a big deal and didn't pick it up from any Vedic source. if anything, have to credit Jonathan Pearl for pointing out to me some years ago a big difference between 'north node' and 'south node' eclipses, e.g., because the north node 'increases' and the south node 'decreases' there is a big difference for solar eclipses, for instance, when the sun is conjunct the north node compared to when the sun is conjunct the south node. this led me to consider 'what is actually being increased' when the north node is conjunct an eclipsed luminary. I determined that the planet/sign combination of the bound placement of the luminary is 'what is actually being increased' with the actual bound ruler the cause of the increase. vice versa for south node eclipses.

now step away from eclipses, which can really be considered an accentuation of impacts of nodal transits, and consider the nodes outright. take the current placement of the north node in sagittarius, bound of jupiter/sagittarius. in my work, jupiter/sagittarius signifies 'too much is not enough' and is an inflationary signature in financial astrology. ruler jupiter/taurus in my work signifies big banks and bank capital - so to the extent that banks are recapitalized, conditions for inflation will be created. not happening right now! especially since early may. why? because in early may jupiter entered combustion (within 7 degrees of the sun) an aspect which is still applying. so the bound ruler jupiter/taurus is unable to deliver increased inflation promised by the bound itself. once jupiter leaves combustion, the situation for the banks should improve, also as venus makes its retrograde station and moves away from the trine to saturn.
Dr. H.
World Class Research in Medieval Predictive Astrology
www.regulus-astrology.com

hi ra,

thanks for this article - it's thought provoking..

regarding the romney rectification - is it possible for you go into the rationale behind it? does it have anything to do with where the nodal axis finds itself in this upcoming american election, or with the mercury station- retro chart which happens to have the same ascendant degree as well? i'm curious.. since you've included presidents wifes into the mix, i am curious if you happen to have any birth time specifics for romneys wife ann born april 6 1949 detroit, mi?

if you take the data for romneys chart as listed at astrodatabank and relocate his chart to washington dc, this will give the same rising degree - 5 gemini 15, as what you have in your rectified chart.

obama's chart relocated to washington has 7 gemini 55 risiing which is not too far off this same spot - his moon thus in a conjunction to his ascendant at 3 gemini 21 and thus perhaps accounts for some of the popularity he has had with the general public complicated by the square to pluto for those of us who examine outer bodies, more then 'bounds' for example..

an interesting observation to make is that obama presidency was inaugurated under a mercury retrograde - jan 20 2009.. he announced his 2012 presidency campaign on april 4, 2011 which had mercury retrograde as well. the previous date for him doing this was feb 10 2007.. in both charts one will note the sun opposite saturn which is quite close..

i am not ready to make a prediction yet on the outcome of this upcoming election as i haven't studied all the data enough. i would be curious to know what general conclusions you draw from the jupiter-saturn conjunction chart to the outcome of this upcoming election though.. one more question - was there a reason you used london england for some of those charts in your article when the primary focus was on the usa? thanks

James,

The Romney rectification I did back in 2007 and is available here:
http://regulus-astrology.com/pdf/2008%2 ... r-2008.pdf

I just had a look at my work here, pp. 47-50, and see at that time I was still using modern planets and other sensitive angles such as the vertex and equatorial ascendant which I am no longer using.

The ADB article makes a couple of important points. The birth was caesarean and the father in a letter noted the birth was at 10:00 a.m. (in a letter which the Boston Globe had scanned and had on their website - no longer available). ADB says Frances McEvoy quotes Romney in giving a 9:51 a.m. birthtime but McEvoy as a source has been discredited for other birthtimes which proved to have no backup data.

I should take another look at Romney, with my work on physiognomy in the last few years, I would not entirely rule out a very late Taurus Ascendant; reason being 3rd decan of Taurus is Capricorn, and ruler Saturn placed in Leo think is a better fit to the squared off shape of Romney's face. Were that to be the case, that would definitely hurt Romney as the transiting South Node in Taurus would be on his Ascendant right at the election - and sorry have not looked at Ann Romney yet.

I don't use relocated charts so can't make any comments on your observations.

For Obama's current popularity, trSouth Node approaching the conjunction of his natal Moon is seeing his popularity take a big dive. this transit will be exact on 25-Jun-2012. this is a logical candidate for a low in Obama's popularity.

Regarding the upcoming JSC cycle, years back I had considered Mike Huckabee a potential candidate for the 2012 election because of his Jupiter/Leo - Saturn-Scorpio square which would be recapitulated should he have won the 2012 election. But he dropped out. But his influence should be felt within Republican Party ranks, perhaps fundraising.
Dr. H.

dr H

thanks for sharing your earlier work which included mitt romney and a few other key political players with retification work.. based on a read of the data it appears you were using solar arc directions -converse and direct.. do you continue to work with them, or have you replaced them with primary directions more exclusively? the reason i ask is i too note cross over sometimes between these 2 predictive tools, as it appears you do.

i remember having the conversation prior to obamas win of the presidency against mccain this same question hanging over the quality of info from frances mcevoy regarding romneys chart data.. it was never resolved either.. back then we were content to see mccain win the republican ticket as we didn't have that cloud hanging over his chart that hung over romneys..

according to his dad - 10am is the time he gave for mitts birth..
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/6801 ... .html?pg=1

about the rectification on the pdf for obama of 7:54:28 pm, are you still working with this time for obama?

thanks
james

james,

still use solar arcs, both direct and converse, in conjunction with primary directions. still find validity to the proposition introduced in A Rectification Manual on the relationship between solar arcs and primary directions, p. 139.

essentially solar arcs seem to time events which have a more public nature to them relative to primary directions. also, have found solar arcs have greater predictive punch for horoscopes with leo emphasized: asc, moon, or sun in leo. consider the pied piper of solar arcs - noel tyl - has moon in leo in his own natal chart.

obama - still working with the 7:54:28 PM time. just finished writing up a piece on the gar marriage announcement and how that is consistent with the 7:54:28 PM rectified time. its being edited now and should be up on the site in another week or so.
Dr. H.

Hi Dr. H,

Thanks for another interesting article. Just a few comments:

- Your focus of Saturn/Scorpio in the election chart is based on a delineation of a potential hurricane/flood. Elsewhere, you have delineated Saturn/Scorpio as paranoia/concern over national security. I would be leaning more towards the latter on the basis of the Libra ingress preceding the election. The election could be overshadowed by a serious national security incident. Alternatively, the fallout from the election could have violent consequences.

- Why have you chosen the moment that Mercury goes retrograde as the time for the election chart? Did the 2000 election chart erected when Mercury went retrograde have interpretive value?

If that chart 'works', here's some possible interpretations:

- What I find most striking about the chart is Moon/Leo at the IC two degrees from Obama?s natal Sun. At one level this could be seen as Obama winning the public vote but being at the IC suggests an ending. Moon/Leo at IC ? the end for Obama.

- On the other hand, looking at it as King(10th) v challenger(4th), it looks better for Obama because of 10th lord Jupiter in 1st and Moon tightly applying to Jupiter. If we take the MC-IC axis instead, it would be more of a stalemate because both Sun (IC) and Saturn (MC) are in 6th. Sun has a tight trine of the Moon but Saturn as MC ruler culminates with respect to the MC. Not sure which would count for more. The ultimate dispositor is the Jupiter-Mercury reception from detriment, but Jupiter in 1st would be preferred.

- Saturn is in Romney?s Moon sign and Jupiter is in Obama?s ? advantage Obama.

dr h,

thanks for your additional comments here which continue to be interesting! i am not sure about the idea of leo and greater predictive punch for the solar arc directions, but it is true noel has written a book on solar arcs and took up the mantle for greater use of them by publishing his book.. i find a lot of value in them and do note how sometimes the information crosses over with primary direction data directly, especially if you use converse data which i do look at as well..

it seems we all have different techniques in the astrology community for arriving at our conclusions. my particular interest continues to be with greater integration of midpoints and i continue to learn more about using the 45 degree dial which is something i started using very recently - about 2 years ago.. the conclusions i might make on a rectification for example will be different given my use of these techniques.. understanding what techniques others use is very helpful for me to appreciate others work.. it explains the process for arriving at conclusions which is always enlightening and this is how i find your articles here, so thanks again for them.

coming back to the rectification work on obama and romney and your observation on the mercury station on the day of the election nov 6th this year - i wanted to mention that in working with the times i have for obama - 7:24pm and romney -951am, i have done relocated charts for both of these men to washington off these times and done a solar return for them for this year to this relocated place.. i don't think it will change much regardless what i note in these charts whatever one uses, as i am drawn to the coincidence of both solar return charts having a mercury station, one about to go retrograde, the other about to go direct in both mens solar return chart.. i thought i would point this out to you given that you pointed out this mercury saturn in the nov 6th election date..

as for my observations on these relocated solar returns one will note a number of interesting connections to the data in these charts to the data in the nov 6th election date which i won't articulate here..

on another topic that you raised - eclipse charts, i was looking at some of the eclipse charts for this year and overlapping these onto these 2 presidential candidates as well.. i mostly examined the solar eclipse charts from may 20th and nov 13th and note some of the cross overs between the charts using the times i have given up above - 724pm obama and 951am romney.. depending on romneys rising degree, the may 20th eclipse lands very close to this degree of his ascendant/descendant axis, while the nov 13th se point lands very close to obamas midheaven degree.. all food for thought, but still no definite conclusions from me on the outcome of the election.. i am leaning towards an obama win at this point, but still much to consider.. as a caveat, i do not live in the usa and i do not follow news via television so in some regards i am very much out of the loop on what is being churned in the mainstream media.. thanks again for your comments..

James,

1. No particular reason for casting the 6 Nov 2012 election chart for the time that Mercury goes retrograde. Had to pick something and have gotten tired of the midnight charts for the day of the election that some modern astrologers pick. Sticking with the tradition, one should cast lunations for Washington DC and work with those after working with the Ingresses.

2. I had some training on the 90 degree dial for rectification purposes when I was first learning astrology. I rarely look at it anymore because it doesn't fit into the system I am using. But that doesn't mean it's wrong.
Dr. H.

Mitt Romney has just announced Wisconsin Congressman Paul Ryan as his running mate.

Fortunately, the folks at politicalastrologyblog have discovered Ryan's birthtime and his natal chart can be seen here: http://politicalastrologyblog.com/2012/ ... iscovered/

I have some doubts about the (Sagittarius) Ascendant as it is just on the cusp with Scorpio. Using Valens methods to determine eminence, Scorpio would be a better fit for rising sign.

In any event, Ryan has a tight Jupiter/Scorpio-Saturn/Taurus opposition. Will this mundane aspect boost the Romney campaign's chances of winning the WH?