Primary disagreement - Morinus vs Placidus

Hi,

I recently had my chart rectified by a real astrologer (as distinguished from me) and he used a list of zodiacal primaries generated by Placidus - I believe he used latitude for both promissor and significator - Placidus give a code of ZG for the direction - I cannot get Morinus to generate anything close to this - can you help tell me what to do?

Tn aks

Re: Primary disagreement - Morinus vs Placidus

august47 wrote:Hi,

I recently had my chart rectified by a real astrologer (as distinguished from me) and he used a list of zodiacal primaries generated by Placidus - I believe he used latitude for both promissor and significator - Placidus give a code of ZG for the direction - I cannot get Morinus to generate anything close to this - can you help tell me what to do?

Tn aks
No idea what is ZG.

In every case for what you describe you should choose under PRIMARY DIRECTIONS options, SEMIARC/ZODIACAL/use the latitude of: BOTH

Maybe the fact the two reports don't agree depends on the fact you chose a different key.

margherita
Traditional astrology at
http://heavenastrolabe.wordpress.com

Hi,

ZG is a code in the leftmost column of the Placidus printout under the heading "Dir" - I suppose it designates zodaical directions and something else - dunno.

I have morinus 3.9 primaries set to Placidus semi arc, both lats, asp of proms to sigs only, only using ASC and MC as significators, Naibod key - this is the same as Placidus as far as I can tell (using the Swiss emp files in Morinus)

While none of the values match, the Moon's arcs are grossly off - (I tried selecting secondary motion but it got even worse.)
Give you an example of how off the two are.

Moon converse conj DSC
Placidus - arc = 37.48849
Morinus - arc = 45.616

LTrine Moon dir ASC
Placidus - arc = 4.83545
Morinus does not find this! only a converse trine at 1.222!

RTrine Sun direct MC
Placidus - arc = 69.305
Morinus - arc =69.471

Mars direct conj ASC
Placidus arc = 32.29562
Morinus arc = 32.428

What is going on? - btw the Placidus directions are very "on" (and yes I remembered to adjust the times in my old morinus files to the rectified birth time!)

...very, very confused...

Perhaps morinus doesnt like windows 7...or is corrupt...or hates me...

august47 wrote: Perhaps morinus doesnt like windows 7...or is corrupt...or hates me...
I don't know about Placidus, but I checked by hand semiarc and underthepole in Morinus and they are correct.

And Underthepole directions fit even by the day with Placidus results.

Moreover I believe Martin Gansten - who is more expert than me -checked with the same results.

It should be something in settings, but I cannot guess what, especially because we don't know what is ZG.

margherita
Traditional astrology at

august47 wrote:ZG is a code in the leftmost column of the Placidus printout under the heading "Dir" - I suppose it designates zodaical directions and something else - dunno.
It seems to be an abbreviation for what Rumen Kolev calls 'Zodiacal Argol-L. Gauric'. I confess I have no idea what obscure variation this may signify. Perhaps Margherita can venture a guess, as she is familiar with Argoli and Gaurico?
While none of the values match, the Moon's arcs are grossly off - (I tried selecting secondary motion but it got even worse.)
There are many variables involved in directing the Moon, not least of which is parallax. I don't think Placidus (the software) allows for parallax correction, although Placidus (the astrologer) advocated it. If you have ticked the Topocentric box under Options > Appearance I in Morinus, that may help explain the difference.
Perhaps morinus doesnt like windows 7...or is corrupt...or hates me...
I doubt there is anything wrong with Morinus. I use it with Windows 7 every day. Would you mind posting your chart data?

margherita wrote:Moreover I believe Martin Gansten - who is more expert than me -checked with the same results.
So now we have both invoked each other's authority. :D Do you have any idea about Gaurico/Argoli?

Topocentricity unfortunately doesn't bring the lunar directions appreciably closer.

natal data is as follows - 11:03 pm 08/18/1947 Los Angeles CA 118.25w 34.07n

morinus v3.9 settings:
Placidus semi arc
Lat = both
Asp of prom to sign
Sigs=ASC, MC
Primary key = naibod

placidus v4
Placidus Pole: radix
Lat = both
Asp of prom to sign
Sigs=ASC, MC
primary key= naibod

I could sent a .gif of comparable section of the two printouts but dont know how to attach a file or image here...
Last edited by august47 on Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

august47 wrote:Topocentricity unfortunately doesn't bring the lunar directions appreciably closer.
As Margherita says Argoli used Regiomontanian directions (and I seem to recall that Gaurico did the same), have you tried selecting that option in Morinus?

Without knowing the chart data, there is only so much one can do.

Placidus manual says that

With latitude zero or acc. to Argol - L.Gauric.
On the screen we can see only the directions with latitude=0. These are the classical zodiacal directions of Regiomontanus under the Pole of the Significator. Practiced by all Masters in the Regio Tradition.

So it's NOT the semiarc method. If you choose this in Morinus, obviously it could never fit.

margherita
Traditional astrology at