Can assassinations be prevented? by Elsbeth Ebertin
translated by Jenn Zahrt PhD
A Guide to Interpreting The Great American Eclipse
by Wade Caves
The Astrology of Depression
by Judith Hill
Understanding the mean conjunctions of the Jupiter-Saturn cycle
by Benjamin Dykes
Understanding the zodiac: and why there really ARE 12 signs of the zodiac, not 13
by Deborah Houlding

Skyscript Astrology Forum

Henry Coley Clavis Astrologiae

View previous topic :: View next topic  
epurdue

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: Henry Coley Clavis Astrologiae Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a copy of the 1676 edition that isn't marked up? In the only scan I can find, some editor in a past century decided to cross out a good deal of text.
james_m

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on this link that someone else here shared i believe the book is in pdf form... let me know if this works, as i haven't checked out a number of these books yet...

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B2i5q4X9yT_uYjE4NDVjYmYtNTRmMC00MDM5LWEzMTQtYjJjMGU5MDRmNmRl&hl=en
epurdue

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's funny I have the same Google Docs. That version of Coley is the same as all of the others I've seen. I also tried Early English Books Online.

Thanks though.
Philip Graves

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which pages are the affected text on?

I have an original 1676 printing in which the only alterations are in accordance with the errata page provided in the book: a previous owner has used this to correct the text in accordance with its instructions. I'd be happy to clarify any text you can't read by looking at my copy.
epurdue

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Graves wrote:
Which pages are the affected text on?

I have an original 1676 printing in which the only alterations are in accordance with the errata page provided in the book: a previous owner has used this to correct the text in accordance with its instructions. I'd be happy to clarify any text you can't read by looking at my copy.

There are quite a few actually, and in some cases the tight binding obscures words, but generally I can make those out.

Some examples are pages 92 and 93, 96, 116, and many more. In all of these, someone entirely obscured several words by little squiggles.
Philip Graves

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am downloading the file given in the link posted by James above, Mithra, in order to compare the pages you have pointed out. It's taking a long time as it's a massive 125 MB file and I live in a remote location with only a weak mobile Internet signal and no fixed-line broadband facility. But it should get here eventually!

It is certainly true that most scans of English-language astrological texts from the 16th and 17th centuries doing the rounds on the Internet appear to have been culled from Early English Books Online, and quite a lot of them leave much to be desired in terms of the quality of the reproductions. That more than anything was why I tried to collect originals of the most important works by the most important authors (Lilly, Coley, Gadbury, Ramesey, Partridge, Saunders, Dariot in English translation, etc.) when I had the money (those days are long gone)....

I seem to remember that the file for Coley was particularly poor, with a massive repetition of hundreds of pages of the text, making the book artificially appear several hundred pages longer than it is.
Philip Graves

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, I can see that pp. 92-3 are a horrible mess on that reproduction. Ok, here we go (Coley of the non-marine variety in hand):

p. 92, first column: Gallia

Second column: Carinthia; Arthefina; the Dukedom of; Gallia (no further word); Comata part; Brundufium; Tholosa; Lyons. Paris; Basill; Heialeburg; Wrutislaiv (no further lines)

Third column: Trogloditica; Cajetam; Laudam; Suessam; Placentia; Franckford at Mene; Halam Suenorum; Frifinge; Mofpachium; Landshut; Vienna in Austria (the crossing-out was 'Austria')

Fourth column: Fes (not 'Fez'); Catalonia; Valentia in Spain; Gaunt (under 'Monacum'); Frankford upon Odor

P. 93: first column: Arabia the happy; Studgard

Second column: Masovia; Orchades (nothing after this); Gaunt, some say Vilna; Vindelicorum; Constantia (last three characters corrected thus on my copy; not sure what it read originally)

Third column: Sarmatia; Tartary the great; Swedeland South part; Mosell; Piemont; Arabia desert and Stony; Hamburoagh; Mountferate

Fourth column: Calabriana; Nasomonia in Libia; Aegypt the higher; Ratispone

P. 96: Exaltation, Triplicity, Term, or Face; as Saturn in the 6, 10, or 26 degrees of;
one Planet separates...;
Besieging

P. 97: Longitude of any Star or Planet...

P. 116: why the several houses should...;
some reasons for the same before...
(Whited out text at end:)
but natural;
any thing of;
Heavens are;
Horizon and Meridian;
divided into two;
same nature, viz. those with whom

That's it for those pages. Any more?
epurdue

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Graves wrote:
Good stuff...

Thanks a lot!

I haven't systematically gone though the whole book yet. I'll do that over the next few days.

Thanks again.
Mark

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Philip,

Good to have you back. You have been missed!

Mark
Mark

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All,

I seem to recall reading somewhere a new edition of this was being produced. Or is this wishful thinking on my part?

Mark
Philip Graves

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I read something to that effect just recently too, Mark, within Skyscript - maybe an informed posting by Deb even? I think it was billed as a planned project for the AFA.

If so, it is to be hoped that it will be the complete text that is published, and not the truncated versions that were widely circulating in the 1990s and 2000s, with most of the tables missing.

The full book should contain, in this order:

Frontispiece portrait of Coley
Title page
"To the Reader" (by William Lilly), 2pp
Preface (by Coley), 4pp
Contents, 13pp
Dedicatory poems to Coley by five different authors, 8pp
Advertisement for Coley's services as a teacher of many subjects, 1p
Table of the Sun's Right Ascension, 2pp
Table of houses in diagrammatic form at 7 minute intervals, 30pp
The Proem, pp. 1-4
Necessary Praecognita Astronomical, pp. 5-8
Clavis Astrologiae Elimata, The Introduction, pp. 9-134*
Clavis Astrologiae Elimata, The Second Part, pp. 135-350
Clavis Astrologiae Elimata, The Third Part, pp. 351-759
Errata, 1p
Tabulae Rudolphinae, by Kepler and Morin, title page (unnumbered)
Tabulae Rudoplhinae, pp. 1-69, plus an unnumbered page
The Use of the Rudolphine Tables, pp. 81-103

*including volvelle mounted at p. 18 - which might be difficult to reproduce since they require hand assembly
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> News, Notices, Books, Links All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: