Venus and Marriage!

sir,
i have been reading on net that an afflicted venus can create problems in married life!

in ketu dasha i have almost lost everything in life,my family, my friends, my girlfriend, living alone for work,life is sad.
my ketu dasha is ending tomorrow, and venus mahadasha is starting from tomorrow.
but whats the use when my venus is afflicted, the planetary positions gets activated in its mahadasha right?
will i ever get married or do i have a life?
venus is placed in his own house in the 4th he is afflicted by close proximity to sun and also the nodes. this combination is aspected by a retro mars who again is afflicted by the presence of retro saturn.

sir can u look into my charts and tell me how far are my planets afflicted? and what are its causes.
date is 27.05.1984,
birth time:12.45 am,
place: Aurangabad, Bihar.

Misunderstood Venus....

From a Western classical perspective (as opposed to a Vedic perspective)Venus has other desires that may override the need to marry for love. She didn?t have the perfect husband in mythology either ? she was married off. A woman with a strong Venus marries for money. As soon as she no longer needs the money, there is a tendency to have affairs, or to hold out indefinitely until she gets what she wants (particularly in a Saturn-ruled sign ? Saturn is all about delays).

Venus fallen in Virgo in a woman is very marriage-oriented, and may even obsess over marriage, or do anything to get married (including home-wrecking). Venus debilitated in Aries in a woman may fight with the spouse, but it doesn't preclude marriage. Venus debilitated in Scorpio is almost always married or in some sort of liaison, in my experience. Venus in Scorpio is so image-conscious and envious of others that she doesn't accept the low status of being single very long.

By contrast, I have Venus in the 5th House (House of Joy) in a night birth (most powerful placement in the horoscope according to Firmicus Maternus) in the Saturn-ruled sign of Capricorn, and I have never found anyone good enough to marry. Maybe it will happen very late in life, but I'm starting to doubt it.
All I know is that if my birth chart was a horary, the answer would be "No".

My Blog: http://slushpileastrology.blogspot.com/

Venus and Marriage.

Sunnydawn,

What do you have to say about my Venus/Mars conj in Cancer in 3rd please?
Bad relationship but I did soldier on, eventually divorced but not going there again. My Venus is sextile Uranus in 1st, partile semi-sextile Leo Sun in 4th and opposes my Moon in Cap 9th!

I chose to operate from my Venus/Sun and Uranus aspects and overlooked the Mars conj. I'm very Venusian by nature, love all the Venus things!

Julie K

Hi, Julie...

Hi Julie,

From a Vedic perspective: If you have a close Venus/Mars conjunction, you are said to be "the leader of your village." In other words, you lead your social sphere in some way.

From a Western perspective: Mars is fallen, and the Moon is debilitated, harming both the 3rd (K-12 education, siblings, neighbors) and the 9th house (higher education, religious/philosophical beliefs, long distance travel) and/or the significations of Mars (brothers, courage, athletic ability, drive) and the Moon (motherhood, your own mom, the food you eat, your ability to connect with the people). Two fallen planets are always going to make a horoscope more challenging.

Venus in Cancer has a tendency to play the parent (or hide in the corner and sulk like a kid) or do both at the same time, BTW.

We tend to look at fallen planets more in Vedic astrology, where the effects of a fallen planet show up more strongly than they do in Western astrology. Debilitated planets are not used in Jyotish.

Just because planets are fallen in the western chart does not mean they are fallen in the Vedic horoscope. Depending on when you were born, there are roughly 23.75 degrees between each planet's placement as one shifts from tropical to sidereal zodiac. Western Mars in Cancer often falls back into Gemini (where it is not fallen).

Moon in Cap gives a cold, calculating, shrewd cast to the personality, but it is usually very private and not always obvious to others. When either of the lights are in Cap, the gift of articulation and connecting with others through words (spoken or written) is increased, so debilitation isn't all bad. Cicero, one of the greatest orators in Western history, was thought to have both Sun and Moon in Capricorn.

A 4th House Leo Sun is strong in their own home, and is oriented toward improving the self. It typically isn't outward directed. But the sunny pride of Leo shows up once you are in a comfortable element, and being "leader of your village" would reinforce this.
All I know is that if my birth chart was a horary, the answer would be "No".

My Blog: http://slushpileastrology.blogspot.com/

Marriage in a woman's chart is more so centered on the placement of the Sun and Mars, for a male it would be Moon and Venus. And you'd want to analyze the 7th house (the sign of the 7th cusp is helpful to note in all of this - barren vs. fruitful signs) and 7th ruler(s) (their placements by house, sign and their planetary strength/weaknesses). Over all, you might notice a tendency for barreness or fruitfulness via the benefic vs. malefic influences as well as the signs themselves. But I still believe in free choice and an astrology chart is likely to show our impulses. A person with a lot of barren indicators might still marry, but perhaps they might be happier as a bachelor and not cause unhappiness for others by not being in relationships.

In other words, we don't normally just look at Venus, at least not in traditional Western astrology. I would say she often adds testimony though, as the panet of love and relationships by natural signification.
Venus debilitated in Aries in a woman may fight with the spouse
My father has Venus in Aries, as do I (in Western and Vedic), and we both love to argue with anyone willing to argue back. Although, I also have Mars in Aries with a Mercury conjunction. Apropos for current transits. My father married once and did argue with his wife constantly - it was not a happy marriage. But that does not mean all Venus in Aries are cruel to their partners, of course. I tend to put people on pedestals because I have Sagittarian influences and a lot of Neptune in my chart, so I find it unlikely I'd be like my father in that regard. My mother had Venus in Scorpio, so I think their linked Venus debilitation was part of the appeal to one another (my father's Venus might in part describe her and their relationship). Some people with debilitated planets are attracted to others with dignified ones so that it balances things out better though, so I don't think it's true that a male will always seek a woman like his Venus, etc.

so I don't think it's true that a male will always seek a woman like his Venus, etc.
I completely agree! I actually have one quite funny example of this- my only male cousin (now 43yo) has Venus in Leo. He says that when he saw his wife for the first time, he stopped breathing for a moment. She was wearing "the most beautiful yellow gown, her legs looked so shiny and slim and she had just had her hair done and had beautiful curls". Obviously, she looked very much like a Leo-type woman. She was divorced with a child at the time (a lone lionessa with her child) . But, the truth is, she really isn't a Leo-type of woman. When I asked her about that evening, she said that she didn't feel comfortable wearing that dress at all- everyone was staring at her, and she doesn't like being in the center of attention. The 7th cusp and the Moon in my cousin's chart describe her much better. Her chart confirms it- she is a 'private' person. And she likes wearing green! :)
So, obviously, the yellow dress and her impressive looks did pull the trigger in the decisive moment but Venus in Leo in my cousin's chart does not describe his wife as a person. (They did paint their bedroom in yellow, 'tho! :D ).

When it comes to the number of potential marriages and description of the partners, personally, I would never use only one planet. Besides Venus, we have the 7th cusp and its ruler and the planets placed inside the 7th (if there are any, of course). Then the planets that make aspects to the 7th ruler and finally, male and female planets, for women and men respectively.

Unless the planet is unaspected, it will always combine the influence of the planets that are aspecting it with its position hence, it is impossible to bring a sound conclusion based solely upon the fact that Venus is, say, detrimental. I have a chart of a professional musician with fallen Venus in a cadent house (9th) as well as a chart of a sports coach with Mars in Taurus!

Another important thing worth keeping in mind is that conjunctions are neither good or bad by default and that they can sometimes be very tricky. Whilst a benevolent aspect of Mars and Venus can be helpful in building relationships with the opposite sex, the placement of the conjunction in houses and the essential dignities of the planets will determine as to how this influence will manifest. Mars and Venus are men and women and we want them in a good relationship but, it should not be forgotten they still represent two completely opposite principles!
Therefore, and unfortunately, the conjunction of these two planets can sometimes result in extremely stressful events. A few years ago, our national journals and newspapers were filled with photos of a young singer whose 'home video' had been stolen from her private computer and uploaded to the internet. I opened her chart and found Venus and Mars conjunct (sex) in Gemini (media). The exact time of her birth is not known but let us assume that the conjunction is positioned inside the 10th (public place) and we have a very strong indication of a sexual scandal threatening to ruin both her career and her life (as well as her partner's marriage).

The influence of Saturn is yet a another story- be it in a positive or negative aspect with Venus, it will affect the planet of love and transfer its nature onto it (coldness, loneliness, age difference, delays, temporary solitude, few relationships etc.). Again, in accordance with the nature of the aspect, the placement of the planets and their essential strength.

Finally, when it comes to these extremely stressful periods of life when everything seems to be falling apart, I am more inclined to believe that they are caused by a strong stressful influence of malefics in the natal chart of the person and triggered by a powerful direction or progression- those are the breaking points that some of the nativities have to go through and such storms can wipe out almost everything that the person had been working on for years. You can find many examples of this in charts of people born in the countries that have fallen apart over the past 20 years or have been caught by war. Families fall apart, people get injured, they lose homes, jobs and incomes (savings too), they lose members of their family...and it all happens in a very short period of time.

Cheers,
aglaya!
Last edited by aglaya on Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Marriage astrology

May I suggest, in view of the above comments and with regard to both today's royal marriage and to other nuptials, that one goes to the articles listed here at Skyscript under the heading 'Electional Astrology', especially to the insightful "Marriage Elections: Comparing Different Rules".